Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

1/4 of a million people protest the RNC before it even happens, peacefully.

1. Aug 30, 2004 #1
    I live in a Suburb of NYC, and I worked from 10-8 today, listening intermitently to the radio and cd's. From all estimates, over 250,000 people protested the Republican National Convention today, and it hasn't even started. The best part is, it was all totally peaceful.

I initially began listening to Air America, and they were playing it up, all excited, it's so great, everyone's uniting against Bush etc. and it sounded great, but I realized they might just be ignoring bad things that were happening.

So, to try to get the opposite side of the story, I turned on WABC, the station Sean Hannity and Rush Limbaugh are broadcast on, Hannity's actual home station. Anyway, the woman who's show was on is named Monica Crowley, she loves Nixon, thinks he was a great President smeared by the Liberal media, hates everything liberal, characterized the protests as simply silly, and not consistant with mainstream American values. She thought that since we're at war, the mainstream American position was to not accept any criticism of Bush, and just believe whatever he says. So anyway, you get a basic feel for her, I expected to turn her on and hear everything bad that's happening in New York blamed on liberals, every theft, every vandalism, every injury, every piece of graffitti etc.

And yet, when I turned it on, nothing. She wasn't happy with the protesters, but there was no violence at all to report. Her guests were praising the protesters unabashedly, people on the street were saying how enthusiastic and pleased police were about how well behaved these protesters were, it was amazing. The worst thing she could find to report, and the topic of discussion for about 40 minutes, was a paper mache dragon carried by a group of protesters had been lit on fire, protesters were re-directed one block over, and put out a few minutes later. She tried to sensationalize it, saying that anarchists had burnt a dragon using some sort of incendiary device, but that was as far as she could go, because there was no violence.

This just seems amazing to me, 250,000 people are SO pissed off at George Bush and the Republican party, that they're beyond the point of insanity, beyond the point of violence. It would seem that when something's so bad as to get 1/4 of a million people to congregate to one specific place to protest, they'd be enraged, burning, looting, destroying, maiming, killing, all that stuff.

But not these protesters, these protesters are beyond the point of violence and insanity. They dissaprove of the Bush administration so badly that they are driven to complete and total clarity of what they must do. They're beyond irrational violnce, realizing that would solve nothing and only cause bad feelings for those who want change, they realize that what they must do is amass in GIGANTIC numbers, and peacefully protest with no incident.

This is just amazing to me, and has inspired me to find any way I can to get down there and join this.

Peace, love and freedom,
    Jacob

Last edited: Aug 30, 2004
  2. jcsd
  3. Aug 30, 2004 #2
    Good to see some people using their freedom to voice their opinions. Now let's just hope a large enough number of people do the same when it's time to vote. Ultimately, that is the only protest which will have an effect.

4. Aug 30, 2004 #3

GENIERE

Science Advisor

Yep, free to roam the streets, not placed in cages as they were during the Democratic convention in Boston.

5. Aug 30, 2004 #4
    Yeah, with the exception of the burning dragon (and subsequent police 'attacks') and the bike protestors who blocked streets, there has been nothing. And those two events were handled quickly and quietly.
    The police are doing a great job, the protestors are doing a great job.

cspan is doing lots of coverage for people who want unedited, non commented footage of it all.

6. Aug 30, 2004 #5
  7. Aug 30, 2004 #6
    I'm not getting any news from SMH, since they now require registration.

8. Aug 30, 2004 #7
    That is odd. The link was good a little while ago, and now I can't even access directly from google's news page.
    Basically the article is title "Protests off to stormy start with 300 arrests".
    The following text then reiterates how bad things are going :rofl:

9. Aug 30, 2004 #8
    300 arrests out of 250,000? Wow. That's terrible.

Is this supposed to somehow imply that those who protest against Bush are just bad people?

10. Aug 30, 2004 #9

kat

If you do get down there to join in, please, be careful...and stay alert. What appears to be a beautiful thing can turn ugly real fast.

BTW, I've heard from an eyewitness account that there weren't many pro-kerry signs...but there were quite a few go Nader signs... :uhh:

11. Aug 30, 2004 #10
    Oh yeah, I'll be careful as I possibly can if I can get down there.

I'll bet those go Nader signs were funded by republicans :wink:

12. Aug 31, 2004 #11
    And whatd'ya know, revised estimations put the number of people protesting on Sunday at 500,000, easily the largest convention related protest in history.

So let's see, George Bush's convention is the most heavily protested by hundreds of thousands of people, George Bush's war in Iraq is the single most protested event in the history of the world, George Bush's innaguration was the only one protested ever, George Bush's 2 tax cuts during 2 wars are the only time in American history, and likely in the history of tax-collecting governments, that taxes were lowered during a war, he's turned a record surplus into a record defecit, and on and on and on.

Man, that Bush, he sure does like setting records/standards, I wonder who'll ever live up to him.

Last edited: Aug 31, 2004
  13. Aug 31, 2004 #12
    So Bush has no chance I assume.

14. Aug 31, 2004 #13
    I don't know about that, I would hope not, but you never know. John Kerry might actually win despite his failure to either defend himself against attacks or bring up substantive issues which could draw attention away from his attackers. I'll report back after the debates with a conclusive answer.

15. Aug 31, 2004 #14
    Whoops, looks like George is in big trouble.

Hell, Kerry is a shoo-in with such a t-e-r-r-i-b-l-e President.

George's chances of winning in 2004 never even got off the ground. Hell, in 2000 the writing was already on the wall.

Kerry can just quit campaigning — he's a lock.

George should quit now before being totally embarassed.

Now you tell us you HOPE he doesn't win.

I predict that after the convention is over, Bush is ahead in the polls. Bet?

16. Aug 31, 2004 #15

plover

Homework Helper

Declined. The current margin in the polls is smaller than the percentage of people who change their opinion depending on whose side they've heard most recently (at least by my immaculately researched seat-of-the-pants guess... :wink:)

17. Aug 31, 2004 #16

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

That is generally true, but strangely, after the DNC, there was no Kerry bounce...

Last edited: Aug 31, 2004
  18. Aug 31, 2004 #17
    That's the thing, I'll actually bet you're right, and Bush will be a bit ahead in the polls. Likely within the margin of error, but probabally ahead. It's no big deal though, Kerry's a boring senator and Bush's a cowboy, people'll get more excited about Bush. Now, I'll make a simmilar bet; that after the deabtes, Kerry pulls ahead in the polls. Bush can be as "common folky" as he wants, but if kerry is as good in the debates as he was on the Dick Cavet show, Bush has no chance.

19. Aug 31, 2004 #18
    Bush has already beaten Gore and Ann Richards in debates. Don't underestimate him.

20. Aug 31, 2004 #19
    :laughing:
    Watch out, he beat AL GORE!

Though I get your point, but if you saw Kerry on the Dick Cavet show, you'd know he's not a bad debater himself.

21. Aug 31, 2004 #20
    Well, well. He finally sees the light. Good for you!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?