1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

1-dimensional random walk

1. Jan 2, 2016 #1
    Hello!
    I'm struggling with a probably easy physics question concerning random walks. Here I have the slide regarding this:
    Delta is the distance that a particle moves.
    upload_2016-1-2_16-32-9.png

Can someone explain where the n-1 initially comes from? Does it have to do wtih the concept of the degrees of freedom?
    Than you already! Regards, Vera

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 2, 2016 #2
    Not sure if I understand the question. So your first equation states that after ##n## steps the particle is at the position it was after the previous step (which is the ##(n-1)##th step) plus some ##\delta##. If you put in ##n=1## you get that the position after the first step is the initial position plus some ##\delta##: ##x_1(1) - x_i(0) \pm \delta##. Every next step a new ##\delta## is added, so of course the position after ##n## steps depends on the position after ##(n-1)## steps. Why do you think this has to do anything with degrees of freedom?

4. Jan 2, 2016 #3

Samy_A

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

After ##n-1## steps, particle i is at position ##x_i(n-1)##.
    One step after that, at step ##n##, particle i has moved by ##\pm \delta##: therefore ##x_i(n)=x_i(n-1)\pm \delta##.

5. Jan 2, 2016 #4

fresh_42

Staff: Mentor

The notations ##x_n^{(i)}## and ##<x_n^{(i)} | 1≤i≤N >## might have been less confusing. Or more.

6. Jan 2, 2016 #5
    Oh okay, thank you. After some thinking ad not giving that much emphasis of on this n-1 (which so muchly looks like the n-1 from the df concept) I finally realized what both of you mean ;) I was really confused about why suddenly this n-1 would appear. But its probably quite reasonable. oO Thanks a lot!

7. Jan 2, 2016 #6
    @fresh42: More (for I have no clue what the vertical bar means AND SO ON) ;)

8. Jan 2, 2016 #7
    Another question:
    Equation 1.) is followed by equation 2.). In equation 2.) the delta is treated separately as encircled in red colour. Is this just a process of pulling the expression after the sigma sign in equ. 1 apart?
    But then, why is the second expression (in the circle) SUBTRACTED from the first part of equ. 2.)? I know it doesn't really matter as delta is 0... but just assume that the encircled expression without the minus in the beginning would equal a positive number. Then the outcome would be different compared to when the expression was negative. I know there's a mistake in thinking but I I just can figure out what's behind this. ^^

1.) upload_2016-1-2_18-17-55.png

2.) upload_2016-1-2_18-10-26.png

Just how I'd approach this: The first part of equ. 2.) is the average of all preceding steps (n-1) and the second part is the average of all distances after one step. Then, if I subtract all deltas and assume their average was negative (which just means this whole particle is moving in the opposite direction compared to a positive delta) this would result in a position (x) actually in the opposite direction of the negative delta average for it is subtracted from the first average...

Is that right or complete bullsh**???? ;) Thanks!

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 2, 2016
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook