What is the simplest circuit for limiting charging of 1.5v batteries?

• Thread starter n0_3sc
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Charger
In summary, the person is seeking a simple circuit to break the charge when the NiMH batteries in their cheap wireless headphones are near or at maximum capacity. They mention that charging NiMH batteries slowly is the best and safest way to avoid damage, and suggest using a spare pair of batteries and a slow charger for optimal charging.
n0_3sc
I have a cheap set of wireless headphones where the base unit supplies a voltage to the headphones to charge the 2 AAA NiMh batteries. However it has not cut-off point, ie. it'll charge indefinitely destroying my rechargeable batteries.

I'm looking for the least complicated circuit that will break the charge when the batteries are near or at max capacity.

Any ideas would help greatly.

Engineering news on Phys.org
It's difficult to correctly charge NiMH batteries without either monitoring their temperature or periodically stopping, discharging at a constant rate and calculating the change in discharge rate.
The best and simple way to charge rechargables is to do so very slowly, it is difficult to damage batteries if you charge them at say 1/20 of their capacity (ie at 100mA for a 2100mAh AA)

ok so if i have a high mAh batt, I don't need to worry about continuous charge damage?
At the moment its using 500mAh and the batteries end up leaking acid after time.

I would get a spare pair of NiMH batteries and a cheap slow charger or one of these

(Sorry I didn't see the AAA part, the highest cap is likely to be about 800mAh - you don't have to worry about damage if you charge slow enough)

1. What is a 1.5v battery charger limiter?

A 1.5v battery charger limiter is a device that regulates the charging process of a 1.5v battery. It controls the flow of electricity to prevent overcharging, which can damage the battery.

2. How does a 1.5v battery charger limiter work?

A 1.5v battery charger limiter works by monitoring the voltage and current of the battery during the charging process. Once the battery reaches its maximum charge, the limiter will reduce the flow of electricity to prevent overcharging.

3. Why is a 1.5v battery charger limiter important?

A 1.5v battery charger limiter is important because it protects the battery from being overcharged, which can cause it to overheat and potentially explode. It also helps prolong the lifespan of the battery by preventing damage from excessive charging.

4. Can a 1.5v battery charger limiter be used for other types of batteries?

No, a 1.5v battery charger limiter is specifically designed for 1.5v batteries. Other types of batteries may require different charging voltages and currents, so it is important to use the appropriate charger for each type of battery.

5. How do I know if my 1.5v battery charger limiter is working properly?

You can check if your 1.5v battery charger limiter is working properly by monitoring the charging process. If the battery is charging at a steady rate and does not overheat, then the limiter is functioning correctly. If you notice any issues or abnormalities, it is best to stop using the charger and have it checked by a professional.