Bar Conversion: Volume & Temperature Units

In summary: In scientific terms, it's a "rounding" that's not really a rounding.So, I'm not crazy, but I could be wrong.- WarrenIn summary, the conversation discusses the conversion of bar to other units, specifically for use in calculating volume and temperature. The units of 1 bar are determined to be 100,000 pascals or 100,000 kg/m/s^2. One participant notes that the conventional order of operations can affect the interpretation of units, while another mentions that in the "common" world, a bar is often referred to as kg/cm^2. However, this is not scientifically accurate and the correct conversion is 10,197.1621298 kg/m/s^2
BMcN
What the conversion for bar so that I can use it to work out volume and temprature? Whats the units?

Physics news on Phys.org
1 bar = 100,000 pascals = 100,000 kg/m/s2

Bit higher than I remember, but thanks!

Originally posted by Ambitwistor
1 bar = 100,000 pascals = 100,000 kg/m/s2
Should be kg/m-s2

- Warren

Either way works.

Not to be a pain in the ass, but I'd normally think

kg/m/s^2 = kg s^2 / m

But I guess it does come down to the conventional order of operations. I guess you win. Gack. I personally hate when people describe accelerations as "meters per second per second" i.e. m/s/s, for the same reason.

- Warren

Interesting note:

In the "common" world, a bar has the unit "kg/cm^2". THis is referring to the weight of one kilogram per square centimeter. THis of course translates to only 98,010 N per square meter, but somewhere along the line, "g" got upgraded to 10 N/kg instead of 9.801 N/kg.

So what is it in hpdpcf's (horsepower-decades per cubic furlong)?

Njorl

Originally posted by Chi Meson
Interesting note:

In the "common" world, a bar has the unit "kg/cm^2". THis is referring to the weight of one kilogram per square centimeter. THis of course translates to only 98,010 N per square meter, but somewhere along the line, "g" got upgraded to 10 N/kg instead of 9.801 N/kg.
Uh... no.

1 bar is defined to be 100 kilopascals. A pascal is one Newton per square meter. One kilogram-force is g Newtons. Therefore, one pascal is (1/g) kilogram-force per square meter. Therefore, one bar is 100,000/g kilograms-force per square meter.

g is accepted to be 9.80665 m/s^2, so one bar is 10,197.1621298 kilograms-force per square meter.

I have no idea where you got the idea that someone rounded g to 10 m/s^2, but it never happened.

- Warren

So what is it in hpdpcf's (horsepower-decades per cubic furlong)?

1 bar = 3.4595574 hpdpcf's

I used the Unix 'units' program, since I had a shell already open ...

Code:
$ units
2084 units, 71 prefixes, 32 nonlinear units

You have: bar
You want: horsepower-decade/furlong^3
        / 0.28905432

You think you're better than me, punk?

- Warren

Originally posted by chroot
Uh... no.

1 bar is defined to be 100 kilopascals. A pascal is one Newton per square meter. One kilogram-force is g Newtons. Therefore, one pascal is (1/g) kilogram-force per square meter. Therefore, one bar is 100,000/g kilograms-force per square meter.

g is accepted to be 9.80665 m/s^2, so one bar is 10,197.1621298 kilograms-force per square meter.

I have no idea where you got the idea that someone rounded g to 10 m/s^2, but it never happened.

- Warren

That's not what I meant, really. In Europe, the unit of bar and kg/cm^2 is used interchangeably (not by scientists, but by people pumping their bike tires). I remember several times over the years hearing anecdotaly that the bar was based on the "kg/cm^2" but was then redefined to be essentially 10 N/cm^2 (actually 1,000,000 dynes per cm^2)to be scientifically correct.

So g was not the one that was adjusted. It's the bar that was raised.

1. What is bar conversion?

Bar conversion is the process of converting units of volume and temperature from one measurement system to another. It is commonly used in scientific and engineering fields to ensure consistency and accuracy in measurements.

2. Why is bar used as a unit of measurement for pressure?

Bar is a unit of pressure that is commonly used in scientific and engineering applications because it is a metric unit and therefore is more easily converted into other metric units. It is also a practical unit for measuring pressure in everyday situations.

3. How do you convert from Fahrenheit to Celsius using bar conversion?

To convert from Fahrenheit to Celsius using bar conversion, you can use the following formula: °C = (°F - 32) * 5/9. Once you have the temperature in Celsius, you can then use the appropriate bar conversion factors to convert to the desired units.

4. What is the conversion factor for converting liters to gallons?

The conversion factor for converting liters to gallons is 1 gallon = 3.785 liters. This means that to convert from liters to gallons, you would divide the volume in liters by 3.785.

5. Can bar conversion be used for all types of units?

Bar conversion can be used for a variety of units, including volume and temperature. However, it may not be applicable for all types of units. It is important to check the specific conversion factors and formulas for the units you are trying to convert.