Gravitational time dilation reason

In summary: I'm not saying it's true.)3) Photon has now gained mgH in energy. (This is because its mass has increased by mgH.)4) Photon is now at altitude=R+mgH.5) The photon can be dropped back to the surface and the process can be repeated.
Hi WannabeNewton!

The last part of this statement:

The position of ##O'## will be given by ##z_{O'} = \frac{1}{2}gt^{2}## and the position of ##O## will be given by ##z_{O} = h + gt^{2}##.

has to be wrong.

Because the change in z should be the same for both O and O', right?

By the way, shouldn't g be substituted for the more general a while the rocket is moving upwards?

Roger

Physics news on Phys.org
No roger ##z_{O}## and ##z_{O'}## don't represent changes in ##z## in the manner of which you speak. They simply track the positions of ##O## and ##O'## respectively relative to the origin of the inertial frame (which is at ##z = 0##).

##g## is just a label here. It was chosen as the label because in this example the rocket is at rest on the Earth so via the equivalence principle it's acceleration is ##g##.

Hi WannabeNewton!

So zo-zo' should not equal h?

Do you mind explaining why?

Roger

What? Yes ##z_{O} - z_{O'} = h## but how does that relate to your statement in post #36? This represents the distance between the two observers, not the position of the individual observers themselves relative to the inertial frame.

Last edited:
Post #36:

[tex]z_0=h+gt^2[/tex]

and

[tex]z_0'=\frac{1}{2}gt^2[/tex]

then

[tex]z_0-z_0'=h+\frac{1}{2}gt^2[/tex]

which has to be wrong, right?

Roger

Oh sorry, there should be a ##\frac{1}{2}## in front of the ##gt^2## for ##z_{O}##. My bad, I totally missed that! Sorry I wrote that original post up in a haste, so I made some careless errors.

I knew it!

I knew I was right!

But don't feel sorry, I will get back to you with more questions to be sorry about ;)

Roger