Efficient 2D Array Switch Algorithm for Lights Off in n x m Rooms | C++ Function

In summary, the problem involves a 2D array representing a house with rooms that have switches. Activating a switch in a room affects the lights in that room and its adjacent rooms. The task is to write a function that takes in the array and dimensions, and returns 1 if there is a set of rooms where activating all switches will turn off all lights, using an efficient backtracking algorithm.
boilhats

Homework Statement

A house has n x m rooms (n and m natural numbers, n>=2 and m>=2) and is represented as a 2 dimensional Array with n rows(0 to n-1)and m columns(0 to m-1).The room at line i( 0 <= i <= n-1) and column j ( 0 <= j <= m-1 ) is identified by the pair of numbers (i,j).All rooms, with the exception of the ones situated on the first line(i=0) and the first colums (j=0),have a switch. Actuating the switch from the room (i,j) leads to the next result: in each of the rooms (i,j) , (i,j-1) , (i-1,j) , (i-1,j-1) ( the room with the switch, the one above, the one on the left and the one above to the left) if the light was on, it turns off , and if it was off it turns on.
b)Write a function that takes as input a 2D array of 1s and 0s ,dimensions m and n as well as i and j representing a room (i,j) with a switch and outputs the array after turning the switch in the room (i,j).
c)Write a C++ function that takes as input a 2D array of 1s and 0s representing the state of the light in the room m, as well as the dimensions n ( n >=2) and m(m>=2) of the array.The function need to return '1' if there is a set of rooms such that actuating the switch in every room once leads to all lights from all the rooms turning off.Otherwise the function returns 0.You can use the function from B.To be used an algorithm as efficient as possible time-wise ; solutions that use backtracking will receive the most points.I know how to do B the only problem is at c), I don't know how should I write using backtracking , otherwise I can think of other solutions.I'm not asking to write the code for me but just to give me an idea of how I should go about solving using backtracking.

This problem was translated by me from another language if you don't understand something you can ask me.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I know how to do b the only problem is at c), I don't know how should I write using backtracking , otherwise I can think of other solutions.I'm not asking to write the code for me but just to give me an idea of how I should go about solving using backtracking.

This problem was translated by me from another language if you don't understand something you can ask me.

Physics news on Phys.org
I would note that there is exactly one room that is controlled by one switch only. Given the state of the switch in that room, there are then exactly two rooms that are controlled by only one additional switch each. (and so on)

Last edited:

1. What is a 2D array switch algorithm?

A 2D array switch algorithm is a computational method used to efficiently turn off or on lights in a 2D array, such as a grid or matrix. It involves identifying a specific pattern in the array and applying a set of rules to switch the lights on or off in that pattern. This can be useful in various applications, such as controlling lighting systems in buildings.

2. How does the efficient 2D array switch algorithm work?

The efficient 2D array switch algorithm works by first identifying a specific pattern in the array, such as a row or column with all lights on. Then, it applies a set of rules to switch the lights in that pattern, which reduces the number of steps needed to turn off all the lights in the array. This algorithm is typically more efficient compared to a brute force approach, which would try every possible combination to turn off all the lights.

3. What are the benefits of using an efficient 2D array switch algorithm?

Using an efficient 2D array switch algorithm can save time and resources compared to a brute force approach. It is also more scalable, meaning it can handle larger arrays with more lights. Additionally, it can be useful in real-world applications, such as controlling lighting systems, where efficiency is crucial.

4. Can the efficient 2D array switch algorithm be applied to other problems?

Yes, the efficient 2D array switch algorithm can be applied to other problems that involve a 2D array with a specific pattern, such as Sudoku puzzles or game boards. With some modifications, it can also be applied to 3D arrays or other types of data structures.

5. Are there any limitations to the efficient 2D array switch algorithm?

One limitation of the efficient 2D array switch algorithm is that it may not work for all types of 2D arrays. For example, if there is no identifiable pattern or if the array is too large, the algorithm may not be as efficient. It also requires some initial setup and may not be suitable for real-time applications where the array is constantly changing.