Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

1 Big Problem With Site

1. Mar 24, 2005 #1

aek

1 Big Problem With Site!!

This forum is indeed very warm and kind and honestly helpful. For this to be continued and further enhanced, the attachment size of 400 x 400 pixels is rather too small and vague for someone to help another. I'm calling upon whoever is in charge to increase the limit for the sake of people who are willing to learn via different means of communication. Thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 24, 2005 #2

chroot

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

This is actually a very reasonable suggestion. The attachments show up as thumbnails anyway, so they don't take up screen real estate. The bandwidth is negligible unless it gets downloaded 1,000 times by every user, and the site has plenty of disk space. If Greg's okay with it, we'll increase the size limits.

Thanks for the suggestion.

- Warren

4. Mar 25, 2005 #3

aek

thanks alot chroot

5. Mar 25, 2005 #4

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

What you can do is up the dimensions to, say, 640x480, but enact a KB size limit for the sake of server space/bandwidth (say, 50K?) if the software supports it. I know that would be helpful for all of my astrophotos - even at 640x480, they are only about 10K since they are mostly black.

6. Mar 25, 2005 #5

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

The place where this might present an issue would be in General Discussion where folks attach photos that get lots of views, but are more for fun than for providing visual aids in answers to serious questions. Is it possible to keep the smaller limit there if necessary? Not that I'd argue if you want to allow larger attachments there too, but it's not such a necessity if it's going to eat up bandwidth and server space.

I agree with Russ' suggestion that file size is probably more relevant than dimensions of the image.

7. Mar 25, 2005 #6

chroot

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Okay, I've doubled the acceptable attachment size from 50 kB to 100 kB. The max sizes for all pictures is now 1280 x 1024. If I see any abuse or problems, we might have to knock the file sizes back down, but I don't think it'll be an issue. Enjoy. :smile:

- Warren

8. Mar 25, 2005 #7

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Thanks,Warren.What's the limit to the # and the total size of the attachements one member is allowed to post on the forum...?I've posted >10 attachements and probably will do so in the future.How much more can i go without deleting them...?

Daniel.

9. Mar 25, 2005 #8

chroot

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

There is no limit to the number of attachments, only to the size of each. Attach away.

- Warren

10. Mar 25, 2005 #9

Evo

Staff: Mentor

I don't know, perhaps we should limit dex. There's just no telling what he'll be posting. :biggrin:

<kidding dex>

11. Mar 25, 2005 #10

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Yeah,that 100KB (or was it Kb...?:bugeye:) is enormous.I think i'll be posting maths (integrals).Is that worrying...?:uhh:

Daniel.

12. Mar 25, 2005 #11

chroot

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Every large integral you post with the TeX system is generally a kilobyte or two anyway. 100 kB is not a big deal.

- Warren

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?