Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

0/0 (continued)

1. Jun 7, 2005 #1
    Ok, after reading this, this, and the beginning of this I've realised there seems to be a consensus that 0/0= indeterminate.

Now, today my friend who's a math person has come up with this 'theory' that 0/0=1. She presented two arguments to support her theory, first she said that 0!/0! = 1, then she said that anything divided by itself = 1, (x/x=1),

I think she's full of crap, but I'm at a bit of a loss, so can you guys help me prove her wrong (or help me understand why she's right). I already tried arguing my basic understanding of the issue, but she won't give in.
  2. jcsd
  3. Jun 7, 2005 #2

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

It's worse than indeterminate -- it's undefined.

It boggles me why people insist on using x/x = 1 to "prove" 0/0 = 1, but they never accept 0/x = 0 to "prove" 0/0 = 0.

Try asking her to actually mathematically prove it. I imagine she won't even know where to begin.
  4. Jun 7, 2005 #3
    I already did and she gave me the 0!/0!=1 thingy.
  5. Jun 7, 2005 #4

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Then tell her she has failed, because she wasn't able to come up with a proof. She won't believe you, but it's still true.
  6. Jun 7, 2005 #5
    Hmmm, ok. Is there a way to show her that she hasn't provided proof?
  7. Jun 7, 2005 #6
    But what does 0! has to do with anything? n! does not equal to n.

Btw, what's the latex command for !=?
  8. Jun 7, 2005 #7

Homework Helper

Ice, the factorial of 0 is defined as 1.
  9. Jun 7, 2005 #8
    I know. But if you were to show that 3/4 = 0.75, you wouldn't go with 3!/4!.
  10. Jun 7, 2005 #9
    That's what I said and she yammered off some gibberish. Neither of us know the theory behind factorals. Otherwise I would be able to show her where she's wrong. What is 0! anyways? 0*1? 0*-1? And how can it be defined as 1?
    Last edited: Jun 7, 2005
  11. Jun 7, 2005 #10
    I don't understand how this person reached 0/0 = 1 because 0!/0! = 1. Factorial signs can hardly be divided out like that! Did you ask her to look at a graph of 1/x and inspect it to the left and right of x = 0? It should alread be clear to her that depending on which side you look at, the graph approaches different values. What's more, placing 1/x = 1 at x = 0 would throw off the symmetry of a graph perfectly symmetric about the line y = x (or y = -x)
  12. Jun 7, 2005 #11
    being ignorant in such matter, i'll suggest the following:

[tex]f(x) = x^n, x \epsilon R [/tex] and [tex]g(x) = x^n, x \epsilon R [/tex]

[tex]\frac{f(x)}{g(x)} = \frac{x^n}{x^n} = x^{n-n} = x^0 = 1[/tex]

so then [tex]\frac{f(x)}{g(x)} = 1[/tex] for all the reals, including zero!
  13. Jun 7, 2005 #12

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

If you mean to say that f and g are functions, then you're wrong. f(x) / g(x) is not defined at x = 0. (Precisely because 0/0 is undefined)

One might say that f(x) / g(x) has a removable singularity at x = 0.

Or, if you meant to say that f(x) and g(x) are elements of a ring of polynomials, and division is being done in the field of rational functions, it would be correct to say that f(x) / g(x) = 1. (And that would be true "at x = 0", at least the way that phrase is usually given meaning)
  14. Jun 7, 2005 #13
    ok then, how 'bout this.

[tex]f(x) = x, x \epsilon R[/tex] and [tex]g(x) = x, x \epsilon R[/tex]

[tex]\lim_{x \rightarrow 0} f(x) = \lim_{x \rightarrow 0} x = 0[/tex] and [tex]\lim_{x \rightarrow 0} g(x) = \lim_{x \rightarrow 0} x = 0[/tex]

so then

[tex]\frac{\lim_{x \rightarrow 0} f(x)}{\lim_{x \rightarrow 0} g(x)} = \frac{0}{0}[/tex]

but by L'Hopital's:

[tex]\frac{\lim_{x \rightarrow 0} f(x)}{\lim_{x \rightarrow 0} g(x)} = \lim_{x \rightarrow 0} \frac{f(x)}{g(x)} = \lim_{x \rightarrow 0} \frac{f(x)'}{g(x)'} = \lim_{x \rightarrow 0} \frac{x'}{x'} = \lim_{x \rightarrow 0} \frac{1}{1} = 1[/tex]

therefore [itex]\frac{0}{0} = 1[/tex]
  15. Jun 7, 2005 #14

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

That's incorrect. The relevant limit theorem specifically states that the denominator cannot be zero when making that equality.

(Just like people forget that the identity x/x = 1 specifically states x cannot be zero)
  16. Jun 7, 2005 #15
    wait a minute, i thought that's the whole point of L'Hopital's rule, evaluating indeterminate things of the form 0/0
  17. Jun 7, 2005 #16
    It is. But there's a difference between saying that a limit is of the form 0/0 and saying that the limit equals 0/0. A limit is a number (or not defined) and 0/0 is not a number, so how could a limit be equal to it? However, it can look like 0/0 if you attempt to evaluate it in a naive way.

Also, you made the mistake of thinking that if the limit of a function is defined at a point, then the function itself must be.
  18. Jun 7, 2005 #17
    i really didn't assume anything...i tried to be as thorough about it as possible, showing each step clearly.

so tell me: which part of it is wrong? because your explanation is a bit 'wishy-washy' (no offense). it's not that i don't believe you, but i want an actually mathematical argument against it. every professor that i showed the L'hopital thing to, did some hand-waving but could never mathematically explain where the flaw was.
  19. Jun 7, 2005 #18

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

The equation I quoted is wrong. There is no theorem that lets you conclude that.
  20. Jun 7, 2005 #19
    What if f(x) = 2x? By your logic you'll still get the answer to 0/0 I think.

Saying that 0/0 = 1 (and by me saying by your logic also = 2), implies that the "=" comparison does not hold the property of transitivity and therefore can't be an equivalence relation because clearly 1 != 2. I think then that using "=" the way you did would then make no sense (much like a lot of what I just said). I'm not sure if that's the definition of "undefined" though.
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 7, 2005
  21. Jun 7, 2005 #20
    Hurkyl already explained what you did wrong; you're trying to use the limit theorem that states [tex]\lim_{x\rightarrow0}\frac{f(x)}{g(x)}=\frac{\lim_{x\rightarrow0}f(x)}{\lim_{x\rightarrow0}g(x)}[/tex] but you're ignoring the fact that this theorem requires that [itex]\lim_{x\rightarrow0}g(x)\neq 0[/itex].
    Last edited: Jun 7, 2005
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?