1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: 1 + 2cos(2x+ π/3)

1. Jun 2, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Find the zeroes of

f(x) = 1 + 2cos(2x+ π/3)

Range: (0 ; π)

3. The attempt at a solution

1 + 2cos(2x + π/3) = 0

hence, cos(2x + π/3) = -1/2

hence, 2x + π/3 = 2π/3

and, x = π/6 which is 30 degrees

can someone help me find the other 0 ?

I don't know how to!

Thanks a lot!

(the answer is x=π/2 but i dont know how to get there!)

Last edited: Jun 2, 2010
  2. jcsd
  3. Jun 2, 2010 #2

Char. Limit

Gold Member

First, I don't quite know how you went from your first step to your second, even though it does turn out to be correct. A bit of explanation would be most appreciated.

Second, have you tried using the sum-of-angles formula to expand your cosine out? It might make it easier, I think...

4. Jun 2, 2010 #3
    Ok Char. Limit,

I edited my answer and showed the transition step.

What do you mean by "the sum of angles formula" ?

5. Jun 2, 2010 #4
    Well, if one looks at the unit circle, one can see that 2*pi / 3 is one place where
    cos(y) = -1/2. However, there are more places on the unit circle in which
    cos(y) = -1/2. Finally, one can also add 2*pi*n to the result, and end up at
    the same place.

6. Jun 2, 2010 #5

Char. Limit

Gold Member

But he restricted x to be between zero and pi...

The sum-of-angles formula is as follows:

[tex]cos(x+y)=cos(x)cos(y)-sin(x)sin(y)[/tex]

I have no idea how to prove it, but it is a theorem, I believe.

7. Jun 2, 2010 #6
    Yes, but still, one can manually inspect the formulas to see when
    [tex]
    2x + \pi /3 = 2\pi /3 +2\pi n
    [/tex]
    , and after that see if x is inside the interval between 0 and pi.

8. Jun 2, 2010 #7
    Yes, my question ultimately is

How does one determine these other places where cos(y) = -1/2 ?

9. Jun 2, 2010 #8
    If you are familiar with the unit circle, you have that the x-coordinate on the circle
    is cos(x), while the y-coordinate is sin(x). For a picture, please see
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unit_circle
    In the picture, you can see that cos(x) = -1/2 means: at which place at the unit circle
    is the x-coordinate equal to -1/2? And there are two places that can happen at in the circle. Does this help?

10. Jun 2, 2010 #9
    Well, wouldn't you just have to add pi/4 for the next zero and then 3pi/4 and keep going until you're beyond your range in this case? Since the function is pretty much a squashed together cos curve (twice as many zeros as a normal one) that is half it's amplitude up the y-axis, it's amplitude being 2, that is out of phase of your standard cos curve by pi/3. I'm not sure I'm visualising it right, but I guess you could always sketch it up on some spare sheet.

11. Jun 2, 2010 #10

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

Correction: cos(y) = -1/2 for y = 2pi/3 or for y = 4pi/3.
    Replace y by 2x + pi/3 and you should get two values of x in (0, pi).

Last edited: Jun 2, 2010
  12. Jun 2, 2010 #11

Mark44

It actually makes it much harder.

13. Jun 2, 2010 #12

Char. Limit

Gold Member

I stand corrected then.

14. Jun 2, 2010 #13
    How do you know this?

15. Jun 2, 2010 #14

Cyosis

Homework Helper

Mark gave you the values where the cosine is -1/2 in the third quadrant and 1/2 in the fourth quadrant. You're interested in the values where cosine is -1/2, not 1/2.

The first thing you should do is draw a unit circle. Then sketch the places where the cosine is equal to -1/2 and find the appropriate angles. In which two quadrants does your solution lay?

16. Jun 2, 2010 #15
    How does one find the place where cosine is equal to -1/2?

and as you said, the solution is in the third quadrant and the first solution (Pi/6) is in the first.

17. Jun 2, 2010 #16

Mark44

Due to a mental lapse, one of the values I gave was incorrect. The values of y should have been in the second and third quadrants, but not in the fourth. I have corrected my earlier response.

18. Jun 2, 2010 #17

Cyosis

Homework Helper

No, [itex] \cos \pi/6=\frac{1}{2}\sqrt{3}[/itex]. Secondly I am not asking you to draw the position where cos is -1/2 in the unit circle exactly. The use in the unit circle is that you can see in which quadrant the solutions lay. When you draw a line radially outwards from the origin you can form a triangle. Which side of that triangle corresponds to the cosine and which one to the sine? To answer your question you want to know where that side of the triangle is -1/2.

19. Jun 2, 2010 #18

Mark44

There are just a handful of angles that you are expected to know exactly: 0, pi/6, pi/4, pi/3, pi/2, plus their complements and supplements. If you plot these angles in the unit circle, you can use symmetry to show that cos(y) = 1/2 for y = pi/3 and y = 5pi/3, and that cos(y) = -1/2 for y = 2pi/3 or y = 4pi/3.

20. Jun 2, 2010 #19
    Ok! thanks, i kind of get it now!

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook