1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

1/e Life-Time of a Graph

1. Sep 4, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Given that... The units of voltage are “Volts” and the units of time are “seconds”
    Show τe (1/e life-time) on your graph and find a value for τe from your graph. ( The definition of τe is similar to the definition of τ1/2 (half-life))

V(t) t(s)
    24 0.1
    20 0.2
    14 0.3
    12 0.4
    10 0.5
    7.5 0.6
    5.5 0.7
    4.8 0.8
    3.5 0.9
    2.6 1.0

2. Relevant equations

V(t) = Vi*e^-αt

3. The attempt at a solution
    I got the half life as .3 seconds. But I have no idea what is the life-time of a graph and how to even get it. I've tried googling it but to no avail. If anyone can help tell me the value and how you got it, I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks!

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 4, 2013 #2
    The 1/e lifetime is 1/α. Take the natural log of both sides of the equation. Graph the data using a semi-log scale for V and an arithmetic scale for t. The slope should be -α. See if you can figure out why this procedure works.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted