Calculating Maxima in 1-D Wave Interference with a Half-Silvered Mirror

In summary, the problem involves monochromatic light with a wavelength of 400 nm entering at point A and being directed to mirrors B and D by a half-silvered mirror at point B. The reflected light from mirror C combines with the reflected light from mirror D at the detector, and mirror C can be moved to change the path length. Moving mirror C through 10 microns results in a certain number of maxima observed at the detector, assuming the intensity at D is initially a minimum. To determine the number of maxima, the number of wavelengths in 10 microns must be calculated.
XJellieBX

Homework Statement

Monochromatic light of wavelength [tex]\lambda[/tex] = 400 nm enters at A. It impinges on a ‘half-silvered mirror’ B, which directs some of the light to mirror C, while passing the rest to mirror D. Some of the reflected light from mirror C passes back through the half-silvered mirror, where it combines with reflected light from D, arriving at the detector. Mirror C is attached to a micrometer, so that it can be moved to change the path length B − C − B.
If mirror C is moved through 10 microns (1 micron is 10−6 m), how many maxima will be
observed at the detector? Assume that the intensity at D is intially a minimum.

Homework Equations

D(x,t)=asin(kx-wt+[tex]\phi_{0}[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm actually not sure how to approach this to begin with, so any advice is appreciated. I've also attached a copy of the diagram. I'm thinking this might have something to do with the path length being x1 and x2

Attachments

• interferometer.jpg
    interferometer.jpg
    6.3 KB · Views: 425
Physics news on Phys.org
Hi XJellieBX! :smile:

If mirror C is moved through 10−6 m, how much longer does that make the path?

So how many wavelengths is that? And how many maxima will go past?

So if I find how many wavelengths that is, which i did find, i can figure out the number of maxima. I'm just not too sure if that is all this question is asking for, but thank you nevertheless =)

1. What is 1-D wave interference?

1-D wave interference refers to the phenomenon of two or more waves overlapping and interacting with each other in one dimension, resulting in a new wave pattern.

2. How does 1-D wave interference occur?

1-D wave interference occurs when two or more waves with the same frequency and amplitude travel through the same medium and overlap at a specific point. This results in constructive or destructive interference, depending on the phase difference between the waves.

3. What is the difference between constructive and destructive interference?

Constructive interference occurs when the waves overlap and align in phase, resulting in a larger amplitude and a stronger wave. Destructive interference occurs when the waves overlap and are out of phase, resulting in a smaller amplitude and a weaker wave.

4. What factors affect 1-D wave interference?

The factors that affect 1-D wave interference include the amplitude, frequency, and wavelength of the waves, as well as the distance between the sources of the waves and the medium they are traveling through.

5. How is 1-D wave interference used in real-world applications?

1-D wave interference is used in various real-world applications, such as in radio communication, music production, and medical imaging. It is also studied in the field of optics to understand the behavior of light waves and develop technologies such as interference filters and diffraction gratings.