1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

1 Q need help

1. Mar 31, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    a stone is thrown vertically downward from the top of 40 m tall building with an initial speed of 1 after 2s the stone will have traveled a distance of?

2. Relevant equations
    x=vt+0.5at^2

vf=vi+at

3. The attempt at a solution
    1(2)+0.5(-9.8)(2)^2=-17.6

the answer i was given is 22

and i tried to put 9.8 without negative and it was 21.6 is this one right ??
    why is the acceleration positive while going up is negative ???

waiting and thank you

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 31, 2014 #2

BvU

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Hello Nouf, and welcome to PF.
    The key is in your inital speed. (Don't forget to always add units to values if it is for a variable with a dimension, like here: v = 1 m/s)

Speed (velocity) has a magnitude and a direction. It matters if the stone is thrown up [ meaning v(0) = 1 m/s ] or down [ meaning v(0) = -1 m/s ]. This orientation I copied from your using (-9.8) as the acceleration, which is definitely towards the earth, so downwards!

The reason the answer is 21.6 and not -21.6 is because usually distance traveled is taken to be positive. In this case from y = 0 (top of building) to y = -21.6 Distance is |y(2) - y(0)|.

It is a good habit ("natural choice") to choose coordinates such that x is horizontal and y is vertical in 2 dimensional problems. For 3 dimensional problems we usually pick x and y in the horizontal plane and z up. (x to the right, y forward).

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted