The Differences Between Physicists and Engineers

• Thread starter Lisa!
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Physicists
In summary, the conversation revolves around the differences and similarities between engineers and physicists. The original person who started the thread was inspired by a book that claimed engineers work more with their hands while physicists work more with their minds. However, other participants in the conversation point out that this is not always the case and that both fields are necessary for society. They also discuss the different approaches and knowledge bases of engineers and physicists, but ultimately conclude that there are more similarities than differences between the two professions.
FredGarvin said:
Ask me what time it is and I'll tell you. Ask a physicist what time it is and they'll tell you how to build a clock.

I see it this way: The average person tells you what time it is, the engineer tells you how to build a clock, the physicist tells you about GR, and the philosopher asks if time really exists.

Physics news on Phys.org
Ivan Seeking said:
I see it this way: The average person tells you what time it is, the engineer tells you how to build a clock, the physicist tells you about GR, and the philosopher asks if time really exists.
Reminds me of something we used to say about consultants..

Consultant: Person who borrows your watch to tell you what time it is.

Math Is Hard said:
Reminds me of something we used to say about consultants..

Consultant: Person who borrows your watch to tell you what time it is.

Thats esp funny since my latest project contract requires my customer to supply me with all of the required programming software. :biggrin:

motai said:
Bah. :grumpy:

My handwriting is extremely small, but very intricate (not too articulate though) and precise. I can fit 9 of my lines (probably more now if I have a super-sharp pencil) onto one college-ruled line. If an advanced civilization stumbles onto one of my notes, they will think that they found the Rosetta Stone or something. :biggrin:

My question is... is this a strange genetic defect ingrained into my personality, or am I just odd? My grandfather also writes like I do, he's also the sciency-type. :tongue2:

Oh, it is just as small now, if not even smaller. :rolleyes:

edit: my linky no worky.

My handwriting was very tiny when I was still in high school, but then my old, half-blind professors complained they couldn't read my handwriting without a magnifying glass (my post-doc mentor really appreciated it if you typed everything in 14 or 16 point font :bugeye:), so I started writing bigger, but then my handwriting also got sloppier. :frown:

Moonbear said:
My handwriting was very tiny when I was still in high school, but then my old, half-blind professors complained they couldn't read my handwriting without a magnifying glass (my post-doc mentor really appreciated it if you typed everything in 14 or 16 point font :bugeye:), so I started writing bigger, but then my handwriting also got sloppier. :frown:

I am probably going to have to do the same... so much for the "Ancient-Tome" style mass gatherings of information onto a single page. I can write much larger, but the writing usually gets slanted, uneven, and sloppier than when I write small (then again, one must write small when writing at those sizes, elsewise nothing could be read). :grumpy:

Perhaps I could supplement a living by working part time in the art industry, writing people's names on grains of rice. :rolleyes:

Scientist Make The World The Way It Is...engineers Make The World As It Was Never Been Before!

Phycicsist Make The World The Way It Is...engineers Make The World As It Has Never Been Before...!

Ivan Seeking said:
Not at all, but I think this may depend on your definition of religion.

But sure enough we can't discuss(or even ask about) everyone's definition of religion in this site, can we? Isn't it a kind of dogma that we can't discuss religion everywhere? :uhh:

Lisa! said:
But sure enough we can't discuss(or even ask about) everyone's definition of religion in this site, can we? Isn't it a kind of dogma that we can't discuss religion everywhere? :uhh:

Nope. Discussions of religion has soften ended in justa hurling of insultd between diffreent members, that it HAD to be banned from discussion.

young e. said:
Phycicsist Make The World The Way It Is...engineers Make The World As It Has Never Been Before...!
Engineers make the world - physicists explain it.

russ_watters said:
Oh, so that's why physics is considered so difficult - they have to try to explain what engineers have done! :rofl: :rofl: (Sorry, you walked right into that one.)

I want to rewrite my imaginary post:

russ_watters said:
Physicists make a world too. Imaginary world of course! :rolleyes:

We all know that a super-intelligent race of beings known as white mice made the world. Engineers rearrange it.

Ivan Seeking said:
We all know that a super-intelligent race of beings known as white mice made the world. Engineers rearrange it.

rearrange it? well you need to destroy it first and then rearrange it!

Can u live now without engineers? No..

Engineers and physicists need each other.

russ_watters said:
:confused: very strange observation. You are wrong though, it is : physicists invent and engineers implement...hence, the only true engineer is a physicist. Or is it : the only true physicist is an engineer ? arrgg, what do i care :zzz:

regards
marlon

marlon said:
physicists invent and engineers implement

Exactly!

marlon said:
...hence, the only true engineer is a physicist. Or is it : the only true physicist is an engineer ? arrgg, what do i care :zzz:

regards
marlon

path of the Physicist is obviously longer but on an earlier stage coincides with the path of Engineer!

Scientists in general don't invent...They observe and try to explain..

Engineers can invent something that is an application for this discovery or observation..

In both cases imagination is needed, a certain way of seeing things is needed, a method is needed..

It differs, for engineers u've to be practical, a physicist can have all the time in the world...It's a character and it depends, there r no rules for that kinda of thing..

Nomy-the wanderer said:
Scientists in general don't invent...They observe and try to explain..
Isn't the explaining about inventing new models to fit experimental data, hmmm ? Duuhh :rolleyes:

Engineers can invent something that is an application for this discovery or observation..
How on Earth can you build a practical implementation of something new if you are not able to fully caracterize it ? Where do you think this caracterization come from ? Devine intervention ?
for engineers u've to be practical,

Ever heard of an experimental physicist ?

a physicist can have all the time in the world...
if you are a physicist yourself i want to ask you : where do you work ?
if you are no physicist i want to say to you : you obviously do not have any idea about what a physicist is and what he/she does

marlon

marlon said:
if you are a physicist yourself i want to ask you : where do you work ?
if you are no physicist i want to say to you : you obviously do not have any idea about what a physicist is and what he/she does

marlon

A physicist passes time on the name of doing abstract things which peoples say research..
They get invitations for international conferences and you can find them sleeping during conferences/lectures and wondering actively on the tourist spots after that..
They eat choclates,ice creams,sleep a lot,and when they have nothing to do,think a bit sitting on armchair about their dreams which they could not fulfill!
How is my conception of Physicists! :biggrin:

A physicist is a person who says things which no one can understand it even himself or herself. For a physicist everything means physics even their jokes are base on physics rules.

Lisa! said:
A physicist is a person who says things which no one can understand it even himself or herself..

Exactly!Sometimes they don't even have idea of what they are talking! :biggrin:

Lisa! said:
For a physicist everything means physics even their jokes are base on physics rules.

Bad Jokes! :rofl:

marlon said:
Isn't the explaining about inventing new models to fit experimental data, hmmm ? Duuhh :rolleyes:

No it isn't, this isn't an invention, this is an explanation...This is something that is there, that u study and u explain it, work out models to fit and stuff, it needs imagination and creation..But it's not something that wasn't there...Based on what u understand as a physicist, an engineer can make machines that were never there before, and therefore it can be called an invention..Theories are about things that do exist, so once u start making theories about things that doesn't exist, u r inventing and when u r inventing, people won't give u much attention cause u r talking nonesense..Just like when Galileo said the Earth is round, and everyone thought it wasn't but later when they proved it, people said he was right, but Galileo wasn't dreaming and wasn't inventing something that wasn't there clearly and that's why they beleived him later..

marlon said:
How on Earth can you build a practical implementation of something new if you are not able to fully caracterize it ?

Have i said that physicists are not needed or useless?? Not at all, i just said that practicality is what an engineer is all about

marlon said:
Ever heard of an experimental physicist ?

Have i said that physicists never work their hands?

definition for practicality:concerned with actual use rather than theoretical possibilities
http://wordnet.princeton.edu/perl/webwn?s=practicality

Isn't that what engineers do?

Last edited by a moderator:
heman said:
Exactly!Sometimes they don't even have idea of what they are talking! :biggrin:
Because physicists' mind work faster than their tongue! :wink:

So you are an Physicist :biggrin:

heman said:
So you are an Physicist :biggrin:
Why are you insulting at me or perhaps physicists? :cry: :biggrin:

Nomy-the wanderer said:
No it isn't, this isn't an invention, this is an explanation...This is something that is there, that u study and u explain it, work out models to fit and stuff, it needs imagination and creation..

Err, what about all the theoretical models that predicted physical quantities like anti-matter, quarks,...which weren't experimentally observed decades later. For example, anti matter was a consequence of a theoretical model that was not INVENTED to describe anti-matter, because it was not yet known. I hope you see your mistakes. Besides, the argument that 'it is already there' is very lame. For example, electrons 'have always been there' but the theoretical model that describes their dynamics (ie quantum mechanics) is not just something that was already there. you are missing the point that physics is an abstract mathematical version of what is going on in nature. The clue is to link physical phenomena with mathematical equations.

...Based on what u understand as a physicist, an engineer can make machines that were never there before, and therefore it can be called an invention..
this is contradictory since the models that an engineer uses are created by the physicist. The engineer merely implements them in order to create a product that respects certain benchmarks. In this respect, engineers create something that already has been described in theory...

about things that doesn't exist, u r inventing a

So by implication, a physicist invents and an engineer implements...voilà

Have i said that physicists are not needed or useless??

That was not my point

Not at all, i just said that practicality is what an engineer is all about

Untrue, read the above answers

Have i said that physicists never work their hands?

No you did not. When did i claim that you did ?

regards
marlon

Alright Marlon, maybe it's linguistics that are standing in the way here's what the longman good old dictionary says(if my concept is wrong u cna blame the dictionary for it):"invent:USAGE One discoveres something that existed before but was not known,such as place .One invents something that didn't exist before, such as a machine."

So for me inventing is about something that is there for the 1st time, there was no telephones, airplanes, trains, or kitchen machines all over on earth, until someone invented these stuff, based on what?? Based on either a simple observation, or a theory(if it's a mere invention, if it explains something that does not exist than it cannot be valid), or a valid fact explained or experimented by a physicist...Physicist need to be creative and have wild imagination to make models, methods, theories...

Maybe i am mistaken and i don't understand u, cause i do not have the same definitions as u...But this is what i think.And instead of writing invented in caps u could simply tell me how u define that...

I understand u mean by inventing, that the models the theories, weren't written all over stuff, i know..But i believe that mathematics are there, as u said mathematics is the language u express physics, but i also believe that mathematics is existent before we can put definitions for it, it's all over, and it makes u use it and think of it. I donno how to say that in a more understandable way, but i think that sciences in general pushes us to discover more, it's something beyond our control..

In a way an engineer could be a physicist and vice versa...But still engineers need to be practical, and if they r not, they should look for another job...Physicists do not have to think about money, and there shouldn't be money problems for them, u hire an engineer to save u money...

Nomy-the wanderer said:
Physicists do not have to think about money, and there shouldn't be money problems for them,
I am sorry but this is just incorrect. You obviously do not have any experience with the conditions in which physicists have to work nowadays.

regards
marlon

Whatever u r convinced i am mistaken and I've no idea of anything, I'm not talking aboiut what a physicist have to face nowadays, I'm generalizing, besides it's useless to go further into this discussion...

Nomy-the wanderer said:
Whatever u r convinced i am mistaken and I've no idea of anything, I'm not talking aboiut what a physicist have to face nowadays, I'm generalizing,

What are you generalizing ? You mean the activities of a physicist ? Why won't you accept you are wrong ?

besides it's useless to go further into this discussion...
Really ? :rolleyes:

marlon

Yeah when u can see a dead end, u better not go futher...It's pretty useless Mr. rolleyes...

Nomy-the wanderer said:
Yeah when u can see a dead end, u better not go futher...It's pretty useless Mr. rolleyes...
please do not avoid my question. I asked you how on Earth can you generalize the physicist's working environment ? How do you achieve such generalization ? You generalize this with respect to what exactly ?

regards
marlon

I'm not trying to avoid anything but to stupify myself writing a 1000 useless posts, because u don't want me to avoid ur questions, u just think u r having a combat u should win, because now u say i should say that I'm mistaken and now u want me to declare my defeat...But this ain't how i look to a conversation, a conversation is something u give and another u get, and i don't think that's what we r having here...

What am i generalizing?? Obviously u care mroe about words than phrases, u learn as an engineer that the only use of u, the thing that u and only u can do, is to create the best possible tool to serve ur need spending the less possible amount of money...But from my 1st minute and this is what an engineer is:money saver...U need tyo be accurate, practical, and u always have to think about reducing the costs. This u get by experience I've to admit, but a physicist job isn't to save money...

Can u argue with that?? Of course nowadays saving money is needed, but if a company wants to imporve, gets higher quality, saves more money, it needs an engineer not a physicist...

Clear? Now keep that in mind..I hope u won't ask me what do i mean by the word clear...:P