What is 1+1? the answer begins with F

• Thread starter PrudensOptimus
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Riddle
In summary, the conversation revolves around trying to figure out the answer to the question "What is 1+1?" which was given as a riddle with the hint that the answer begins with F. Various suggestions are thrown out, including "function" and "fraction," but the original poster does not know the answer and feels that information is missing. The number 4 is also mentioned, but no explanation is given for its relevance. Another user brings up the possibility of 42 being the answer, as referenced in Douglas Adams' book "Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy," but this is dismissed as being unrelated. The conversation ends with someone jokingly suggesting "Fact" as the answer and acknowledging that not everyone would agree with
PrudensOptimus
What is 1+1? the answer begins with F.

Is not Function, not Fraction... Don't know what the answer is. It is suppose to be a riddle.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Formula?

if it was a bad joke then the answer would be four .

Originally posted by PrudensOptimus
What is 1+1? the answer begins with F.

Is not Function, not Fraction... Don't know what the answer is. It is suppose to be a riddle.
if you don't know what the answer is then how do you know function and fraction arent the possible answers.
i feel some information is missing.

Begins with F? The word "Fool" comes to mind!

Originally posted by loop quantum gravity
if you don't know what the answer is then how do you know function and fraction arent the possible answers.
i feel some information is missing.

I was thinking about four too... but i don't know why though...

perhaps 1 1 is 2, and the + sign has 2 sticks, so makes 4?

ummm
1+1=F f is the variable

1+1=Too. As in you have too much time on your hands

fundamental?
forty-two? (the answer to life, the universe, and everything)

Originally posted by Phobos
fundamental?
forty-two? (the answer to life, the universe, and everything)

is 42 a special number or something?

I have no idea, but a google search over "The answer is 42" returns over 5000 hits!

Does anybody know how this started (the "42" stuff)?

Originally posted by ahrkron
I have no idea, but a google search over "The answer is 42" returns over 5000 hits!

Does anybody know how this started (the "42" stuff)?

In other words, you have not read Douglas Adams,Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy I thought this was necessary Geek reading? I am sadly disapointed in you lack of fundamental geekness.

Last edited:
[b(] I'll try to fill in that gap as soon as possible!
(probably not this month though! :smile: )

Well is Fact the answer your looking for? I'm sure there are many people here who would disgree with that statement.

What is the "1 + 1 riddle"?

The "1 + 1 riddle" is a popular mathematical riddle that asks the question, "If you have one match and you enter a room with a candle, a lamp, and a fireplace, which one do you light first?"

What is the answer to the "1 + 1 riddle"?

The answer to the "1 + 1 riddle" is the match. Since the riddle states that you have one match, it is the only item that can be lit first.

Why is the "1 + 1 riddle" considered a riddle?

The "1 + 1 riddle" is considered a riddle because it presents a clever and puzzling question that requires critical thinking to solve. It also has a hidden meaning or twist that may not be immediately obvious.

Are there any variations to the "1 + 1 riddle"?

Yes, there are many variations to the "1 + 1 riddle" that involve different objects and scenarios. Some variations may ask which item to light first in a cave, a tent, or a boat, while others may include different types of light sources such as a torch or a flashlight.

What is the purpose of the "1 + 1 riddle"?

The purpose of the "1 + 1 riddle" is to challenge the mind and encourage critical thinking. It also serves as a form of entertainment and can be used as an icebreaker or a brain teaser. Additionally, solving riddles can improve cognitive skills and problem-solving abilities.