Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

1.0 or 1.3A adapter problems?

1. Mar 20, 2008 #1
    [SOLVED] 1.0 or 1.3A adapter problems?

Hi everyone!

I didn't know where to post this question so I posted it here.

I have a unit that needs an adapter with the following stats:

INPUT AC 220V 50Hz 17W

It is completely impossible for me to find such an adapter. I've searched everywhere, and I even talked to electricians about it. They are very rare with European plugs (I live in Denmark), I don't even know if they exists..

BUT today I found an adapter from an old Nintendo machine in my house. It is ALMOST the adapter that I need. Here is the stats:

INPUT AC 220V 50Hz 17W
    OUTPUT AC 9V 1.3A

As you can see the only difference is that the one I need has an 1A output and the one I found has a 1.3A output.

Is it possible to use a 1.3A adapter instead of the 1.0A? I've tried it quickly and the unit works with it, but I quickly turned it off again because I wanted to know if it was OK to use.

Hope you can help, I'm so tired of this problem.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 20, 2008 #2

Staff: Mentor

Thread moved from GD to EE. Welcome to the PF, Atomixx.

Yes, the adapter you have found will work fine. The output current rating is a maximum, so as long as the current drawn is less than that maximum, it will work fine. Good find!
  4. Mar 20, 2008 #3

Thank you very much for your answer, I am very happy to hear that! Yeah I was very lucky that I found that Nintendo adapter (NES)!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?