How to Create 1% Iron Solution - Step by Step Guide

• Thread starter lesieux
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Iron
In summary, after trying to find out the number of moles of FeCl3,6H2O (M=270g.mol-1) in 1.70 g, the individual was unsuccessful in doing so. They then attempted to find out the mass of iron in the solution by dividing the mass of iron by the total mass of the FeCl3.6H2O. This did not work, and the individual was then asked to label the solution as 0.10 M instead of 1%.
lesieux
1% iron solution??

Homework Statement

Dissolve 1.70g of iron III chloride in 99 ml of distilled water. Mix well and label 1% iron.

Homework Equations

I've tried to check the value of the iron percentage but I don't succeed.

The Attempt at a Solution

First I've tried to find out the number of mole of FeCl3,6H2O (M=270g.mol-1) in 1.70 g and found the mass of iron 0.352 g then divide this mass by the total mass (1,7+99), but it doesn't work. Could anyone help me? Thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org

This will be 1% in FeCl3, not Fe.

--

The protocol is here
http://dwb4.unl.edu/Chem/CHEM869K/CHEM869KMats/SimpleIronLab.html
And i still don't understand "Dissolve 1.70g of iron III chloride in 99 ml of distilled water. Mix well and label 1% iron."
Could anyone show me the calculation to check the 1% iron.
Thanks in advance.

You are going to determine iron in what form? You are going to report iron as Fe or Fe2O3 or FeCl3? I've got a feeling that you won't be reporting iron as FeCl3. Find out the form you need and ratio the molecular wt to that of FeCl3.

I'm guessing that it will be something like 1.7.

chemisttree said:
I'm guessing that it will be something like 1.7.

That could be accidental, but to prepare 1% w/w FeCl3 solution you need to dissolve 1.7 g (more precisely 1.68 g) of FeCl3.6H2O in appropriate amount of water.

I wrote concentration calculator just to be able to check such things on the fly...

--

I'm sorry to ask you this question.
It may be obvious but as i didn't succeed.
Would you mind showing me the calculation?
Thanks in advance.

Basically you have to calculate what is mass of FeCl3 in 1.7g FeCl3.6H3O. Start calculating their molar masses. 1 mole of FeCl3.6H3O contains how many moles of FeCl3?

--

Assume that the FeCl3 is anhydrous.

You are asked to label it 0.10 M, not 1%, right? If that is the case, then you are on the right track. Be sure to carefully weigh the FeCl3 and label it accordingly. You might not need to measure it out to three or four decimals, but you should do so in your calculations.

Remember that moles = grams/formula wt. and that concentration (M) = moles/volume(L)

What is "Create 1% Iron Solution"?

"Create 1% Iron Solution" is a scientific process that involves creating a solution that is 1% iron by weight. This solution can be used in various experiments and studies to introduce iron into a system in a controlled manner.

How is "Create 1% Iron Solution" made?

To create 1% iron solution, you will need to measure out 1 gram of iron powder and dissolve it in 99 grams of water. This will result in a solution that is 1% iron by weight.

What is the purpose of "Create 1% Iron Solution"?

The purpose of creating 1% iron solution is to have a controlled and precise amount of iron in a solution for experiments and studies. This allows for accurate and reproducible results.

What are the safety precautions for making "Create 1% Iron Solution"?

When making 1% iron solution, it is important to wear appropriate personal protective equipment, such as gloves and goggles, as iron can be corrosive and toxic in high concentrations. It is also important to handle the iron powder with care to avoid inhaling it.

Can "Create 1% Iron Solution" be used for human consumption?

No, "Create 1% Iron Solution" is not safe for human consumption. It is intended for scientific purposes only and should not be ingested.