Is the Heisenberg Uncertainty Principle Limited to Momentum?

• Thread starter member 11137
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Hup Time
In summary, the conversation discusses the Heisenberg's uncertainty principle and how it relates to the propagation of light. It is pointed out that the principle deals with momentum, not velocity, and that even though the speed of light is known, its momentum can still be uncertain, leading to an uncertainty in its wavelength. The conversation also mentions that no light source is completely monochromatic and that the HUP always holds true.
member 11137
Sorry for this first year level question but something is really not clear in my head concerning the Heisenberg's uncertainty principle. First remark: my question here is neither a critic of this principle nor a tentative to collapse it. No; I consider the propagation of the light in the air or in vacuum. I stay at the origin of an inertial frame. I know via experiments two things: 1) the speed of light with a hight precision (c); 2) the trajectory of the light: it is automatically going straightforward as long as the beam does not encounter a mirror, a prism, a big concentration of matter, ... So: I can predict the position and the speed simultaneously ! What is wrong in this manner to present the reality ? Thanks for the help because I get some panic with this. Must I think that the trajectory only is an average one? I know: it must be unpleasant to always repeat the same things ...

Physics news on Phys.org
Do you know diffraction? If yes how can you predict with certainty the position of a photon within a beam of light?

Seratend.

The uncertainty principle deals with momentum, not velocity. The momentum of a photon is related to its wavelength by [itex]p = h / \lambda[/itex]. So, even though the speed of a light beam is exactly known (in vacuum), its momentum can still be uncertain. This corresponds to an uncertainty in the wavelength. No light source is completely monochromatic. Even a laser has a small but finite spread in wavelengths.

jtbell said:
The uncertainty principle deals with momentum, not velocity.
Of course ! Oh I am so sorry: I think I need holydays... Thanks for the rapid answer; to seratend too.

jtbell said:
The uncertainty principle deals with momentum, not velocity. The momentum of a photon is related to its wavelength by [itex]p = h / \lambda[/itex]. So, even though the speed of a light beam is exactly known (in vacuum), its momentum can still be uncertain. This corresponds to an uncertainty in the wavelength. No light source is completely monochromatic. Even a laser has a small but finite spread in wavelengths.

Just to add to this excellent answer...

Momentum commutes with position within the context of the HUP. Momentum, of course, having 2 components, one of which is the velocity which can be considered constant and known. The other component therefore exhibits the expected uncertainty as described above.

Funny that no matter how you approach it, the HUP alway comes out intact.

1. What is the meaning of "HUP"?

HUP is an acronym for "Helsinki University of Physics". It is a research institute located in Finland that specializes in the fields of particle physics, nuclear physics, and cosmology.

2. What does "once more time" refer to in the phrase "HUP; once more time"?

"Once more time" is a phrase commonly used in science to indicate repeating an experiment or study to confirm results. In this context, it refers to the ongoing research and studies conducted at Helsinki University of Physics.

3. What type of research does HUP focus on?

Helsinki University of Physics primarily focuses on research in the fields of particle physics, nuclear physics, and cosmology. This includes studying the fundamental particles and forces that make up the universe, as well as the origins and evolution of the universe.

4. How does HUP contribute to the scientific community?

HUP contributes to the scientific community through its research, publications, and collaborations with other institutions. Its advancements in particle physics, nuclear physics, and cosmology have contributed to our understanding of the universe and have been influential in the development of new technologies.

5. Can anyone access the research conducted at HUP?

Yes, the research conducted at HUP is publicly available through publications and presentations. However, accessing the physical facilities and equipment at HUP may require permission or collaboration with researchers at the institute.