1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

1+2+3+4+ =-1/12? proof

1. Feb 20, 2014 #1
    I've see this neat proof:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E-d9...eature=iv&annotation_id=annotation_3085392237 (for some reason the youtube tag didn't work in preview...)
    And now I don't see how what I've learned about series convergence is true...
    I've been told that if [itex]a_n > b_n \forall n[/itex] then [itex] \sum a_n > \sum b_n [/itex] therefore, if [itex] \sum b_n [/itex] is divergent then, [itex] \sum a_n [/itex] must be too.
    Also, If the partial sum diverges, the series is said to be divergent, isn't it?
    And what about [itex] a_n \neq 0 [/itex] for n that tends to infinity?
    So many ways I could show this series diverges, yet he show it's equal to -1/12???

Where am I, or is he, wrong?

Last edited: Feb 20, 2014
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 20, 2014 #2
    I think this cannot be true. The sum of all natural numbers up to N equals (as also shown in the end of the video) ## N(N+1)/2 ##. This obviously goes to infinity as N goes to infinity. And of course there is also no way how strictly positive numbers can add up to give a negative result.

4. Feb 20, 2014 #3
    That's what I was saying :)
    So where is he wrong?

5. Feb 20, 2014 #4
  6. Feb 20, 2014 #5

Borek

Staff: Mentor

And as this link was posted we can safely close the thread.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook