1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

1% iron solution?

1. Dec 16, 2009 #1
    1% iron solution??

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Dissolve 1.70g of iron III chloride in 99 ml of distilled water. Mix well and label 1% iron.

2. Relevant equations

I've tried to check the value of the iron percentage but I don't succeed.

3. The attempt at a solution

First I've tried to find out the number of mole of FeCl3,6H2O (M=270g.mol-1) in 1.70 g and found the mass of iron 0.352 g then divide this mass by the total mass (1,7+99), but it doesn't work. Could anyone help me? Thanks in advance.
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 16, 2009 #2

Borek

Staff: Mentor

Re: 1% iron solution??

This will be 1% in FeCl3, not Fe.

--

4. Dec 16, 2009 #3

The protocol is here
    http://dwb4.unl.edu/Chem/CHEM869K/CHEM869KMats/SimpleIronLab.html
    And i still don't understand "Dissolve 1.70g of iron III chloride in 99 ml of distilled water. Mix well and label 1% iron."
    Could anyone show me the calculation to check the 1% iron.
    Thanks in advance.

5. Dec 17, 2009 #4

chemisttree

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

You are going to determine iron in what form? You are going to report iron as Fe or Fe2O3 or FeCl3? I've got a feeling that you won't be reporting iron as FeCl3. Find out the form you need and ratio the molecular wt to that of FeCl3.

I'm guessing that it will be something like 1.7.

6. Dec 17, 2009 #5
  7. Dec 17, 2009 #6

Borek

That could be accidental, but to prepare 1% w/w FeCl3 solution you need to dissolve 1.7 g (more precisely 1.68 g) of FeCl3.6H2O in appropriate amount of water.

I wrote concentration calculator just to be able to check such things on the fly...

--

8. Dec 17, 2009 #7

I'm sorry to ask you this question.
    It may be obvious but as i didn't succeed.
    Would you mind showing me the calculation?
    Thanks in advance.

9. Dec 17, 2009 #8

Borek

Basically you have to calculate what is mass of FeCl3 in 1.7g FeCl3.6H3O. Start calculating their molar masses. 1 mole of FeCl3.6H3O contains how many moles of FeCl3?

--

10. Dec 18, 2009 #9

chemisttree

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Assume that the FeCl3 is anhydrous.

You are asked to label it 0.10 M, not 1%, right? If that is the case, then you are on the right track. Be sure to carefully weigh the FeCl3 and label it accordingly. You might not need to measure it out to three or four decimals, but you should do so in your calculations.

Remember that moles = grams/formula wt. and that concentration (M) = moles/volume(L)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook