1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

1/3 and 3/8 Simspon's rule

1. Apr 6, 2017 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    For part b , Since 3/8 Simpson's rule and 1/3 Simpson's rule cant be applied directly to get the ans , so i have to apply both methods differently .

I
    Why my ans is different with the author's one ? Is there anything wrong with my ans ?

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    n my third attachment , I apply the 1/3 Simpson's rule first ( for interval 0-4) , i get the ans = 3208

Then , I apply 3/8 Simpson's rule ( for interval 0-6) , i get ans = 3597.5 .

Sum of 3208 and 3597.5 = 6805.2 , but , in the author's working , The author apply 3/8 simspon's rule first , followed by 1/3 Simspon's rule , the author get the total ans = 7198.75 ...

Attached Files:

• 611.jpg
      611.jpg
      File size:
      75 KB
      Views:
    • 612.jpg
      612.jpg
      File size:
      83.6 KB
      Views:
    • 613.PNG
      613.PNG
      File size:
      6.2 KB
      Views:
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 7, 2017 #2

BvU

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Hello fonseh,

This exercise is an example of applying Simpson's rule. Do you know what that rule is based on ? Do you think it is always approriate to use when you look at a plot of v versus t ? Is it surprising that the deviation of two different subdivisions gives such a 5% deviation ?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted