Why Dividing 1 by 0 is Impossible?

In summary, dividing by zero is absurd because it can give conflicting results or any desired result. This is demonstrated through a mathematical argument and a humorous example involving monkeys and coconuts. However, the main point is that dividing by zero is generally not useful in any practical sense.
abc
why can't we divide 1 by 0 ?
can anyone prove iy mathmatically ?
thanx
regards
abc

Mathematics news on Phys.org
There's a number of reasons why dividing anything by zero is absurd, but here's a simple argument:

Suppose there was such a number as 1/0, call it k.

Now suppose we find 1/(0+0). This must be equal to k/2 since the denominator in the second fraction is twice the denominator of the first fraction. But 0+0=0 and so we find that k=k/2. Therefore k=0.

But now we have 1/k=k and so k is plus or minus 1, which is not zero.

The point is that dividing by zero generally gives you conflicting results, or else you can make it give you any result you want. Neither of which is particularly useful.

thank u very much Nexus[Free-DC] for wonderful explanation ...
regards
abc

This is something a math teacher told me long ago about dividing by zero. I hope I remember it right. I thought it was clever.

Suppose you have a bunch of coconuts that you want to divide evenly to give
to a group of monkeys.

If you have 6 coconuts and 3 monkeys, how many does each monkey get?
6 coconuts divided by 3 monkeys = 2 coconuts for each monkey.

If you have 3 coconuts and 3 monkeys, how many does each monkey get?
3 coconuts divided by 3 monkeys = 1 coconut for each monkey.

If you have 0 coconuts and 3 monkeys, how many does each monkey get?
0 coconuts divided by 3 monkeys = 0 coconuts for each monkey.

but if you have 3 coconuts and 0 monkeys, how many does each monkey get?
It's now a nonsense question because there are no monkeys!

I'm going to have to disagree with your proof Mathishard. My disagreeance stems from the fact that monkeys don't eat coconuts. :rofl:

I stand corrected! :redface:

That's why monkeys seldom appear in formal mathematical proofs!

Gza said:
I'm going to have to disagree with your proof Mathishard. My disagreeance stems from the fact that monkeys don't eat coconuts. :rofl:

But they do like to chuck them around...especially at the heads of human passersby. Who said anything about eating ?

1. Why is dividing 1 by 0 impossible?

Dividing by zero is impossible because it violates the basic mathematical principle of division - that is, dividing a number by another number results in a unique quotient. In the case of dividing 1 by 0, there is no value that can be multiplied by 0 to produce 1, making it impossible.

2. Can you provide a real-life example of why dividing by 0 is impossible?

One example could be dividing a pizza into 0 slices. It is impossible to do because there is no way to divide the pizza evenly without any slices, and therefore, there is no unique quotient.

3. Is there any number that can be divided by 0?

No, there is no number that can be divided by 0. Any number divided by 0 results in an undefined or infinite value.

4. What would happen if we were able to divide by 0?

If we were able to divide by 0, it would lead to inconsistencies and contradictions in mathematical equations and principles. It would also make it impossible to solve many mathematical problems.

5. Is there a way to express dividing by 0 mathematically?

Yes, dividing by 0 can be expressed as an indeterminate form, usually denoted as "∞" or "undefined". This indicates that the result of the division is undefined or infinitely large.