Solving Question 14: I HAVE NO IDEA WHY MY ANSWER IS WRONG!

In summary: The person pushes along the slope. If you know the height you can calculate the sloping distance. The work done is 250x1.5=375j.
mutineer123

Homework Statement

http://www.xtremepapers.com/CIE/International%20A%20And%20AS%20Level/9702%20-%20Physics/9702_w10_qp_12.pdf

question 14

Homework Equations

mgh=gpE
fxd=workdone

The Attempt at a Solution

I HAVE NO IDEA WHY MY ANSWER IS WRONG! AND THIS IS GETTING ME so WORRIED ABOUT MY CONCEPTUAL UNDERSTANDING!
I found the component down the surface which was 100N, I added 150N to this(as he has to overcome the friction) so now i just use Fxd=250x1.5=375j. But the actual answer is 750j HOW COME??

Physics news on Phys.org

The 250 N force acts along the length of the slope. 1.5 m is the height.

ehild

2 works done here.
1. Overheating the surface, friction.
2. Increases the PE,

Workout separately and added them.

ehild said:
The 250 N force acts along the length of the slope. 1.5 m is the height.

ehild
ISn't the energy we are evaluating mgh?(which is the same as Fxd). SO whenever we use gravitational potential energy, shouldn't we use the height and not the slope!

mutineer123 said:
I HAVE NO IDEA WHY MY ANSWER IS WRONG! AND THIS IS GETTING ME so WORRIED ABOUT MY CONCEPTUAL UNDERSTANDING!
I found the component down the surface which was 100N, I added 150N to this(as he has to overcome the friction) so now i just use Fxd=250x1.5=375j. But the actual answer is 750j HOW COME??

Since you have found the component down the surface then use the component of length of the surface.

Actually work done= FxdxCosθ

mutineer123 said:
ISn't the energy we are evaluating mgh?(which is the same as Fxd). SO whenever we use gravitational potential energy, shouldn't we use the height and not the slope!

The question reads: "What is the work done by the person?".It is not equal to the gravitational potential energy.

ehild

the persion pushes along the slope. If you know the height you can calculate the sloping distance.
I also got the total pushing force to be 250N

1. Why is my answer wrong?

There could be several reasons for your answer being wrong. It could be due to a miscalculation, misunderstanding of the problem, or simply a careless mistake. It is important to double check your work and try to identify where you went wrong.

2. How can I improve my problem-solving skills?

Improving problem-solving skills takes practice and patience. Some ways to improve include breaking down complex problems into smaller, manageable parts, seeking help from others, and constantly challenging yourself with new and difficult problems.

3. What are some common mistakes to avoid when solving problems?

Common mistakes to avoid when solving problems include not reading the question carefully, rushing through the problem, not showing your work, and not double checking your answer. It is important to take your time and approach the problem systematically.

4. How can I stay motivated when facing challenging problems?

Staying motivated when facing challenging problems can be difficult, but it is important to remember that problem-solving skills improve with practice. Try breaking the problem into smaller parts and rewarding yourself with breaks or small accomplishments along the way.

5. What resources can I use to help me solve problems?

There are many resources available to help with problem-solving, including textbooks, online tutorials, practice problems, and study groups. It is also helpful to seek guidance and feedback from a teacher, mentor, or tutor.