Calculating Velocity of Object Dropped from 71.3m

• Thread starter Leoragon
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Velocity
In summary: Shouldn't the first term be ½at^2?That's not how the equation works. The first term is always 1/2at^2.
Leoragon

Homework Statement

Object dropped from a tower at height of 71.3 metres

What is the time it takes to hit the ground? What is the velocity when it does?

gravitational acceleration = 9.8m/s2

Homework Equations

V = ΔX/Δt

X = average velocity X time

The Attempt at a Solution

I don't know a formula that would enable me to get the time.

Physics news on Phys.org
Use the WELL-KNOWN equation i.e.

x = ut + [itex]\frac{1}{2}[/itex]at[itex]^{2}[/itex].

Leoragon said:

Homework Statement

Object dropped from a tower at height of 71.3 metres

What is the time it takes to hit the ground? What is the velocity when it does?

gravitational acceleration = 9.8m/s2

Homework Equations

V = ΔX/Δt

X = average velocity X time

The Attempt at a Solution

I don't know a formula that would enable me to get the time.
Try to derive it from formula said by grzz.
u is initial velocity which is zero as they mentioned it that they dropped.

Or you can think it in terms of energy mgh=½mv^2 ...etc to solve for the final velocity. On the other hand vy=g*t so you get t.

I've tried solving for time and this was what I got:

X= Xo + Vot + 1/2at2

Vo = 0 (it's at rest)

Xo = 0 (also at rest)

a = 9.8m/s2

X = 71.3m

71.3 = 0 + 0 + (.5 X 9.8 X t2)

71.3 = .5 X 9.8 X t2

71.3 / .5 = 9.8 X t2

71.3 / .5 / 9.8 = t2

√(71.3 / .5 / 9.8) = t

t ≈ 3.81s

Does this mean that time equals: √X/.5/a ? If initial velocity and initial position equals 0?

If so, how do you calculate it if the initial velocity and position doesn't equal 0?

Last edited:
Leoragon said:
X= Xo + Vot + 1/2at2
how do you calculate it if the initial velocity and position doesn't equal 0?
Same equation. Plug in the known initial position and velocity and solve the quadratic.

haruspex said:
Same equation. Plug in the known initial position and velocity and solve the quadratic.

Not what I meant. I meant how to solve for "t"

Last time I checked, when you drop an object, the initial velocity is 0 and, if you wanted you could make your reference line the point at which you dropped the object and thus have the initial position be 0, but then you have to be careful with your signs.

Is any of this making sense?

Leoragon said:
Not what I meant. I meant how to solve for "t"
That's what I thought you meant, and I thought I answered.
Xf= Xo + Vot + 1/2at2
If you know Xf, Xo, Vo and a, plug those in and solve the resulting quadratic to find t. Doesn't matter whether Xo and Vo are zero or nonzero, provided they're known.

haruspex said:
That's what I thought you meant, and I thought I answered.
Xf= Xo + Vot + 1/2at2
If you know Xf, Xo, Vo and a, plug those in and solve the resulting quadratic to find t. Doesn't matter whether Xo and Vo are zero or nonzero, provided they're known.

But how can you get Xf if you don't have t? And in the quadratic, I'm not sure which ones would be a, b, or c. I'm thinking in the quadratic formula it's something like.

t = x

b = Vi

a = a

c = Xf

so it will then look like: at^2 + Vit - Xf = 0

I'm trying to figure this out.

Leoragon said:
But how can you get Xf if you don't have t? And in the quadratic, I'm not sure which ones would be a, b, or c. I'm thinking in the quadratic formula it's something like.

t = x

b = Vi

a = a

c = Xf

so it will then look like: at^2 + Vit - Xf = 0

I'm trying to figure this out.
Shouldn't the first term be ½at^2?

Leoragon said:
But how can you get Xf if you don't have t?
This whole discussion assumes you know everything in the equation except t.
In the OP, you had X0 = 0, V0 = 0, Xf = 71.3, a = g, and you solved it happily. To do that, you effectively rearranged the equation to be
(a/2)t2 + V0t + X0 - Xf = 0
Then you asked what if X0, V0 are nonzero, to which I answered, just plug those nonzero values into the same equation.

1. How do you calculate the velocity of an object dropped from 71.3m?

To calculate the velocity of an object dropped from a certain height, we can use the formula v = √(2gh), where v is the velocity, g is the acceleration due to gravity (9.8 m/s²), and h is the height in meters. In this case, plugging in 71.3m for h, we get a velocity of approximately 33.6 m/s.

2. What is the acceleration due to gravity and why is it important in calculating velocity?

The acceleration due to gravity, denoted as g, is a constant value of 9.8 m/s² on Earth. It is important in calculating velocity because it is the force that pulls objects towards the Earth, causing them to accelerate. This means that the velocity of an object dropped from a certain height will increase by 9.8 m/s every second.

3. Can the velocity of an object dropped from 71.3m be negative?

Yes, the velocity of an object dropped from 71.3m can be negative. In physics, velocity is a vector quantity, meaning it has both magnitude and direction. When an object is dropped from a height, its initial velocity is considered to be upwards, or positive. As it falls, its velocity decreases until it reaches zero when it hits the ground. After that, its velocity becomes negative as it bounces back up.

4. How does air resistance affect the calculation of velocity for an object dropped from 71.3m?

Air resistance, also known as drag, can affect the calculation of velocity for an object dropped from 71.3m. It is a force that opposes the motion of an object through air. As an object falls, air resistance increases, causing a decrease in the object's velocity. This means that the calculated velocity using the formula v = √(2gh) may not be entirely accurate, as it does not take into account the effects of air resistance.

5. Can the velocity of an object dropped from 71.3m be greater than the calculated value?

No, the velocity of an object dropped from 71.3m cannot be greater than the calculated value. This is because the formula v = √(2gh) gives the maximum possible velocity of an object dropped from a certain height, assuming that there is no air resistance. In reality, the velocity will be slightly lower due to the effects of air resistance. It is possible for the object to reach a higher velocity if it is being accelerated by another force, such as wind, but this is not accounted for in the calculation using the given formula.