Types of Charges in Chemistry: Explained

• Thread starter Math Is Hard
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Charges
In summary: Iron. So instead, Iron usually settles down in what's called the +3 ferric state. This means that it has 3 electrons in its valence shell, which is far from the Octet configuration (8 electrons). So, when Iron is in a compound, it will usually be written with a Roman numeral after the name of the metal to indicate the charge on that metal in that compound.In summary, the professor was discussing how to name compounds with metals that have more than one charge, and she mentioned that there are two types of charge: positive and negative. She also mentioned that all elements have a preferred oxidation state, and that Iron usually settles down in the +3 ferric state.
Math Is Hard
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
I just started a chemistry class and the prof handed out some nomenclature rules for naming compounds. One of the rules says that... in the case of a metal + non-metal compound where the metal has more than one type of charge, do the following..(and then she lists the procedures).

What I didn't understand is what is a type of charge means. She hasn't covered this yet, but I was just curious about it. I always try to read ahead before the lectures.

Chemistry news on Phys.org
I found something similar to the instructions I have on this website:
http://users.ixpres.com/~statmech/Chem%201A%20Spring%202004/Basic%20Inorganic%20Nomenclature.htm

Last edited by a moderator:
For some reason, your questions tend to interest me even when I know nothing about the subject. I googled ic ous charge (mentioned in the link: "If the metal can have more than one type of charge, put a Roman numeral in parentheses after the name of the metal to indicate the charge on that metal in that compound. The classical system is may also be used (“ous” & “ic”)"), and it looks like these are suffixes attached to ions with different numbers, perhaps the number of electrons that they've lost or gained. Maybe you know what the numbers mean? Just thought I would mention it. I only know of two 'types' of charge: positive and negative. :blushing:

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&lr=&q=ic+ous+charge&btnG=Search

Last edited:
Thanks for the Google, HRW. I've been poking around a little myself, and so far all I've found is a reference that
"Some elements have more than one possible charge or valence. These are referred to as the multi-valent elements. Iron for instance has a +2 charge (Iron II 0r Ferrous) in some compounds and a +3 charge (Iron III or Ferric) in other compounds so we will have to recognize in which state the Irin is in and write the formula accordingly. "
http://members.aol.com/profchm/formwrit.html

so I am obviously missing an understanding of multi-valence in my fundamentals.

Last edited by a moderator:
Haven't looked at any of the links yet, but here's what these folks mean by "type of charge" (which usage, IMO, is bordering of idiotic):

All elements have what is known as a preferred oxidation state. What this means is that, if you take an isolated atom of this element, and allow it to choose from a large selection of charge configurations (by exchanging electrons with a sink or source), it will, in the majority of cases, settle down in a particular charged state.

This charged state is the one that minimizes the energy of that atom (now an ion). There are a bunch of rules that tell you what electronic configurations are most favorable (least energetic). For instance, you may have heard of the Octet Rule : that atoms like to have 8 electrons in their valence shell. The Octet configuration (also called the Noble Gas configuration, because all the Noble Gas elements have these octets, and hence are extremely stable) however, may not always be easily reached if the element is naturally in a configuration that is far from an octet. In that case, the element must choose from one of many "next best" options (such as fully filled or half-filled subshells) that are nearby.

It is for this reason that the transition metals (the pink block at webelements) often have multiple valencies/oxidation states/"types of charge" - because there is no single overwhelmingly stable choice nearby that easily beats out the rest. And what specific choice they make usually depends on what serves as the source or sink of electrons - usually, other elements also wanting to gain or lose electrons (it's kinda like a marketplace where the price is set by supply and demand).

Let's look at three examples, Sodium (Na : [Ne] 3s1), Oxygen (O : [He]2s2 2p4) - which have single oxidation states - and Iron (Fe : [Ar] 3d6 4s2) - which is usually found in either the +2 (ferrous) state or the +3 (ferric) state.

I hope you have a basic knowledge of electronic configurations, but if not, feel free to shoot back more questions. For now, I'm assuming a rudimentary knowledge.

The configuration of Na tells you that it has 1 electron (in the 3s subshell) more than the Noble Gas Argon. To get itself to this stable Argon-like configuration, Na must lose 1 electron, thus getting a single positive charge. Hence, Na is always seen in compounds as Na+ - with a single positive charge (or a deficiency of one electron).

Similarly, Oxygen has a configuration that is two electrons short of that of Neon (it is also 4 electron in excess of Helium, but that's farther away, and hence harder to attain), so given the chance, it will suck up a pair of electrons. Thus, in compounds O is seen as O2-, or we say that the preferred oxidation state of oxygen is -2.

Now Iron is different. The nearest Noble Gas configurations (Argon and Krypton) are too far (8 and 10 electrons respectively) away. It takes too much work to add or pluck out that many electrons, and the resulting reduction in energy is found to be "not worth the effort". So, Fe settles down at one the the nearby "valleys" (if you plot the energy as a function of the configuration, you will see peaks and valleys; the valley for the octet being deepest, but other valleys existing as well), or local energy minima. So, whcih are these nearby configurations ? Fe has the configuration [Ar] 3d6 4s2. It can lose a 4s electron and a 3d electron to become [Ar] 3d5 4s1 (that's two half-filled subshells; the s-subshell can hold up to 2 electrons and the d-subshell can take as many as 10) or it can lose both the 4s electrons and one 3d electron to become [Ar] 3d5 (that's one half filled subshell). While the latter case is a little more stable than the former, it also takes more to get there (you have to pull out one more electron). So, on average, you find that iron can exist either as Fe2+ or Fe3+. The latter (3+) is more likely to form if there's powerful sinks (atoms like oxygen that crave electrons) in the vicinity, else the former is more likely.

The upshot of all this is that Fe can assume more than one oxidation state ("type of charge" :rolleyes:), and the choice depends on the environment (what other elements are nearby, as well as conditions like temperature and pressure).

Hey Gokul, thanks for taking the time to explain all that to me. :smile: I printed this out and was reading it on my lunch hour today. I think I am pretty close to catching on, but one thing I wasn't clear on (and I have seen this before and not understood it then) is why you had written Sodium (Na : [Ne] 3s1). It was the [Ne] part that I don't quite get. Why is that there?

I had some more stuff I was going to write but someone just walked into my office and now I am being dragged upstairs to look at somebody's dang printer problem. :grumpy: More later!

OK, I think I figured out where I am getting confused..
Gokul said:
The configuration of Na tells you that it has 1 electron (in the 3s subshell) more than the Noble Gas Argon. To get itself to this stable Argon-like configuration, Na must lose 1 electron, thus getting a single positive charge. Hence, Na is always seen in compounds as Na+ - with a single positive charge (or a deficiency of one electron).
I would have thought that Na has one electron more than Ne (rather than Argon), since Ne has 10 electrons and Na has 11. And then I could understand Sodium written as this (Na : [Ne] 3s1). The [Ne] would be like shorthand for the configuration of the first 10 electrons? :confused:

And I understand that a Na atom would love to unload that extra electron and if there were say, a Cl atom nearby, it would happily do so. That would result in Na+ having eight outer electrons and would be mutually beneficial for Cl- to give it eight outer electrons as well. (Octet rule is the only one I know so far, so this part I am OK with).

But the problem may be that I know so precious little about orbitals - my textbook doesn't even mention them, but I have been able to glean a little bit of info from my copy of Chemistry for Dummies. (yes, I know- go on- laugh it up :biggrin:) It mentions a 1s subshell and a 2s subshell, but not a 3s.

Maybe you (or someone) could just point me toward a website on this where I could read up more, and then I might be able to focus my questions.

Math Is Hard said:
OK, I think I figured out where I am getting confused..

I would have thought that Na has one electron more than Ne (rather than Argon), since Ne has 10 electrons and Na has 11. And then I could understand Sodium written as this (Na : [Ne] 3s1). The [Ne] would be like shorthand for the configuration of the first 10 electrons?
That's correct. Sorry for the screw up...it is Neon, not Argon.

I'll see if I can dig up some useful links on electronic configurations.

...here's a nice one : http://antoine.frostburg.edu/chem/senese/101/electrons/index.shtml

Last edited:
ooh, I think I am actually starting to understand this, then! Thanks, Gokul! I am going to go look at that link.

And oh, I so totally agree with you about "types of charges" being confusing. Honestrosewater and I had the same initial reaction, I think: "Types of charges? There's only two!" "Preferred oxidation states" is much more clear to me.

1. What are the different types of charges in chemistry?

There are two main types of charges in chemistry: positive and negative. Positive charges are associated with protons, while negative charges are associated with electrons. In addition, there are neutral particles that have no charge, such as neutrons.

2. How do these charges interact with each other?

Opposite charges, such as positive and negative, attract each other, while the same charges, such as positive and positive, repel each other. This is known as the Coulomb's Law. Charges also play a crucial role in chemical reactions and bonding between atoms.

3. How are charges represented in chemistry?

In chemistry, charges are represented by symbols and signs. Positive charges are denoted by a plus sign (+), while negative charges are denoted by a minus sign (-). The magnitude of the charge is represented by numbers, such as +1 or -2.

4. Can charges be created or destroyed?

No, according to the law of conservation of charge, charges cannot be created or destroyed. They can only be transferred from one object to another. For example, when rubbing a balloon on your hair, electrons are transferred from your hair to the balloon, creating a static charge.

5. How do charges affect the behavior of matter?

Charges play a crucial role in determining the behavior of matter. For example, the arrangement and movement of charges in an atom determine its chemical properties. Charges also play a significant role in electricity, magnetism, and other fundamental processes in chemistry and physics.