Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

1.5v batt. charger limiter

1. Mar 22, 2008 #1
    I have a cheap set of wireless headphones where the base unit supplies a voltage to the headphones to charge the 2 AAA NiMh batteries. However it has not cut-off point, ie. it'll charge indefinitely destroying my rechargeable batteries.

I'm looking for the least complicated circuit that will break the charge when the batteries are near or at max capacity.

Any ideas would help greatly.
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 22, 2008 #2

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

It's difficult to correctly charge NiMH batteries without either monitoring their temperature or periodically stopping, discharging at a constant rate and calculating the change in discharge rate.
    The best and simple way to charge rechargables is to do so very slowly, it is difficult to damage batteries if you charge them at say 1/20 of their capacity (ie at 100mA for a 2100mAh AA)
  4. Mar 22, 2008 #3
    ok so if i have a high mAh batt, I don't need to worry about continuous charge damage?
    At the moment its using 500mAh and the batteries end up leaking acid after time.
  5. Mar 22, 2008 #4

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?