1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

1-D Kinematics Problem

1. Aug 2, 2012 #1
    A California Condor is approaching its nest with a large chunk of carrion in its beak. As it approaches, it makes an upward swoop, achieving a momentary upward velocity of 12.8 m/s when the carrion falls from its mouth, hitting a cliff outcropping 32.1 m below. Determine the speed of the carrion upon hitting the outcropping.

This is a problem from Physics Classroom that I have to solve for AP Physics summer homework. I've never done physics before, so I'm finding it hard to even do basic problems.

Help please?

I've tried setting v0=12.8, x=32.1, a=g=9.8 and plugging it into vf^2=v0^2+2ax.

Last edited: Aug 2, 2012
  2. jcsd
  3. Aug 2, 2012 #2
    When the carrion is set loose, which way is it going? Up or down? How does gravity affect this?

4. Aug 2, 2012 #3
    The carrion goes down. I think that gravity makes it go down faster?

5. Aug 2, 2012 #4
    No. Read the description. Just before the carrion is released the entire system bird + carrion is going UP.

First it will need to slow it to a (momentary) halt.

What does this all mean with regard to the signs of [itex]v_0[/itex] and [itex]g[/itex]?

6. Aug 2, 2012 #5
    Opposite signs? Since v0 goes up and g goes down

7. Aug 2, 2012 #6
    Exactly! Now you need to choose a positive direction - either up or down - and that should fix the signs for all the quantities (the distance, the velocity, and the acceleration), so you will be able to write down the equations.

8. Aug 2, 2012 #7
    Yay thanks I got the answer..

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook