Objects Moving with a Constant Velocity & Constant Acceleration

T-3)^2/2This conversation is about an object starting at time t = 0 with a velocity of v0 = 21 m/s and undergoing a constant acceleration of a = -5 m/s^2. The object's distance from its starting point at the time it comes to rest is 132.2 meters. A second object with a constant speed of v = 19 m/s begins moving in the same direction from the same location 3 seconds later. The paths of these two objects will cross when the first object is on its way back and the second object has a 3 second lead. This can be represented by the equations x = (21 m/s)t - (1/2)(5 m
Naeem
Q. An object starts at time t = 0 with a velocity of v0 = + 21 m/s and undergoes a constant acceleration of a = -5 m/s^2.

a) How far from its starting ( t = 0 ) is the object at time at which it comes to rest?

Solution:

Since, the object undergoes constant acc. constant acceleration equations may be applied.

Therefore,

We need to find the time 't' first,

so, v = v0 + at ( It is going to rest , so v = 0 m/s )

-v0 = at

Given a = -5 m/s^2.

Plugging in we get t = 4.2 seconds, which I believe is right.

Then, using:

x -x0 = v0t - 1/2 a*(t2-t1)^2

x0 ----> 0
v0-----> +21 m/s
't' from above ------> 4.2 seconds which is 't2) and t1 = 0 ---> at rest.
'a' from above -------> -5 m/s^2

Plugging in all the know data in the above eqn, then give us.

x = (21 m/s)*(4.2 seconds) - 1/2 ( -5 m/s^2) * ( t2-t1)^2

I got x = 88.2 + 44.1 = 132.2 meters.

Is this correct!

b) Suppose a second object begins moving with a constant speed of v = 19 m/s in the same direction from the same location 3 seconds later. At what time do the paths of these two objects again cross?

If the objects cross, then their x - coordinates, may be set equal to one another and solved for time. That's all I know. I tried to setup by doing the following:

1st case:

v0 = +21 m/s
a = -5 m/s^2
t = 0 at rest

2nd case :

v0 = 19 m/s
and since its constant speed acc. - 0.

setting up the constant acc,equations for the 1st case data:

x = (21m/s)t - 1/2 (-5 m/s^2)t^2

setting up the constant acc, equations for the 2nd case data:

x = (19m/s)t [ and the rest of the terms vanish since speed is constant for the second case )

equating the above we get:

21t + 2.5t^2 = 19t

then, becomes quadratic.

2.5t^2-19t+21t = 0

is this correct so far. Is my reasoning correct for both the parts so far.
and my work!

Can one be kind enough to tell me if something is wrong.

Thanks, for looking
and appreciate some feedback!

Physics news on Phys.org
A)

Plugging in all the know data in the above eqn, then give us.

x = (21 m/s)*(4.2 seconds) - 1/2 ( -5 m/s^2) * ( t2-t1)^2

I got x = 88.2 + 44.1 = 132.2 meters.

Is this correct!

If you use a = -5, then you must place a positive instead of the bolded negative above. If you use a = 5, then you can keep it the way it is.

B)

x = (21m/s)t - 1/2 (-5 m/s^2)t^2
Same thing as above.

Your reasoning is correct for this portion, but you need to take into account that the first puck has a 3 second lead! Also note, that they will cross when the first puck is on its way BACK.

x -x0 = v0t - 1/2 a*(t2-t1)^2

The above "presumes" that acceleration is in the negative direction. Like whozum said if you use a=5 then the above is ok. I'd advise you to just use

x -x0 = v0t + 1/2 a*(t2-t1)^2

in general... and then plug in the appropriate a. Here you'd plug in a=-5.

Also for your first part... there is a different equation you can use to solve immediately.

d=(v2^2 - v1^2)/(2a)

For part b, that means ,change it as follows:

x = (21m/s)t - 1/2 (-5 m/s^2)(t-3)^2

or change the 2nd case, equation, to x = (19m/s)(t-3)

Please advise!

Naeem said:
For part b, that means ,change it as follows:

x = (21m/s)t - 1/2 (-5 m/s^2)(t-3)^2

or change the 2nd case, equation, to x = (19m/s)(t-3)

Please advise!

Too many minus signs in your first equation. The general formula is

x = x_0 + (v_0)t + (1/2)at^2

Your a is a negative quantity, so one minus sign in the equation.

Also, the first object starts from x = 0 at t = 0. There should not be a (t-3) in the first equation. The second equation (for the second object) is correct. The two objects will meet when x is the same in both equations. Set your two expressions for x equal to one another and solve for t.

Do you have a TI-83? Put it in parametric mode and graph the following to visualize the problem:
X1 = T
Y1 = -5T^2/2 + 19T
X2 = T
Y2 = 21(T-3)

What is the difference between constant velocity and constant acceleration?

Constant velocity refers to an object's motion at a consistent speed and direction. Constant acceleration, on the other hand, refers to an object's motion where the speed or direction is changing at a constant rate.

How can I calculate an object's position at a given time when it is moving with constant velocity?

To calculate an object's position at a given time when it is moving with constant velocity, you can use the equation: position = initial position + velocity x time. This equation takes into account the object's starting position, its velocity, and the amount of time it has been moving.

What is the equation for calculating an object's velocity when it is moving with constant acceleration?

The equation for calculating an object's velocity when it is moving with constant acceleration is: final velocity = initial velocity + acceleration x time. This equation takes into account the object's starting velocity, the acceleration it is experiencing, and the amount of time it has been moving.

Is it possible for an object to have both constant velocity and constant acceleration at the same time?

No, it is not possible for an object to have both constant velocity and constant acceleration at the same time. This is because constant acceleration means that the speed or direction of the object is changing, while constant velocity means that the speed and direction are staying the same.

How does air resistance affect an object's motion when it is moving with constant velocity and constant acceleration?

Air resistance can affect an object's motion when it is moving with constant velocity and constant acceleration by slowing down the object's speed or changing its direction. This is because air resistance is a force that opposes the motion of an object and can cause it to experience a deceleration or change in direction.