What Are The Career Paths in Pure, Applied, and Engineering Physics?

In summary, the difference between pure, applied, and engineering physics is that pure physics focuses on mathematical and abstract concepts while engineering physics has a more practical approach. Pure physics can provide a deeper understanding of nature's behavior, but may not directly lead to tangible applications. Engineering physics, on the other hand, focuses on applying physics principles to practical problems.
Physicslover
Hey guys, i am new at this so i am just going in straight. I am wondering what is the difference in pure/applied/engineering physics and where they can lead me in life and probably how i get there? hoping for a reply. Thx in advance. This is for education purpose :D

Physics news on Phys.org
Well I'll try to answer in a very general way. I study pure physics, when you take this route, by the time you are in third year like me the course becomes extremely mathematical and abstract. You delve further into the realms of quantum mechanics, particle physics, and solid state and the direct applications for all of this knowledge you're obtaining are quite often not obvious at all. On the other hand if you take the engineering route, the course will be less mathematical and focussed on applications. For example you will learn about the MOSFET and its construction and focus less on the full derivation and theory underlying its working. You're still doing physics though, so still expect a lot of maths, I just doubt that you would have so much focus on group theory etc.

In summary (my opinion) you will have a deeper understanding of natures behaviour by taking pure physics, but inmost cases you will be less prepared to use this understanding to think of a 'useful' application for the near future.

thank you for the advice

1. What is the purpose of education guidance?

Education guidance helps individuals make informed decisions about their education and career paths. It provides support in identifying strengths, interests, and goals, and helps individuals navigate the educational system to achieve their desired outcomes.

2. Who can benefit from education guidance?

Education guidance can benefit anyone at any stage of their education, from high school students considering college options to adults seeking to change careers. It can also be helpful for individuals who are unsure about their interests and need guidance in choosing a suitable educational path.

3. How does education guidance differ from career counseling?

Education guidance focuses specifically on helping individuals make decisions related to their education, such as choosing a major, selecting courses, and applying to schools. Career counseling, on the other hand, focuses on career exploration, job search strategies, and professional development.

4. What are some common methods used in education guidance?

Some common methods used in education guidance include aptitude and interest assessments, one-on-one counseling sessions, and workshops or group sessions. These methods help individuals gain self-awareness and make informed decisions about their education and career paths.

5. Can education guidance guarantee success?

Education guidance does not guarantee success, as success ultimately depends on an individual's effort and determination. However, education guidance can provide valuable support and resources to help individuals make informed decisions and set achievable goals, increasing their chances of success in their educational and career pursuits.