Solve 1-D Wave Equation: Superposition of Complex Exponentials

In summary, the problem requires expressing the solution P(t,x1) = cos(!t − kx1) as the superposition of two complex exponentials and showing that each complex exponential is also a solution of the 1-D wave equation. Using Euler's formula, cos(!t − kx1) can be written as the sum of two complex exponentials, and it can be easily verified that each of these complex exponentials satisfies the 1-D wave equation.
SWiTCHRiDE

Homework Statement

Express the solution
P(t, x1) = cos(!t − kx1)
as the superposition of two complex exponentials. Show that each complex
exponential is also a solution of the 1-D wave equation.

Homework Equations

just that THETA=P
!=w

whoops, made a type

The Attempt at a Solution

im not really sure how to tackle this, i do know that a solution to the wave equation added to another solution is also a solution.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
well, for the first part, what is the complex exponential equivalent of cos?

Hint: Remeber that Euler's Formula igives [tex]e^{i\theta}=cos\theta + isin\theta[/tex] and [tex]e^{-{i\theta}}=cos\theta - isin\theta[/tex]. How can you derive a formula for [tex]cos\theta[/tex] from this (ie how do you get cos in terms of _only_ complex exponentials.

You know that from the first part you should be able to express your wave function as a sum of two complex exponentials. Take each one and sub it into the wave equation and see if the LS equates to the RS for each one. It may also be useful to remember that [tex]\frac{\omega}{k}=v[/tex] where v is the velocity of the wave.

The solutions to the wave equation are http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harmonic_function" . Their sums, differences and scalar multiples are also solutions to the wave equation.

You should use "[URL formula[/URL] to write the cosine as a sum of two complex exponentials.

EDIT: crossposted with Warr

Last edited by a moderator:
Ahh don't you guys love it when you see a formula for the first time, and it looks obscure and you don't really understand it, eg Euler formula. And then you take a second to think, and from Eulers Formula you can get the good old cos^2 x + sin^2 x=1? I love it :p

guys, thanks for the help but I am so lost in all this stuff. Is there somewhere where i can learn about harmonic functions to get up to speed. i did crappy in the math course before the geophys course I am taking so I am pretty lost as it is. i do not want the answer (obviously) but an easier explanation leading me down the right path please...

SWiTCHRiDE said:
guys, thanks for the help but I am so lost in all this stuff. Is there somewhere where i can learn about harmonic functions to get up to speed. i did crappy in the math course before the geophys course I am taking so I am pretty lost as it is. i do not want the answer (obviously) but an easier explanation leading me down the right path please...

You can't get easier than this:

Warr said:
Euler's Formula igives [tex]e^{i\theta}=cos\theta + isin\theta[/tex] and [tex]e^{-{i\theta}}=cos\theta - isin\theta[/tex]. How can you derive a formula for [tex]cos\theta[/tex] from this (ie how do you get cos in terms of _only_ complex exponentials.

Try adding the two equations.

ok, i get (in words i don't know how to type it fancy...)

cos (theta) = [ e^j(theta) + e^-j(theta) ] /2

then just sub back in for (theta)

because adding euler together was adding 2 complex equations right?

Last edited:
The problem asks to express the solution [tex]P(t,x_{1})=cos({\omega}t-kx_{1})[/tex] as the superposition of two complex exponentials and to show that each complex exponential is also a solution of the 1-D wave equation. Now using Euler's formula you found that

[tex]cos({\omega}t-kx_{1}) = \frac{e^{j({\omega}t-kx_{1})}+e^{-j({\omega}t-kx_{1})}}{2}[/tex]

right?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Superposition_principle" , if you didn't know, means algebraic sum.

So what would be the two complex exponentials which summed give you [tex]P(t,x_{1})=cos({\omega}t-kx_{1})[/tex] ?

I'm sure you know the answer. Next you need to verify that the two complex exponentials are also solutions to the wave equation, which is very easy since you know the expression of the 1D wave equation.

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is the 1-D Wave Equation?

The 1-D Wave Equation is a partial differential equation that describes the behavior of waves in one dimension. It is used to model a variety of phenomena, including sound waves, electromagnetic waves, and water waves.

2. What is superposition of complex exponentials?

Superposition of complex exponentials is a mathematical technique used to solve the 1-D Wave Equation. It involves breaking down the equation into simpler parts and then combining them to find a general solution.

3. Why is superposition of complex exponentials useful for solving the 1-D Wave Equation?

Superposition of complex exponentials allows us to find a general solution to the 1-D Wave Equation that can be used to describe a wide range of wave phenomena. It also allows us to combine simpler solutions to create more complex solutions.

4. How is superposition of complex exponentials used in real-world applications?

The 1-D Wave Equation and superposition of complex exponentials are used in a variety of fields, including physics, engineering, and signal processing. They are used to model and predict the behavior of waves in various systems, such as in musical instruments, radio and telecommunications, and ocean waves.

5. Are there any limitations to using superposition of complex exponentials to solve the 1-D Wave Equation?

Superposition of complex exponentials is a powerful tool for solving the 1-D Wave Equation, but it does have some limitations. It assumes that the medium through which the wave is traveling is linear and homogeneous, and it may not accurately describe more complex wave phenomena or systems with nonlinear behavior.