Math Facebook Challenge: Multiply or End-to-End?

• Thread starter davenn
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Challenge
In summary, the multiplication rule is followed even if there are no brackets, and an expression where the leading "-" in an expression is always evaluated first can be written to give the same result both ways.
davenn
Science Advisor
Gold Member
2023 Award
hi gang

this came up in one of those crazy facebook challenges
and you can imagine the arguments that ensued

upload_2016-8-2_7-52-29.png
My maths knowledge isn't brilliant ... so in the above, if there are no brackets,
do you still do the multiplication first or do you just work your way through from end to end ?

I thought, regardless of brackets being there or not, I should follow the mult. first rule, giving result of 0
Now I'm not so sure, maybe those who just worked from end to end and got the answer of 10
are the people that are correct ?regards
Dave

Physics news on Phys.org
Your answer is correct. 0.
Edit: even modern programming editors read it this way, hell, even Excel does.

fresh_42 said:
Your answer is correct. 0.
Edit: even modern programming editors read it this way, hell, even Excel does.
OK, so the multiplication rule is followed even if there are no brackets

It makes me think that a good party game (for maths nerds at least) would be to write an expression like the above that gives the same answer both ways - ie respecting operator precedence and ignoring it in favour of strict left to right evaluation. No brackets allowed, of course.

Given a time limit of say thirty seconds, points could be awarded based on length of expression, number of operators, and how many of the numerals 0-9 are used, in order to determine a winner.

Or - to prevent somebody using an expression they've used before - first roll a dice a few times to randomly identify three or four numerals that are not allowed to be used.

davenn said:
OK, so the multiplication rule is followed even if there are no brackets
Especially then!

Likes davenn
Just a simple remark on this.
Most people use this in everyday life, at least if they do some do-it-yourself works or sum up their shopping costs.
##5$A + 2$A## is, if we make it exact ##5 \cdot $A + 2 \cdot $A = 7 \cdot $A##. The same with meters. And it's the reason why we cannot add ##1## to ##1m##. The multiplication at the meter comes first and before addition can take place.

Likes davenn
fresh_42 said:
Especially then!

ohhh really ! wow
shows you how bad my maths abilities are hahaha
I failed school cert maths twice :frown::oops:

Question on Excel spreadsheet: At one time a few years ago -5^2+3 would give you 28. The leading "-" in an expression would always be evaluated first. To get it to read it properly, you would need to put parenthesis such as -(5^2)+3. This was even the case in exponentials such as Gaussians. (At least this was the case when these expressions involved cell values, etc.) Does anyone know, has this ever been corrected?

It still gives that incorrect result in MS Office Professional Plus 2013.

Likes Charles Link
andrewkirk said:
It makes me think that a good party game (for maths nerds at least) would be to write an expression like the above that gives the same answer both ways - ie respecting operator precedence and ignoring it in favour of strict left to right evaluation. No brackets allowed, of course.

Given a time limit of say thirty seconds, points could be awarded based on length of expression, number of operators, and how many of the numerals 0-9 are used, in order to determine a winner.

Or - to prevent somebody using an expression they've used before - first roll a dice a few times to randomly identify three or four numerals that are not allowed to be used.

Hi Andrew

sorry for whatever reason, I missed this first comment of yours. You agree with fresh_42 that regardless of if there are brackets or not
you still do multiplication first ?Dave

Not exactly, and I don't think that's what fresh was saying either.
Multiplication is done before addition or subtraction, unless overruled by brackets. So in
(1+2) x 3
we do the addition first because the brackets tell us to, and we get 9. But in
1 + 2 x 3
we do the multiplication first, and we get 7.

The rules can be expressed as an order of precedence, where 'a > b' indicates 'do a before b':

calculations inside brackets > exponentiation > multiplication or division > leftmost calculations

Having done the first three of these, we are left with a string of numbers separated by '+' and '-' signs, which can be evaluated from left to right.

Likes davenn
andrewkirk said:
Multiplication is done before addition or subtraction, unless overruled by brackets. So in
(1+2) x 3
we do the addition first because the brackets tell us to, and we get 9. But in
1 + 2 x 3
we do the multiplication first, and we get 7.

The rules can be expressed as an order of precedence, where 'a > b' indicates 'do a before b':

calculations inside brackets > exponentiation > multiplication or division > leftmost calculations

outstanding !

really appreciate the clarification/confirmation :smile:
it's what I though but my cage was being rattled by others and I had to check with those that should know :smile:
Regards
Dave

Remember BODMAS from school days ?

Likes davenn
Nidum said:

nope hahaha ... no wonder I failed school cert maths twice :rolleyes:

The only reason I didn't finish my geology degree was because I hadn't done the two required maths papers
kinda frustrating to know that was all that stood in my pathD

No parentheses and no exponents. Multiplications are done first; additions and subtractions from left to right;
result is 0.

Likes davenn and Pepper Mint
Nidum said:
PEDMAS for me.

Nidum said:
2milehi said:
PEDMAS for me.
The "B" would mean brackets, so telling "grouping symbols". The "O" is not clear immediately, but could mean "order" as in "degree" or "exponent".

Nidum said:
-I- sure do!

Or BEDMAS.

symbolipoint said:
The "B" would mean brackets, so telling "grouping symbols". The "O" is not clear immediately, but could mean "order" as in "degree" or "exponent".
See the page linked with the text BODMAS -- http://www.skillsyouneed.com/num/bodmas.html

1. What is the "Math Facebook Challenge: Multiply or End-to-End?"

The "Math Facebook Challenge: Multiply or End-to-End" is a popular math challenge that has been circulating on Facebook. It involves a series of multiplication problems that need to be solved in order to find the final answer.

2. How do I participate in the challenge?

To participate in the challenge, you need to first find the post on Facebook and then follow the instructions provided. Typically, you will be asked to solve a series of multiplication problems and then share your answer in the comments section.

3. What is the purpose of the challenge?

The purpose of the challenge is to test your mathematical skills and to have fun with friends on social media. It can also be a great way to practice your multiplication skills and keep your mind sharp.

4. Can I use a calculator to solve the problems?

It depends on the rules set by the person who shared the challenge. Some versions of the challenge allow the use of a calculator, while others may require you to solve the problems mentally.

5. Are there any variations of the challenge?

Yes, there are many variations of the "Math Facebook Challenge: Multiply or End-to-End". Some may involve different types of math problems, while others may have a different number of multiplication problems to solve. You may even come across challenges that involve other operations such as addition or division.