Is 0=i2pie Possible in Complex Exponentials?

• Thread starter johann1301
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of complex numbers and their properties, specifically the equality of two complex numbers raised to the power of e. It is concluded that this equality does not necessarily mean that the two complex numbers are equal, as the complex exponential function is periodic with a period of 2pi.
johann1301
0=i2pie !?

We know that any number to the power of zero equals one. Ex; e^0=1

But we also know that eulers number (e=2.718...) to the power of i (√-1) times 2∏ equals one; e^i2∏=1

So we have to equations that both equals 1. That means that e^0=e^i2∏ and that;

0=i2∏

Is this right? (it can't be?)

Mathematics news on Phys.org

johann1301 said:

But we also know that eulers number (e=2.718...) to the power of i (√-1) times 2∏ equals one; e^i2∏=1

0=i2∏

Take a wild guess...:>)

What is true is: any non-zero number to the power of zero is one, and [itex]\,e^{2n\pi i}=1\,[/itex] for any integer n...

DonAntonio

Ok, I am in shock!

If i continue then;

0=i2pie ⇔ 0/2pie=i ⇔ 0=i !

If this is true, doesn't it imply that i can f.ex write; 0=0+ai where a is any real number?

and f. ex 3=3+4i. (or 3=3+ai where a is any real number)

this must be true if 0=i2pie is true.

(I think?)

feel free to disagree, honestly;)

Last edited:

and that one can write b=ai where a and be are two real numbers that doesn't necessary equal!

f.ex 3=298i

?

johann1301 said:

0=i2∏

You are working under the assumption that ea = eb implies that a = b for all complex numbers a and b. Can you prove this assertion? If not, can you prove that it is false?
Consider the fact that cos(2Pi) = cos(0). Does this imply that 2Pi = 0? If not, why not? Is this property applicable to your case?

Is -1=1 just because (-1)^2=1^2?

arildno said:
Is -1=1 just because (-1)^2=1^2?

That wasn't how i taught of it;

If one can say that 0=i it must be because when "you are" at any point ON the imaginary axis, then the value on the real axis will always be zero.

Just as when you say the same in a typical graph with x- and y-axis. When "you are" at any point on the y-axis, then x=0.

You need to revise your complex numbers . e^z (with z complex) is not injective.

dextercioby said:
You need to revise your complex numbers . e^z (with z complex) is not injective.

Translating for the OP, who may not have any knowledge of set theory: Given two complex numbers w and z, ez = ew does not imply that z = w.

The complex exponential is periodic function with period 2pi. So when two complex exponential are equal, that means the exponents are equal up to an additive constant of form n2pi, where n is integer.
In mathematical terms:
e^ix = e^iy => x = y + n2pi

Dead Boss said:
The complex exponential is periodic function with period 2pi. So when two complex exponential are equal, that means the exponents are equal up to an additive constant of form n2pi, where n is integer.
In mathematical terms:
e^ix = e^iy => x = y + n2pi

Well, in fact it is [tex]e^{z_1}=e^{z_2}\Longleftrightarrow z_1=z_2+2n\pi i\,\,,\,\,z_1,z_2\in\mathbb{C}[/tex] no need to add that "i" in th exponent

DonAntonio

What does "0=i2pie" mean?

This is an equation that represents the relationship between the imaginary unit i, the number 2, and the mathematical constant pi. It is often used in complex analysis and other areas of mathematics.

Why is "0=i2pie" important in science?

"0=i2pie" is important because it helps us understand and solve complex mathematical problems in science. It is also used in various equations and formulas in physics and engineering.

How is "0=i2pie" related to complex numbers?

This equation is an example of a complex number, where i represents the imaginary unit and pi represents a real number. It helps us visualize and work with complex numbers in mathematical operations.

Can "0=i2pie" be simplified?

No, this equation cannot be simplified any further. It is already in its simplest form and represents an important relationship between complex numbers and the constant pi.

What are some real-world applications of "0=i2pie"?

"0=i2pie" has many applications in science and engineering, such as in signal processing, electrical circuits, and quantum mechanics. It is also used in computer graphics and animation to create complex visual effects.