1 Parsec = 3.08568025 × 10^16 meters

• Thread starter VantagePoint72
  • Start date
In summary, the two definitions of a parsec are different in how they calculate the parallax. The first definition uses the length of an isosceles triangle to calculate the parallax, while the second uses the apparent parallax of a star plotted against the background stars.
VantagePoint72
A quick Google search reveals that 1 Parsec = 3.08568025 × 10^16 meters.
I have read two different rephrasings of the definition of a parsec:

1) The distance one would have to be from two luminous objects separated by one Astronomical Unit in order for them to appear one second of arc apart
2) Being a contraction of PARallax SECond, it is the distance of a star that would appear to have a parallax of one second of arc as the Earth completes half a revolution around the Sun

My problem is that these two definitions seem to be incompatible. Please note that I am not trying to disprove one, simply find out where the error in my math is (or perhaps my understanding of these two definitions). My ultra high-tech MS Paint diagrams, attached, illustrate my problem.
Figure 1 shows the first definition:
Length L represents the length of a parsec, and can be easily calculated as it is the perpendicular bisector of the given isosceles triangle. The angle of the right triangle created would be half of an arc second, the adjacent side L and the opposite side 0.5 AU. A quick trig calculation show L to have a length of 206264.8 AU. As one AU=149 598 000 000 metres, one parsec equals 3.085680248 x 10^16 metres, matching the above stated value.
Figure 2 shows the second defintion:
Since the Earth's displacement over 6 months is 2 earth-sun distances, the base of this triangle is 2 Astronomical Units. 1" is the apparent parallax of the plotted star and by the Opposite Angle Theorem we see that theta must also equal 1". Now we have an isosceles triangle like above only while the angle remains the same, the base is twice the length. One need not go through to the steps again (though you may of course do so if you wish) to see that this will give a length for the parsec twice the stated value.

What's going on here?

Attachments

• 1_jpeg.JPG
    1_jpeg.JPG
    3.5 KB · Views: 422
  • 2_jpeg.JPG
    2_jpeg.JPG
    9.5 KB · Views: 504
Last edited:
Astronomy news on Phys.org
It's only an issue of the definition of parallax:

http://encyclopedia.laborlawtalk.com/Image:Stellarparallax2.png

It's half the angle in your diagram.

Last edited by a moderator:
Your second drawing shows a triangle with a base of 2 AU causing a parallax causing a 1" shift against the background stars. This base is 2 AU so you would need to drop a line through the center straight down to make two right triangles, each with a 1 AU distance.

As to:
2) Being a contraction of PARallax SECond, it is the distance of a star that would appear to have a parallax of one second of arc as the Earth completes half a revolution around the Sun
This is often stated but is not what they (should) mean. We use that measurement, calculate an angle (parallax) and then use 0.5 of that to make an accurate estimate of distance.

EDIT: Just saw ST's link above, and it clearly shows the angle used to be 1/2 of a six month (1/2 year) orbit.

Last edited:
Thanks guys. That clarifies things. :smile:

1. What is a parsec?

A parsec is a unit of measurement used in astronomy to define distance. It stands for "parallax of one arcsecond" and is equal to approximately 3.26 light years.

2. How is a parsec related to meters?

A parsec is equal to 3.08568025 × 10^16 meters. This is the distance that light travels in one year, so it is a very large unit of measurement.

3. Why is a parsec used instead of other units of measurement?

In astronomy, distances between objects in space are often very large. Using units like meters or kilometers would result in very large numbers, which can be difficult to work with. A parsec is a more convenient unit for measuring these distances.

4. How was the value of 1 parsec determined?

The value of 1 parsec was determined through trigonometric parallax, which involves measuring the apparent shift in position of a star when viewed from different points on Earth's orbit around the sun. This method was first proposed by Friedrich Bessel in the early 19th century.

5. Is a parsec a fixed distance?

No, a parsec is not a fixed distance. Its value is based on the distance between the Earth and the Sun, which can change slightly over time due to the Earth's orbit. Therefore, the value of a parsec may vary slightly over time.