Car negotiating bend - Forces

In summary, the conversation discusses the forces acting on a vehicle negotiating a bend at constant speed, and the confusion surrounding the different formulas used to calculate these forces. The main issue is determining the correct formula to use, with the conversation discussing equations involving gravity, normal force, friction, and centripetal acceleration. It is also noted that the force of friction may not always be equal to μN, and that some sources may use different signs for certain components. The conversation concludes with a thank you to the participants for their help and understanding of the topic.
timarli
Hi,

I am confused a little bit with the forces acting on a vehicle when it's negotiating a bend, at constant speed.

Please click the link to see my sketch.

W13638035282205281_1.jpg

On the plan view I see that it's moving with constant speed, along a circular route. That means there is unbalanced force causing central acceleration. F=mv2/R.

Then going to the section I showed the forces acting on the vehicle. Gravity, Normal Force and the friction. These should be the forces causing this F (central acceleration).

Equation 1, 2, 3 and 4 are the ones I have but somehow I couldn't get to the 5 which is given as the overall formula for such movements.

Can you please tell me what I am doing wrong? Thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
timarli said:
Hi,

I am confused a little bit with the forces acting on a vehicle when it's negotiating a bend, at constant speed.

Please click the link to see my sketch.

W13638035282205281_1.jpg

On the plan view I see that it's moving with constant speed, along a circular route. That means there is unbalanced force causing central acceleration. F=mv2/R.

Then going to the section I showed the forces acting on the vehicle. Gravity, Normal Force and the friction. These should be the forces causing this F (central acceleration).

Equation 1, 2, 3 and 4 are the ones I have but somehow I couldn't get to the 5 which is given as the overall formula for such movements.

Can you please tell me what I am doing wrong? Thanks in advance.
Equation #2 is the problem.

[itex]\displaystyle F_\text{f}=\mu N[/itex]

In your equation #5, shouldn't there be a minus sign in the denominator if [itex]\displaystyle \ \frac{v^2}{R}>g\tan(\theta)\ ?[/itex]

SammyS said:
Equation #2 is the problem.

[itex]\displaystyle F_\text{f}=\mu N[/itex]

In your equation #5, shouldn't there be a minus sign in the denominator if [itex]\displaystyle \ \frac{v^2}{R}>g\tan(\theta)\ ?[/itex]
Thanks SammyS.

Eq#2: if N=m.g.cos0 is not true then I'm more confused...But equation#5. I hope you are right. That's the main issue that confuses me; every source gives a different formula, some of them take the directions different, some of them find the signs of cos & sin different. I really don't understand how this thing can have so many variations...One other question; instead of breaking down everything along major x and y-axis es, can I use the inclined surface as my x and the perpendicular as y?

Fc.cos0=Ff+m.g.sin0 ?

timarli said:
Thanks SammyS.

Eq#2: if N=m.g.cos0 is not true then I'm more confused...

But equation#5. I hope you are right. That's the main issue that confuses me; every source gives a different formula, some of them take the directions different, some of them find the signs of cos & sin different. I really don't understand how this thing can have so many variations...

One other question; instead of breaking down everything along major x and y-axis es, can I use the inclined surface as my x and the perpendicular as y?

Fc.cos0=Ff+m.g.sin0 ?
Yes, you can do that.

Added in Edit:

The perpendicular component then gives:

FC sin(θ) + N = mg cos(θ) .

Last edited:
timarli said:
Eq#2: if N=m.g.cos0 is not true then I'm more confused...
If N=m.g.cosθ then there is no net force perpendicular to the plane. But Fc has a component in that direction, so this cannot be true.
Also, it is not true in general that the force of static friction is given by Fsf = Nμs. That's the limiting case, i.e. |Fsf| ≤ Nμs. For the max speed, Fsf = Nμs, assuming Fsf is measured down the plane. But, measuring it the same way, there may also be a minimum speed given by Fsf = -Nμs.

Using your sketch showing the vehicle on the inclined roadway, I get the following.

Of course, the magnitude of the force of friction is given by
[itex]\displaystyle
F_\text{f}=\mu N[/itex]​

The sum of the forces in the vertical direction is:
[itex]\displaystyle
N\cos(\theta)-F_\text{f}\sin(\theta)-mg=0[/itex]

Therefore,

[itex]\displaystyle N\cos(\theta)-\mu N\sin(\theta)-mg=0[/itex]​
Solve that for N.

The sum of the forces in the vertical direction is:
[itex]\displaystyle
N\sin(\theta)+F_\text{f}\cos(\theta)=ma_c\,, \ [/itex] where aC is the centripetal acceleration.

That becomes [itex]\displaystyle \ \ N\sin(\theta)+\mu N\cos(\theta)=ma_c\ . [/itex]​
I realize that I didn't use the centripetal force, FC explicitly. I find it's clearer for me to do it this way.

haruspex said:
If N=m.g.cosθ then there is no net force perpendicular to the plane. But Fc has a component in that direction, so this cannot be true.
Also, it is not true in general that the force of static friction is given by Fsf = Nμs. That's the limiting case, i.e. |Fsf| ≤ Nμs. For the max speed, Fsf = Nμs, assuming Fsf is measured down the plane. But, measuring it the same way, there may also be a minimum speed given by Fsf = -Nμs.
haruspex makes a good point regarding μN being the maximum possible frictional force.

Therefore, your results are for the maximum speed possible, our equivalently they're for the minimum value of μ needed to negotiate the curve under the specified conditions .

haruspex said:

I couldn't understand the first part. To me, Fc is a resultant force, it's not a force acting on the body so I always thought I can not write it as "m.g.cos0-Fc.sin0 = N". I don't know why because the same thing makes sense to me for the other axis ie. "Fc.cos0=Ff+m.g.sin0". :S

Looks like I am misinterpreting some fundamental rules.

I got it! I understand what you mean now. When I use the secondary axis es (along the slope and perpendicular) and think of the position of the object 2 seconds later I can see the acceleration along both axis es.

Thank you very much SammyS and haruspex! I understand what you are saying about the friction and I will look at the minimum speed version tomorrow - to make sure I understood :) and probably post again if I can't figure that out.

You were really helpful...thanks again.

1. What is a car negotiating bend?

A car negotiating bend refers to the process of a car navigating through a curved section of a road. This requires the driver to adjust the steering and speed of the car to maintain control and safely maneuver through the bend.

2. What forces are involved in a car negotiating bend?

The main forces involved in a car negotiating bend are centripetal force and centrifugal force. Centripetal force is the force that pulls the car towards the center of the bend, while centrifugal force is the force that tries to push the car away from the center of the bend. These forces act in opposite directions and must be balanced for the car to successfully navigate the bend.

3. How does the speed of the car affect the negotiating bend?

The speed of the car greatly affects the negotiating bend. The faster the car is traveling, the larger the centrifugal force will be, making it more difficult for the car to stay on the road and navigate the bend. It is important to adjust the speed according to the curvature of the bend to maintain control and avoid accidents.

4. What role does the steering of the car play in a negotiating bend?

The steering of the car is crucial in a negotiating bend. It allows the driver to control the direction of the car and adjust the angle of the wheels to maintain balance and control. Proper steering technique is essential for successfully navigating a bend, especially at higher speeds.

5. How can I improve my negotiating bend skills?

Improving your negotiating bend skills requires practice and understanding of the forces involved. It is important to start at slower speeds and gradually increase as you become more comfortable. Additionally, learning proper steering techniques and understanding the physics behind the forces involved can greatly improve your skills in navigating bends.