1/sqrt(1+2t) 1+t/sqrt(1+2t)^3

• Thread starter ofiveo
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation is about differentiating a function and finding the derivative of f(x)= 1/sqrt(1+2t). The correct answer is -1/(sqrt(1+2t))^3.
ofiveo
Practice problems for exam, sort of stuck
Question:

I can't seem to format it correctly so I'll write it by text

1/sqrt(1+2t)

The final answer is

1+t/sqrt(1+2t)^3Thank you

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org

Do we get to guess what the question is?

Also, I can't tell what you are trying to write in the second expression you show.

Since you titled this "differentiation", I will guess that you are asking about the derivative of
[tex]f(x)= \frac{1}{\sqrt{1+2t}}[/tex]

Write it as [itex]f(x)= (1+ 2t)^{-1/2}[/itex] and use the "power rule" and the "chain rule":
[tex]f'(x)= -\frac{1}{2}(1+ 2t)^{-3/2}(2)= -\frac{1}{(\sqrt{1+ 2t})^3}[/tex]
That is neither
[tex]1+ \frac{t}{(\sqrt{1+ 2t})^3}[/tex]
nor
[tex]\frac{1+ t}{(\sqrt{1+ 2t})^3}[/tex]

1. What is the purpose of the expression 1/sqrt(1+2t) 1+t/sqrt(1+2t)^3?

The purpose of this expression is to calculate the derivative of the function f(t) = 1/sqrt(1+2t), which represents the velocity of an object in free fall with respect to time.

2. How is this expression derived?

This expression is derived using the quotient rule of differentiation, where the derivative of the numerator is multiplied by the denominator, and the derivative of the denominator is multiplied by the numerator, all divided by the square of the denominator.

3. What is the domain of this expression?

The domain of this expression is all real numbers except for t = -1/2, as this would result in a division by zero, which is undefined.

4. How does this expression relate to physics?

This expression is related to physics because it represents the velocity of an object in free fall, which is a common concept in physics. It also demonstrates the use of calculus in analyzing physical phenomena.

5. Can this expression be simplified?

Yes, this expression can be simplified by factoring out a common term of 1/sqrt(1+2t) from both terms, resulting in the simplified expression of 1/sqrt(1+2t) * (1 + t/sqrt(1+2t)^2).