1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

1 Simple Question.

1. Jan 12, 2008 #1
    My physics exams are on monday.
    I'm going to a univecity and i've never seriously studied physics up to now. I'm making baby steps into learning some of the basics i've never learned.

I've got this one Review Problem i'm having problems solving.

Info : g=10ms^-2 Sin30=0.5 Cos30=0.866

A box of mass m = 50 kg is initially at rest at point A on a floor with coefficient of kinetic friction μk = 0.1 (see figure below). A person starts pulling the box for a distance Δx = 40 m (from point A to point B) with a force FP = 100 N which acts at a 30o angle as shown in the figure and the box moves horizontally.

a) Draw the free-body diagram of all forces acting on the box

Drawing the Free body diagram is easy, i dont need help on this one actually.

b) Find the normal force FN on the box

Need help :(

c) Find the friction force Ffr on the box

If i'd only knew how to find FNormal :(

d) Calculate the acceleration a of the box

a=FNormal / m ( m = mass )
    Sin30= FpY/FP = 0.5 (FPY, Y is the Y axis )

Cos30=FPX/FP = 0.866 (FPX, X is the X axis )

Here on there's supposed to be a way to Convert the above results to Newton Force.
    I dunno how to do that :S

Anyway i need help with these, could someone help me ? :S
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 12, 2008 #2

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

To find the normal force, analyze the vertical components of the forces acting on the box. What must they add to?

To find the acceleration, apply Newton's 2nd law in the horizontal direction. What's the net force on the box?
  4. Jan 12, 2008 #3
    the string applies force vertically and horizontally based on the angle. Use trig to find teh forces.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?