What is the danger of DHMO and why hasn't it been banned yet?

• Thread starter xJuggleboy
  • Start date
The dihydrogen monoxide hoax has been a source of Internet humor since 1997 when a 14-year-old student, Nathan Zohner, gathered petitions to ban the substance. In a science project, he warned that dihydrogen monoxide was lethal if breathed, corrodes metal and can cause severe burns.Zohner's project, titled "How Gullible Are We?" got 43 out of 50 people to sign a petition to ban DHMO. He was awarded a first-place prize at the Greater Idaho Falls Science Fair.In summary, DHMO, also known as Dihydrogen Monoxide, is a chemical compound that has been responsible for killing
xJuggleboy
DHMO, Dihydrogen Monoxide has been killing thousands of people a year. And yet nobody know of it! Why has this not yet been banned?! My work place has mass quantitys of it laying around and no MSDS for it what so ever! Be aware! Be safe! :tongue2:

For more information www.DHMO.com

My aplogeys...

WWW.DHMO.ORG is the web site

BEWARE!

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Mmmm dencap dental plans!

Perhaps this is the link you're after: http://www.dhmo.org

Is it PF policy to debunk this stuff or not? I don't want to put my foot in it!

Oh no, DHMO!

Somebody help, I'm addicted! If I don't get my fix I'll die, ahhhhhhhhhhhh! :rofl:

Well it was going along fine until I hit the part about it uses ...
in cult rituals
by both the KKK and the NAACP during rallies and marches,
by the clientele at a number of homosexual bath houses in New York City and San Francisco.
Too bad cause now they lost all creditability in my eyes, they should of just stayed with the facts.

xJuggleboy said:
DHMO, Dihydrogen Monoxide has been killing thousands of people a year. And yet nobody know of it!

:rofl: If you add the sharks to the drowning... :tongue2:

Daniel.

We've had discussions here before about DHMO and it is truly terrifying that the use of this substance remains uncontrolled.

Site said:
Recently, German analytical chemist Christoph von Bueltzingsloewen at the Universitaet Regensburg identified what may be key reasons why the dangers of DHMO are ever present. According to von Bueltzingsloewen, the chemical separation of dihydrogenoxide from the hazardous oxygendihydride is extremely difficult. The two similar compounds curiously occur in nearly equimolar distribution wherever they are found.

Priceless!:rofl:

Daniel.

website said:
A similar study conducted by U.S. researchers Patrick K. McCluskey and Matthew Kulick also found that nearly 90 percent of the citizens participating in their study were willing to sign a petition to support an outright ban on the use of Dihydrogen Monoxide in the United States.

Score!

Mmmm, it's also "a major component in acid rain". See what they've done there?!

I personally think the benefits of its use outweigh the risks. DHMO may have the capacity to take life, but research shows life could not have evolved or existed without some quantity of it[/faked-seriousness]

There's a showtime seriers(or used to be) that featured Penn and Teller ( http://www.sho.com/site/ptbs/home.do ) that discussed this very thing.

How many people have been killed by DHMO over the years? Sailors have died from exposure to it. Children have die from it. Pets have died from it. When will the madness cease!

This stuff can kill you any multiple forms also. DHMO has a relatively high freezing point thus forms a solid--which can and has killed people by falling on them!.

DHMO has a low boiling point which can, and has, killed people if they inhale it or simply injure/kill people if their skin is exposed.

DHMO in its liquid form has killed more people throughout history than smoking!

Stop the insanity.

There, I've said my peace.

matthyaouw said:
I personally think the benefits of its use outweigh the risks. DHMO may have the capacity to take life, but research shows life could not have evolved or existed without some quantity of it[/faked-seriousness]

The corporate tool of the man response. This stuff kills and that's all that matters. Pot kills that's why it is illegal even if there are positive uses. If a substance kills then we need to ban it; afterall, we live in a beautiful politically correct society don't we?

Carry on.

Wha would be the "positive uses" of pot...?:eek:

Daniel.

Its especially dangerous in the frozen condensed form. We can't get rid of it!

dextercioby said:
Wha would be the "positive uses" of pot...?:eek:

Daniel.

Not to derail this thread, but have you ever watched anyone die from cancer? Have or do you know anyone with severe glocoma. Those are the two main "positive" uses for pot.

Just my 2 cents.

Worse yet, this has become the performance enhancing drug of choice for those too intimidated by drug testing to try steroids. Current urinalysis tests don't even test for DHMO!

There's even an unsubstantiated rumor that prominent members of the USA Women's Soccer Team have used DHMO! Some of the Men's Olympic Basketball Dream Team has also been rumored to use DHMO, but that didn't seem to spark any drive to start testing for it in athletes.

Pain killers is one thing,dope is another.End of story.

BTW,did i hijack this tread,too...?

Daniel.

How the heck do people come up with this stuff? How long do you estimate it would take to put together a site like that? What's the point?

loseyourname said:
How long do you estimate it would take to put together a site like that?

I dunno, probably about the same time it might take to make 1,549 posts to a forum...

Wait, make at 1,550...

Well,LYN,scientists may have the sense of humor and,in spare time,they'd be more than willing to put it to good use...:wink:

Daniel.

Posted on Sun, Mar. 14, 2004

SoCal city falls victim to Internet hoax, considers banning items made with water

Associated Press

ALISO VIEJO, Calif. - City officials were so concerned about the potentially dangerous properties of dihydrogen monoxide that they considered banning foam cups after they learned the chemical was used in their production.

Then they learned that dihydrogen monoxide - H2O for short - is the scientific term for water.

"It's embarrassing," said City Manager David J. Norman. "We had a paralegal who did bad research."

The paralegal apparently fell victim to one of the many official looking Web sites that have been put up by pranksters to describe dihydrogen monoxide as "an odorless, tasteless chemical" that can be deadly if accidentally inhaled.

As a result, the City Council of this Orange County suburb had been scheduled to vote next week on a proposed law that would have banned the use of foam containers at city-sponsored events. Among the reasons given for the ban were that they were made with a substance that could "threaten human health and safety."

The measure has been pulled from the agenda, although Norman said the city may still eventually ban foam cups.

"Our main concern is with the Aliso Creek watershed," Norman said. "If you get Styrofoam into the water and it breaks apart, it's virtually impossible to clean up."
From http://www.mercurynews.com/mld/mercurynews/news/breaking_news/8185305.htm

Pseudopod, you spoilsport!

Pseudopod said:
From http://www.mercurynews.com/mld/mercurynews/news/breaking_news/8185305.htm

Who said they were a victem of a hoax?? This is real stuff and we need to be rid of it! This is no "joke". Ever hear of acid rain? Its nearly 90% Hydric acid! THose who beleve this is just some sort of internet prank have obviously not read the MSDS or any other information related to this stuff. :grumpy:

Hmm, need an account for that link xJuggleboy, and frankly, I can't be arsed to sign up. But I'm sure that it was supporting the cause, I think there are people who aren't taking this seriously enough...!

Sorry about that link... It was supposed to refence Pseudopods post... Dont go to it... Its a ridiculous article about some alleged "internet hoax". As I see it ALISO VIEJO, Calif. was taking the first step in the right direction! They were doing something about this horrid substance and were fooled into believing it was a joke! We must stop the insanity! :cry:

Haha they forgot to implicate "Dihydrogen monoxide" as a major source of global warming.

loseyourname said:
How the heck do people come up with this stuff? ... What's the point?

fame (2.6 million hits?) & t-shirt sales?

loseyourname said:
How the heck do people come up with this stuff? How long do you estimate it would take to put together a site like that? What's the point?

Cas its bad ickey stuff... Neer %99 of acid rain is Hydric Acid :yuck:

xJuggleboy said:
Cas its bad ickey stuff... Neer %99 of acid rain is Hydric Acid :yuck:

Near 99% of an atomic bomb is harmless metal.

100% of imprisoned men and women are addicted to DHMO, clearly its use leads to a life of crime.

Integral said:
100% of imprisoned men and women are addicted to DHMO, clearly its use leads to a life of crime.

And our children are exposed to this substance?! For shame.

All of the world's villains were also addicted to it, such as Stalin and Hitler. DHMO is also the cause of Ophelia's death in Hamlet. Nasty stuff, eh.

loseyourname said:
Near 99% of an atomic bomb is harmless metal.

And if 99% of an atomic bomb was ingested it would still kill you :tongue2:

Not to mention what would happen if you were exposed to a vaporised atomic bomb

1. What is DHMO and why is it dangerous?

DHMO (dihydrogen monoxide) is a colorless, odorless chemical compound that is found in many everyday substances, including water. While it is essential for life, it can also be dangerous in certain circumstances. In its liquid form, it can scald or drown individuals, and in its gaseous form, it can cause respiratory issues. Additionally, prolonged exposure to DHMO can lead to corrosion and damage to infrastructure.

2. How does DHMO affect the environment?

DHMO is a major contributor to the greenhouse effect and can lead to climate change. It also plays a role in the depletion of ozone in the atmosphere. Furthermore, DHMO pollution can harm aquatic life and disrupt ecosystems.

3. Why hasn't DHMO been banned yet?

DHMO is a vital component of many industrial processes and is used in a variety of products, making it difficult to completely ban. Additionally, it is not regulated as a hazardous substance by most governments, as it is generally considered safe in small amounts. However, there have been efforts to limit its use and raise awareness about its potential dangers.

4. Is DHMO harmful to human health?

In small amounts, DHMO is generally considered safe for human consumption. However, prolonged exposure or high concentrations can be harmful. Inhaling DHMO vapor can cause respiratory issues, and ingesting large amounts can lead to electrolyte imbalances and potentially be fatal.

5. How can individuals protect themselves from DHMO?

While it may not be possible to completely avoid DHMO, individuals can take steps to limit their exposure. This includes being cautious when handling chemicals that contain DHMO, using protective gear when working with DHMO, and being aware of potential sources of DHMO pollution in their environment.