Can Anyone Explain the 1=2 Trick I Was Shown?

• Thread starter Tido611
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Explain
In summary, there are multiple invalid proofs that "prove" 1=2 by relying on the fact that dividing by 0 is not allowed. These proofs can be found on Wikipedia and through a Google search. However, these tricks are not highly regarded and it is suggested to spend time on other areas of mathematics.
Tido611
I was once shown a cool little trick that "proved" 1=2 and i was wondering if anyone knew what it was or where i could find it, thanks.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
I just typed 1 = 2 in the Wikipedia search box and it led me to the page for 'Invalid Proofs'. You might also want to google it.

There a thousands of 'em, all relying on the fact that dividing by 0 is not allowed. Just devise your own.

[tex]x^2 - x^2 = x^2 - x^2[/tex]

[tex]x(x-x)=(x-x)(x+x)[/tex] Supposedly, the (x-x)'s cancel out, though it equals zero so you can't divide by it.

[tex]x= x+x[/tex]

In other words, 1=2

Tido611 said:
I was once shown a cool little trick that "proved" 1=2 and i was wondering if anyone knew what it was or where i could find it, thanks.

I generally despise such tricks, because as mentioned above, once you see one, you have pretty much seen them all. There are apparently over 36 million hits on Google using the term '"1=2" proof'. You could always spend the time on other things in mathematics than this :tongue2:

Oh, come on, u don't need to despise them. It could be of great benefit to kids out there who for their first time had seen something unusual. This might inspire them to become the next person to solve riemann's conjecture or unifry all forces of nature. Just like Andrew Wiles who was inspired during his youth to solve FLT.

I first saw this 1=2 business when i was 15, amazed me to no end and made my interest in maths grew even more . haha

EmilK said:
I generally despise such tricks, because as mentioned above, once you see one, you have pretty much seen them all. There are apparently over 36 million hits on Google using the term '"1=2" proof'. You could always spend the time on other things in mathematics than this :tongue2:

1) What is the 1=2 trick?

The 1=2 trick is a mathematical equation that appears to prove that 1 is equal to 2. It is a popular mathematical paradox and illusion that has intrigued many people.

2) How does the 1=2 trick work?

The 1=2 trick relies on a mathematical error known as division by zero. By dividing both sides of the equation by zero, it creates the illusion that 1 is equal to 2.

3) Is the 1=2 trick real?

No, the 1=2 trick is not real. It is a mathematical illusion that relies on a mathematical error to create the false appearance that 1 equals 2. In reality, dividing by zero is undefined and cannot be used in mathematical equations.

4) Can the 1=2 trick be explained using mathematical principles?

Yes, the 1=2 trick can be explained by understanding the principles of mathematical operations. By dividing both sides of the equation by zero, it creates a false appearance of equality. However, dividing by zero is an undefined operation and cannot be used in mathematical equations.

5) What is the purpose of the 1=2 trick?

The purpose of the 1=2 trick is to demonstrate the importance of understanding mathematical principles and avoiding mathematical errors. It serves as a fun and intriguing way to teach people about the potential pitfalls of using incorrect mathematical operations.