Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

1-dimensional space and time

1. Aug 1, 2004 #1
    Hi, I'm new user, just another ignorant afficionado to popular science but not skilled in real physics or math.

As I understand it, we can split our universe in 2 quite different parts: the universe of matter and the universe of radiation.
    Radiation (in vacuum) is 1-dimensional, distances and time shrinked to zero size (if I'm correct, actually space dimensions are shrinked to zero and time dimension is extended to infinite, which in fact amounts to much the same as being shrinked to zero as well).
    i.e. when we picture light in a light-cone we draw a line at 45º but actually all of its points are a single point (the photon leaving the sun and the earth 8 minutes later are actually "the same place at the same instant" for the radiation).
    On the other hand the universe of matter is (at least) 4-dimensional.

Can we say that the universe we experience is made up by the interaction of the matter 4-dimesional universe "sweeping through" a miriad of 1-dimensional radiation "point-universes" ?

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 12, 2004
  2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you help with the solution or looking for help too?
Draft saved Draft deleted