Odd or Even? Exploring 0's Divisibility

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of even and odd functions, with the example of writing cosh(x) as the sum of an even and odd function. It is clarified that 0 is an even number and 5 is an odd number, but as a constant function, both can be considered even and odd.
repugno
Is 0 an odd or even number? The reason why I ask is this:

I need to write cosh(x) as the sum of an even and odd function. I could only come up with cosh(x) = cosh(x) + 0, where cosh(x) would be the even and 0odd. However, this doesn't make any sense since 0 is exactly divisible by 2 with no remainder, hence it is even. So which one is it?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
0 is an even number.But that has nothing to do with writing cosh as a sum of odd and even *functions*.

The definition of an "even" function is that f(-x)= f(x). The definition of "odd" function is f(-x)= -f(x). If f(x)= 0 for all x then f(-x)= 0= -0= -f(x) but also f(-x)= 0= f(x) so f(x)= 0, the constant function, is both even and odd.
However, as matt grime said, that has nothing to do with the fact that 0 = 2(0) is an even number.

cosh(x) is already an even function. sinh(x) is an odd function. In fact,
ex= cosh(x)+ sinh(x). cosh(x) and sinh(x) are the even and odd "parts" of ex.

0 mod 2 = 0, it means that 0 is even :rolleyes:

In general, given a function f, you can write it as the sum of an even function and an odd function as follows:

[itex]f_{even}(x) = (f(x) + f(-x))/2[/itex]
[itex]f_{odd}(x) = (f(x) - f(-x))/2[/itex]

what about 6? is it odd or even?

Okay, I'll bite: even?

Actually, a more interesting question would be whether 5 is odd or even.

The number 5 is obviously odd.

The constant function (which is what this thread is really about), f(x)= 5, is even.

good point, so the answer to the OPs question is "yes".

i.e. all constant functions are even and one of them is also odd.

1. What is the definition of "odd" and "even" numbers?

Odd numbers are those that cannot be divided evenly by 2, leaving a remainder of 1. Even numbers are those that can be divided evenly by 2, leaving no remainder.

2. Is 0 considered an odd or even number?

0 is considered an even number because it can be divided evenly by 2, leaving no remainder.

3. How do you determine if a number is divisible by 0?

A number is divisible by 0 if it can be divided by 0 without resulting in an error. In other words, if the quotient is undefined or infinite, the number is divisible by 0.

4. What is the significance of 0's divisibility in mathematics?

0's divisibility is significant because it is the basis of the number system and plays a crucial role in operations such as addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division. It also helps in determining patterns and relationships between numbers.

5. Can a number be both odd and even?

No, a number cannot be both odd and even. A number is either odd or even based on whether it can be divided evenly by 2 or not.