Schrödinger equation and equivalence principle

In summary: It is just an introduction to the expression of the SE in different frames (earth is a rotating frame => validity of the approximations we are doing in the lab): a constantly accelerated frame introduce the additional potential U(X')= mgX' in the unitary evolution of the state. We can see how it may change the eigenvalues of the Schrödinger equation, but the Hamiltonian is still the same and can be solved in the same way.
hellfire
Science Advisor
May be this is a silly question, but if one converts the nonrelativistic Schrödinger equation for a free particle to an uniformly accelerated frame, is the result the same as the Schrödinger equation for a particle within a gravitational potential? I was trying some simple calculations but did not have any success.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hold on a second, what do you mean by "writing the SE in a uniformy accelerated frame" ?

I've never seen accelerated frames of reference in (nonrelativistic) quantum mechanics.

Daniel.

Make a coordinate change:
x' = x - 1/2 a t2
t' = t

dextercioby said:
I've never seen accelerated frames of reference in (nonrelativistic) quantum mechanics.
Me neither. Thats why I am not sure whether the question is meaninful at all.

Last edited:
You can't really do that, since in QM everything (every observable, that is) except time is a densly defined selfadjoint linear operator on a separable Hilbert space. You can use the coordinate representation in order to make things less abstract, but i still don't see how you can fit this noNewtonian piece of dynamics into quantum mechanics.
I don't know how you can fit it into ordinary classical lagrangian/ hamiltonian dynamics, actually.

I don't know many. :redface:

Daniel.

My guess is that you would go through the standard routine of finding the classical Hamiltonian and turning it into a quantum operator. So you would start out with a new Lagrangian:
[tex]\mathcal{L} = \sum_{\imath} \frac{1}{2} m (\dot{q})^2 + V(q) [/tex]
where [tex]q' = q - 1/2 a t^2 [/tex] and figure out the Hamiltonian from the definition of generalized momentum and such.

However, this seems like an unpleasant choice, as it would make your whole Hamiltonian time-dependent, which makes the Schrodinger equation a whole new beast to solve.

See the nice paper arxiv quant-ph/0105074, Pravabati Chingangbam and Pankaj Sharan, 2001: Pseudo forces in QM.

Seratend.

Thank you for your answers. So, putting things together (please correct me if I am wrong).

I will take:

[tex] \psi = e^{\lambda} \bar{\psi}[/tex]
[tex]x = \bar{x} + \frac{1}{2} a t^2[/tex]

Then I assume this is the way to proceed:

[tex]L = \frac{1}{2} m \dot{x}^2 = \frac{1}{2} m (\dot{\bar{x}} + at)^2[/tex]

[tex]H = \bar{p} \dot{\bar{x}} - L[/tex]

with

[tex]\bar{p} = \frac{\partial L}{\partial \dot{\bar{x}}} = m (\dot{\bar{x}} + at)[/tex]

Thus:

[tex]H = \frac{1}{2} m (\dot{\bar{x}}^2 - a^2 t^2)[/tex]

and

[tex]i \hbar \frac{\partial \bar{\psi}}{\partial t} = \left( \frac{- \hbar^2}{2m} \frac{\partial^2}{\partial \bar{x}^2} - a^2t^2 \right) e^{\lambda} \bar{\psi}[/tex]

At the end, and according to page 4 of that paper, I should make a choice for [tex]\lambda[/tex] such that the last expression reduces to the SE in a gravitational potential for [tex]\bar{\psi}[/tex], right?

hellfire said:
Thank you for your answers. So, putting things together (please correct me if I am wrong).

I will take:

At the end, and according to page 4 of that paper, I should make a choice for [tex]\lambda[/tex] such that the last expression reduces to the SE in a gravitational potential for [tex]\bar{\psi}[/tex], right?

Note exactly. Beginning of section V says that you recover the equivalence principle if you multiply the wave function by an ad hoc phase (potential -mgX'). While, with group symmetry, you recover this solution in a more formal way (cf formula 46 vs 41 p4).

Seratend.

There was an error in the last equation of my last post. It should be:

[tex]i \hbar \frac{\partial \bar{\psi}}{\partial t} = \left( \frac{- \hbar^2}{2m} \frac{\partial^2}{\partial \bar{x}^2} + at \frac{\partial}{\partial \bar{x}} \right) e^{\lambda} \bar{\psi}[/tex]

It looks weird...

Last edited:
hellfire said:
There was an error in the last equation of my last post. It should be:

[tex]i \hbar \frac{\partial \bar{\psi}}{\partial t} = \left( \frac{- \hbar^2}{2m} \frac{\partial^2}{\partial \bar{x}^2} - at \frac{\partial}{\partial \bar{x}} - 2 m a^2t^2 \right) e^{\lambda} \bar{\psi}[/tex]

It looks weird...

Not so weird : ).
Hint: use the formula (a+b)^2=a^2+2ab+b^2

Seratend.

I am sorry, but it seams that the formula was wrong again (I get confused with p and pbar). I have corrected my previous post. The Hamiltonian:

[tex]H = \frac{1}{2} m (\dot{\bar{x}}^2 - a^2 t^2)[/tex]

is equivalent to:

[tex]H = \frac{\bar{p}^2}{2m} - at\bar{p}[/tex]

with [tex]\bar{p} = m(\dot{\bar x} + at)[/tex]

(May be someone could check that and the SE in my previous post). The question is how to proceed then...

Last edited:
Apply the derivative operator in the hamiltonian H to exp(lamba) using the expression (42) page 4 and verify you recover 42 (correct the errors you have): (40) => (43) when psi(x)=exp(lambda(x',t)), expression (42)

Seratend

The point being that it such a change only complicates the Schrodinger equation more than it, in general, already is.

MalleusScientiarum said:
The point being that it such a change only complicates the Schrodinger equation more than it, in general, already is.
It is just an introduction to the expression of the SE in different frames (earth is a rotating frame => validity of the approximations we are doing in the lab): a constantly accelerated frame introduce the additional potential U(X')= mgX' in the unitary evolution of the state. We can see how it may change the eigenvalues of the hamiltonian.

Seratend.

I can see already that they will have a time dependence.

I made the calculations with some more care and it seams it works. Taking:

I get the hamiltonian I mentioned above and the SE:

[tex]i \hbar \frac{\partial}{\partial t} (e^{\lambda} \bar{\psi}) = \left( \frac{- \hbar^2}{2m} \frac{\partial^2}{\partial \bar{x}^2} + i \hbar at \frac{\partial}{\partial \bar{x}} \right) e^{\lambda} \bar{\psi}[/tex]

This can be written as:

[tex]i \hbar \frac{\partial \bar{\psi}}{\partial t} = \left( \frac{- \hbar^2}{2m} \frac{\partial^2}{\partial \bar{x}^2} + V \right) \bar{\psi}[/tex]

With:

[tex]\lambda = \frac{i m a}{\hbar} \left( \bar{x} t + \frac{1}{6}a t^3 \right)[/tex]

which gives [tex]V = m a \bar{x}[/tex]

Note, however, that my [tex]\lambda[/tex] differs from the one in quant-ph/0105074 by one sign. Probably I have missed some sign somewhere, but I think I can conclude that the phase factor can be chosen properly to fit with the equivalence principle.

hellfire said:

Note, however, that my [tex]\lambda[/tex] differs from the one in quant-ph/0105074 by one sign. Probably I have missed some sign somewhere, but I think I can conclude that the phase factor can be chosen properly to fit with the equivalence principle.

Very good.

In fact you have choosen [itex]x = \bar{x} + \frac{1}{2} a t^2[/itex] instead of [itex] \bar{x} = x + \frac{1}{2} a t^2[/itex] (see (39)) hence the difference of sign in [itex]\lambda [/itex].

Seratend.

OK! Thank you for your help.

What is the Schrödinger equation?

The Schrödinger equation is a mathematical formula that describes the behavior of quantum particles, such as electrons, in a given system. It was developed by Austrian physicist Erwin Schrödinger in 1926 and is a fundamental equation in quantum mechanics.

What does the Schrödinger equation tell us?

The Schrödinger equation describes the time evolution of a quantum system, including how the wave function of a particle changes over time. It is used to calculate the probability of finding a particle in a particular location or state, and can also predict the behavior of multiple particles in a system.

What is the equivalence principle?

The equivalence principle is a fundamental concept in physics that states that the effects of gravity are indistinguishable from the effects of acceleration. This means that an observer in a gravitational field cannot distinguish between being at rest in that field or being in an accelerating reference frame.

How is the Schrödinger equation related to the equivalence principle?

The Schrödinger equation takes into account the effects of gravity on quantum particles, making it consistent with the principles of general relativity, including the equivalence principle. This allows it to accurately describe the behavior of particles in a gravitational field.

What are the applications of the Schrödinger equation and equivalence principle?

The Schrödinger equation is a key tool in understanding and predicting the behavior of quantum systems, which has many practical applications in fields such as chemistry, materials science, and electronics. The equivalence principle is also crucial in modern physics, particularly in the study of gravity and the development of theories such as general relativity.