Can 0/0 Equal 1? Exploring the Possibility of Dividing by Zero

• Thread starter foges
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of division by zero and the consequences of defining 0/0 to be equal to 1. The discussion also explores the use of reciprocals and the limitations of using fantasy math in solving problems. Ultimately, it is concluded that division by zero is not defined and attempting to solve problems using this concept can lead to flawed reasoning.
foges
I did a search first but didnt really find anything, this is something I've been wondering for a bit:

Both my calculator and math teacher tell me I can't ever divide by zero, but what if you had 0/0 ? couldn't that work, and equal 1? or is there a case in which this would not work?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Division by 0 is not defined. It's tempting to say that since every other number divided by itself is 1, so should 0. But this would have some strange consequences. Consider the function
[tex]y=\frac{x}{x}[/tex]
If x is not 0, then y=1. So it seems natural that y should also be 1 at x=0. But now consider this function:
[tex]y=\frac{x}{x^3}[/tex]
When x=0, we also get y=0/0. But when x gets close to 0, y gets larger and larger and approaches infinity. It doesn't seem reasonable to say y=1 when x is zero. This is one reason division by 0 is left behind. Functions that approch 0/0 are important in the study of calculus.

In fact, given any real number r, we can find fractions f(x)/g(x) where both f and g have limit 0 (as x goes to a) but f(x)/g(x) goes to r.

By the way, while we say that a/0, for a not 0, is "undefined", it is common to say that 0/0 is "undetermined". If we try to set a/0= x then we must have a= 0(x) which is impossible. On the other hand, if 0/0= x then we must have 0= 0(x) for which is true for all values of x.

Remember that EVERY fraction a/b can be seen as the product a*(1/b)

The number (1/b) is that number which multiplied with b yields 1, i.e, b*(1/b)=1, by definition of 1/b.
1/b is called the reciprocal of b.

However, without resorting to any idea of reciprocals at all, we may prove that for ANY number a, we have 0*a=0.
But that means that THERE CANNOT EXIST A NUMBER 1/0!

Therefore, the reciprocal 1/b can only be defined for numbers not equal to zero.

Thus, the expression 0/0=0*1/0 tries to do the impossible thing, namely multiplying together something that IS a number (0), and something that ISN't a number (1/0). But multiplication requires that both factors are, indeed, numbers..

Thanx, i guess i was thinking too simply. I managed to dissprove myself:

0=0*3

0/0 = (0*3)/0 = (0/0)*3

And if 0/0 = 1, Then:

1 = 1*3

1=3

I never understood a thing... isn't right to say that:

[tex]\frac{0}{0}=\mathbb{R}[/tex]

When i can't solve a problem, can i go to the prof saying:" the solution is 0/0!"?

R is a set. Are you asserting that, what ever 0/0 is, it is a set?

matt grime said:
R is a set. Are you asserting that, what ever 0/0 is, it is a set?
yes. for example, the limits in the indeterminate form, if it can be removed, they can assume any result in R you wish. or not?

In this case, you have devised a fantasy function having two real arguments going to some set of sets. Nothing wrong with that of course, except it hasn't anything to do with a BINARY OPERATION, like multiplication or division.

Sure you could choose to have a function where you choose whatever value from the real numbers you want, but you will find picking the right number is pretty hard :P

foges said:
Thanx, i guess i was thinking too simply. I managed to dissprove myself:

0=0*3

0/0 = (0*3)/0 = (0/0)*3

And if 0/0 = 1, Then:

1 = 1*3

1=3
There's a problem in your second step =).

It'd be (0*3)/(0*3). Even then, it'd be 0 in the end.

But it's just fantasy math with a lot of problems/flaws in the reasoning heh.

Last edited:
AngeloG said:
There's a problem in your second step =).

It'd be (0*3)/(0*3). Even then, it'd be 0 in the end.

But it's just fantasy math with a lot of problems/flaws in the reasoning heh.

It doesn't matter if they are equivalent, since it is obviously the case that 0*3=0.

Then you have the case of saying 0/0 = 1; when before you stated 0 = 0*3... Where in you have 0/0 = 3 :p. A lot of flaws.

You can't switch things up like that just because you feel like it.

AngeloG said:
Then you have the case of saying 0/0 = 1; when before you stated 0 = 0*3... Where in you have 0/0 = 3 :p. A lot of flaws.

Obviously there are flaws. Was that unexpected? Division by zero is not defined. 0=0*3 is a common fact that follows from axioms for the real numbers, nowhere did we say 0/0=3, but this "disproof" is based on an assumption that 0/0=1.

AngeloG said:
You can't switch things up like that just because you feel like it.

If they are EQUAL you certainly can. You seem to be saying something along the lines of I can't interchange 22 and 4. despite the fact that they are the same thing.

The thread has seem to run its course, so I'm closing it.

Last edited:

1. Can 0/0 ever equal 1?

No, 0/0 is considered an indeterminate form in mathematics and does not have a defined value. It cannot equal 1 or any other number.

2. Why does 0/0 not equal 1?

Division by zero is undefined in mathematics and violates the fundamental property of division, which states that a number divided by 0 is undefined. Therefore, 0/0 cannot equal 1 or any other number.

3. Is it possible for 0/0 to equal 1 in certain situations?

No, 0/0 remains undefined in all situations and cannot take on a specific value, even in limit calculations or other mathematical operations.

4. What happens if I try to solve 0/0 using a calculator?

Most calculators will simply display an error or "undefined" when attempting to solve 0/0. This is because the concept of dividing by zero is not defined in mathematics.

5. Can you give an example where 0/0 equals 1?

No, there is no valid example where 0/0 equals 1. The result will always be undefined and cannot be assigned a specific value.