Help with 0.999...=1 Project - Urgent Assistance Needed

• Thread starter chickenguy
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Project
In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of 0.999... being equal to 1 and how it is reached through the use of sequences and series. The conversation also mentions the background information and opinions on this topic. Ultimately, the conversation concludes that 0.999... is indeed equal to 1.
chickenguy
Need urgent help

:approve: sorrypeople if this annoys u but please don't close this thread. i need urhent help with my 0.999...=1 project and i have a new thing my teacher told me would help, but i don't understand!
0.9=1- 1/10(fraction)
0.99=1-1/100(fraction)
0.999=1- 1/1000(fraction)
1-(approaches zero)=1

sequence and series.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
OPinions are not required. The real numbers are by construction somewhere where convergent sequences of rationals have unique limits. the sequence 0.99..9 with n nines converges to 1, that is what the above states - the distance from it to 1 is 10^{-n} which converges to zero.

so 0.999... the infinite string of nines which, by definition also represents the limit of that sequence mustbe equal to one by fiat.

Let x = 0.999999...
10x = 9.999...=9+0.999...=9+x
10x - x = 9
9x = 9
x=1

0.999... = 1

1. What does 0.999...=1 mean?

The notation 0.999...=1 is used to represent the concept of a repeating decimal. It means that the decimal representation of the number 0.999... continues infinitely with the digit 9. This is equivalent to the whole number 1.

2. How is it possible for 0.999... to equal 1?

The equality 0.999...=1 is a mathematical fact that can be proven using various mathematical concepts, such as limits and infinite series. Essentially, as the number of recurring 9s after the decimal point increases, the number gets closer and closer to 1, and in the limit, it becomes equal to 1.

3. Is 0.999... a real number?

Yes, 0.999... is a real number. It falls into the category of rational numbers, which include all numbers that can be expressed as a ratio of two integers. In this case, 0.999... can be written as the fraction 9/9, which simplifies to 1.

4. What is the significance of the 0.999...=1 project?

The 0.999...=1 project serves to educate people about the concept of repeating decimals and the proof that 0.999... is equal to 1. It aims to dispel misconceptions and promote a deeper understanding of this mathematical concept.

5. How can I use the fact that 0.999...=1 in real life?

The equality 0.999...=1 has many applications in mathematics, physics, and engineering. It is used in various calculations involving infinite series and limits. Additionally, it can be used to prove other mathematical concepts and solve problems in various fields.