Exploring Universes with Scale-Related Mass: Consequences & Solutions

In summary, the authors propose that universes with scale-related total masses can solve the horizon problem and have no low vacuum energies.
wolram
Gold Member
Dearly Missed
http://arxiv.org/abs/astro-ph/0606048

About universes with scale-related total masses and their abolition of presently outstanding cosmological problems
Authors: H.J. Fahr, M. Heyl
Comments: Submitted to AN. 7 pages

Cosmological consequences of a strictly valid total energy conservation for the whole universe are investigated in this paper. Interestingly enough as one consequence of ergodically behaving universes very specific scaling laws with the diameter R of the universe can be derived for relevant cosmic quantities. Especially the 1/R^2- scaling of mass - and vacuum energy - density then automatically leads to a vanishing cosmic curvature parameter k=0 and also reveals, that for such universes no horizon problem occurs. In addition the longstanding problem of observationally indicated very low cosmic vacuum energies in contrast to the very large quantumfield estimates is easily solved when the vacuum energy density decay with 1/R^2 is taken into account reconciling presently observed vacuum energy density values with those from theoretical expectations. We also suggest why the mass of the universe can permanently increase and can in fact grow up from a Planck mass as a pure vacuum fluctuation.

This (looks) interesting to me, i am reading it again to try and understand some of it, if anyone is interested maybe they could explain some of the maths.

Last edited:
Space news on Phys.org
Yes, this is an interesting if confused paper. (They introduce an "associated Schwarzschild radius for the universe" while not acknowledging that this is inappropriate for the cosmological case.)

Normally the dynamics of the universe's expansion is derived from its density and pressure contents via the Friedmann equations.

[tex]\frac{dR/dt^2}{r^2} + \frac{kc^2}{R^2} = \frac{8\pi G}{3}[/tex]

and the pressure equation (my LaTex is all screwed up here :frown:)

This leads to the standard model. However this standard model has certain well known problems, which require Inflation, DM and DE unverified in the laboratory.

Fahr and Heyl have forced a linear expansion solution (their equation 9) out of the Friedmann equations, taking k = 0 from the flat-space WMAP results, to derive a solution for rho.

You do end up with a simple and remarkably concordant model, without inflation, however without a physical basis for their assumption that
rho ~ R-2 rather than the normal rho ~ R-3. They do conclude:
Such an assumption, however, would express the trust in the validity of one of the most fundamental laws of physics - the conservation of energy – combined with the belief that this law also holds true for the universe.

They have (almost) rediscovered http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Self_creation_cosmology ! (except the SCC universe is conformally flat with k = +1)

Garth

Last edited by a moderator:
When ever i see a statement like this,

We also suggest why the mass of the universe can permanently increase and can in fact grow up from a Planck mass as a pure vacuum fluctuation.

I wonder if anyone knows what a (vacuum fluctuation) is.

wolram said:
When ever i see a statement like this,

We also suggest why the mass of the universe can permanently increase and can in fact grow up from a Planck mass as a pure vacuum fluctuation.

I wonder if anyone knows what a (vacuum fluctuation) is.
Quite.

Garth

At some stage of cosmological theory some one will have to use the word perpetual, forget philosophy it is a fact, or maybe after we have gone there will be nothing for ever, philisophical ****, i know, but which do you want to think is true?

wolram said:
At some stage of cosmological theory some one will have to use the word perpetual, forget philosophy it is a fact, or maybe after we have gone there will be nothing for ever, philisophical ****, i know, but which do you want to think is true?
It is not a matter of what we want to be true but what actually is so.

The problem is that at the limits of observation science has to give way to untestable speculation.

To say the BB, or whatever, was the result of a "vacuum fluctuation" - nevermind the question "a fluctuation in what?" - is just as much a guess about that which "we want to think is true" as any other.

Garth

This is another example of how easy it is to get a fundamentally unsound paper published on Arxiv. Kudos to Garth [whom I greatly respect] for blowing this nonsense out of the water

A very interesting, well argued and thought out paper. It does not only reflect the ideas of E. Mach but also comes out with a mass equation for the universe which is identical to the findings of Paul Dirac. Beside the provided solutions to some major cosmological problems the conformity with Dirac is worth a deeper look into the author's arguments.

Gate2

Last edited:

What is scale-related mass and how does it affect our understanding of the universe?

Scale-related mass refers to the concept that the mass of an object can change depending on the scale at which it is observed. This has major implications for our understanding of the universe, as it means that the laws of physics may not behave the same at all scales. It also challenges our traditional understanding of gravity and the nature of dark matter.

What are some consequences of scale-related mass for astrophysics and cosmology?

The consequences of scale-related mass for astrophysics and cosmology are significant. It can affect our measurements of the mass of galaxies and galaxy clusters, which in turn affects our understanding of their formation and evolution. It can also impact our understanding of the expansion of the universe and the distribution of dark matter.

How do scientists study scale-related mass and its effects?

Scientists use a variety of methods to study scale-related mass and its effects. This includes observations of the motions of stars and galaxies, simulations and theoretical models, and experiments using particle accelerators. By combining these different approaches, scientists can gain a better understanding of how scale-related mass operates in the universe.

What are some proposed solutions to address the challenges posed by scale-related mass?

One proposed solution to address the challenges posed by scale-related mass is to revise our current theories of gravity, such as Einstein's theory of general relativity. This could potentially lead to a better understanding of the nature of dark matter and explain discrepancies in our observations. Another solution is to continue studying and gathering data about the properties of dark matter and its distribution in the universe.

How does the concept of scale-related mass impact our search for extraterrestrial life?

The concept of scale-related mass has significant implications for our search for extraterrestrial life. It challenges our assumptions about the conditions necessary for life to exist and the types of environments that could support it. It also affects our understanding of the habitable zones around stars and the potential for life on other planets. This highlights the importance of considering scale-related mass in our search for extraterrestrial life.