Tips for Cramming Physics Definitions & Concepts

• Thread starter smart_worker
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Physics
In summary, this school does not allow for creativity or deviation from the textbook-format. This may be why many students are turned off by the subject.
Some in India attribute the present system to Indian of memorising ancient texts. Others say that it was introduced by British a century ago. But whatever it is ,the authorities in my state should change and know what is happening around the world. I do doubt whether the educational officers are in online forums(like physics forums)..

Physics news on Phys.org
hi sharan swarup! :smile:

(btw, there's no need to quote the whole of a previous post :wink:)
sharan swarup said:
If a question does not allow us to express ourselves as an induvidual , how can that question be said to test our understanding and not our writing skills? In fact the question neither tests our understanding and writing skills, but tests only our memory.

i] how do you prefer to define force?

i ask in order to test whether you show fresh insight (which is good), or creativity (which is bad)

ii] you were only in high school, and you were being prepared for proper learning

it may be frustrating to have to wait until university before you can apply your knowledge and understanding by solving problems and finding new insights and ways of describing things …

but pre-university exams and grades are (partly) designed to make sure that lecturers will be able to give lectures which assume that everyone present has a knowledge of certain basics

(and if you're getting bored in physics classes because physics is too unchallenging, then spend the time reading history or some other subject you find difficult!)

iii] ok, rote memory can be accompanied by no understanding at all

eg memorising a list of dates of emperors or battles, or a list of all the bones in the wrist or the muscles in the leg, does not imply that you know anything about those emperors or battles or bones or muscles at all …

but it does mean that when you read about a particular battle or bone or muscle in future, you'll (literally) know where it fits in with everything else

shawrix said:
Exactly. Atleast 40 to 45 percent of the paper is based on old papers and even some questions are repeated again and again. This encourages cramming...This comment made me recheck on google if there are other countries in world called 'India'.
How many India's are there in the world?
I am residing in India now and i know well what i am saying.I don't agree.
Not talking about toppers, you can easily score 75 percent and above by studying for last three months. I did that and its no miracle, the question papers and the 'high' quality checking makes it simple.Some in India attribute the present system to Indian of memorising ancient texts. Others say that it was introduced by British a century ago. But whatever it is ,the authorities in my state should change and know what is happening around the world. I do doubt whether the educational officers are in online forums(like physics forums)..
why is this thread turning out to be a different discussion