What is the error in this proof attempting to show 0/0 = 2?

In summary, division by 0 (0/0) is undefined and has no value. Trying to manipulate or assign a value to this expression will result in inconsistent and absurd results. Therefore, the entire proof is faulty and there is no specific step that can be pinpointed as wrong.
Priyadarshini
Recently I can across this proof:
0/0= (100-100)/(100-100)
= (10^2-10^2)/10(10-10)
=(10-10)(10+10)/10(10-10)
= (10+10)/10
=20/10
= 2
But this is obviously wrong, as 0/0 is infinity, but which line in this proof is actually wrong?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Priyadarshini said:
But this is obviously wrong, as 0/0 is infinity, but which line in this proof is actually wrong?

##\frac{0}{0}## is not infinity. It is just not determined i.e it can be any number.

You can write 0 in whichever way you want, as is done in the proof you post, e.g as a difference of whatever numbers and factorize, write as square difference but watch carefully what is the operation that is the cheat (what I write gives you already a hint).

Likes ProfuselyQuarky
QuantumQuest said:
##\frac{0}{0}## is not infinity. It is just not determined i.e it can be any number.

You can write 0 in whichever way you want, as is done in the proof you post, e.g as a difference of whatever numbers and factorize, write as square difference but watch carefully what is the operation that is the cheat (what I write gives you already a hint).
I'm not sure, but to apply the a^2-b^2 formula, does a and b have to be distinct (a=/=b)? Is that where it goes wrong?

Priyadarshini said:
I'm not sure, but to apply the a^2-b^2 formula, does a and b have to be distinct (a=/=b)? Is that where it goes wrong?

No. Check again carefully

QuantumQuest said:
e.g as a difference of whatever numbers and factorize, write as square difference but watch carefully what is the operation that is the cheat (what I write gives you already a hint).

Hi,the form ##\frac{0}{0}## is an indeterminate form so for example I can say that ##\frac{0}{0}=\frac{27-27}{27-27}## and with the an analogue procedure I can conclude that ## \frac{0}{0}=3## ...

From false assumptions you can deduce everything ...

Ssnow said:
Hi,the form ##\frac{0}{0}## is an indeterminate form so for example I can say that ##\frac{0}{0}=\frac{27-27}{27-27}## and with the an analogue procedure I can conclude that ## \frac{0}{0}=3## ...

From false assumptions you can deduce everything ...
So the problem with the proof is that we cannot just rewrite 0 as 100-100? But while factorising algebraic expressions, we split up middle terms to simplify factorisation, which is sort of similar to this, isn't it?

Priyadarshini said:
So the problem with the proof is that we cannot just rewrite 0 as 100-100?

Why not? Look for one non-legitimate operation.

not exactly, the problem is when you simplify the factor ##(10-10)## ..., reflect on this...

sorry ##10-10## ...

QuantumQuest said:
Why not? Look for one non-legitimate operation.

Ssnow said:
not exactly, the problem is when you simplify the factor ##(10-10)## ..., reflect on this...

Ssnow said:
sorry ##10-10## ...

Is it because (10+10)*0/10*0 and you can't just cancel just cancel the zeros and assume that they are equal to one? Because that can only be rewritten as (10+10)/10 if I cancel the zeros and say that becomes one?

Priyadarshini said:
Is it because (10+10)*0/10*0 and you can't just cancel just cancel the zeros and assume that they are equal to one? Because that can only be rewritten as (10+10)/10 if I cancel the zeros and say that becomes one?

Did you decude that yourself? Meaning do you understand that?

Likes Ssnow
QuantumQuest said:
Did you decude that yourself?
yeah...

Likes QuantumQuest and Ssnow
Priyadarshini said:
So the problem with the proof is that we cannot just rewrite 0 as 100-100?

The proof uses the idea that ##\frac{ac}{bc} = \frac{a}{b} ##.

Likes Priyadarshini
Thanks for your help QuantumQuest and Ssnow!

Likes Ssnow
First, you can't cancel zero from both numerator and denominator. When you're cancelling both 10-10 and 10-10, you're actually cancelling zero.
Second, 0/0 isn't infinity, it can be proved to be equal to any number by cancelling zero's. I myself used to do it this way:
0*5=0
or 5=0/0, similarly if division by zero on both sides is allowed, then every number can be proved to be equal to 0/0.
I also used this way to get an absurd result:
0=0
5*0=3*0 since both sides are equal to zero
now cancelling zero's from both sides:
5=3

Likes Priyadarshini
You can conclude anything if you're allowed to break math rules. In particular, division by 0 is undefined. Actually 0/0 has no value at all, because it is not defined. It is not "infinity" -- it doesn't have any value. And your calculation is actually part of the reason why it is not defined: no definition can be given that makes the other math rules still behave consistently -- you have just shown that if you try to treat it as a real defined quantity, you get weird inconsistent results. So we take it as a math rule that division by 0 has no meaning, like how a square root sign with nothing under it has no meaning.

Note also -- there are some settings where one can take division by 0 as defined, and you are probably thinking of that when you called "infinity". But if you do that, you then end up sacrificing other math rules (in the most common treatments, taking n/0 as infinity leads to the creation of new undefined expressions -- in fact, 0/0 remains undefined in such treatments.). It's a tradeoff. Division by 0 and grade school math rules together are a logical contradiction. Your experiments are the way you prove that. If you want one side of the contradiction, you have to sacrifice from the other. Since usually we want to keep all the math rules, we are forced to leave division by 0 undefined.

(This, incidentally, is what makes division by 0 different from taking square roots of negative numbers. In the latter case, all the rules of arithmetic fortunately still work if you allow that. And we get a very beautiful new mathematical system from it. But division by 0 doesn't work the same way. The math rules don't like to be broken in that way. You could say they are more resistant to breaking in one way than in another.)

So what step is wrong? The very beginning -- where you assumed that 0/0 even had a value at all and then started manipulating it. That is, the moment you said "0/0 = ...". Or, on the other hand, you can say the argument has no flaw -- you are just drawing the wrong conclusions from it. You can consider your argument to be effectively a (or part of a) proof by contradiction of the falsehood of the assumption "0/0 has a value" in the usual system of grade school math rules.

(Incidentally, other posters bringing up indeterminate forms are also not quite right. Talk of indeterminate forms only makes sense when taking limits. In that sense 0/0 is indeterminate in that if it shows up when taking a limit, it tells you nothing about the value or existence of the limit. On the other hand, if you get 1/0 (say), you know the limit DNE. But we aren't taking limits here, we are doing algebra, so the topic of indeterminate forms is not really relevant here. 0/0 is undefined in grade school algebra. That's the endpoint.)

Last edited:
sshai45 said:
Incidentally, other posters bringing up indeterminate forms are also not quite right. Talk of indeterminate forms only makes sense when taking limits. In that sense 0/0 is indeterminate in that if it shows up when taking a limit, it tells you nothing about the value or existence of the limit. On the other hand, if you get 1/0 (say), you know the limit DNE. But we aren't taking limits here, we are doing algebra, so the topic of indeterminate forms is not really relevant here. 0/0 is undefined in grade school algebra. That's the endpoint.

I see that you're trying to make a rigorous point here, but did you really understand and follow the context and the purpose of the OP question?

QuantumQuest said:
I see that you're trying to make a rigorous point here, but did you really understand and follow the context and the purpose of the OP question?

I don't know what your point is. He's talking about the way "indeterminate form" is not a relevant topic in this discussion (since it had been brought up), and in particular how "0/0-forms" in the context of limits should not be confused with the algebraic expression 0/0 as they have nothing to do with each-other.

@disregardthat
I don't know what your point is. He's talking about the way "indeterminate form" is not a relevant topic in this discussion (since it had been brought up), and in particular how "0/0-forms" in the context of limits should not be confused with the algebraic expression 0/0 as they have nothing to do with each-other.

My point is that OP posted an exercise, trying to figure out where is the error. So, I and Ssnow, provided OP hints to find that point. That essentially, as 0 is the absorbent element for (usual) multiplication, cancelling zeros is a non-legitimate operation. Now, we all know about what is indeterminate and what is not, as well as what holds for limits. But in the context of the present exercise, what sshai45 essentially says, is telling the OP not to do the exercise at all. That was the point of my objection. OP cannot know in advance, things that he/she will understand later.

Last edited:
QuantumQuest said:
@disregardthat
My point is that OP posted an exercise, trying to figure out where is the error. So, I and Ssnow, provided OP hints to find that point. That essentially, as 0 is the absorbent element for (usual) multiplication, cancelling zeros is a non-legitimate operation. Now, we all know about what is indeterminate and what is not, as well as what holds for limits. But in the context of the present exercise, what sshai45 essentially says, is telling the OP not to do the exercise at all. That was the point of my objection. OP cannot know in advance, things that he/she will understand later.

That's all well and good, but we should generally aim to provide precise explanations using correct terminology so that the discussion won't risk leaving other potential readers confused.

1. What is the concept behind the equation 0/0 = 2?

The concept behind this equation is that when dividing any number by itself, the result is always 1. Therefore, if we divide 0 by 0, the result should be equal to 1. However, using mathematical principles, we can manipulate the equation to show that 0/0 can also equal 2.

2. How can 0/0 equal 2 when division by 0 is undefined?

While division by 0 is undefined in most cases, in this specific scenario of 0/0 = 2, we are not dividing by 0 itself. Instead, we are approaching 0 from both the numerator and denominator, which results in a limit of 2. This is known as an indeterminate form, where the result cannot be determined by looking at the expression alone.

3. Can you provide a visual representation of how 0/0 equals 2?

Imagine a graph where the x and y axes cross at (0,0). If we draw a line through this point, we can approach it from different directions, such as from the left and right sides. As we get closer and closer to the point, the line will approach a slope of 2, indicating that the limit of 0/0 is equal to 2.

4. What is the significance of this equation in mathematics?

This equation demonstrates the concept of limits in mathematics, where we can manipulate an expression to show that it can approach a certain value without actually being equal to it. It also challenges our understanding of basic arithmetic and shows that sometimes, the rules we are taught may not always apply in certain scenarios.

5. Are there any real-life applications of 0/0 = 2?

While this equation may not have a direct real-life application, the concept of limits is used in various fields such as physics, engineering, and economics. It allows us to approximate values and make predictions in situations where exact values may not be attainable or practical.