Solving for x using 1 - tan(theta) in a Trigonometric Equation

• Thread starter James Brady
  • Start date
In summary: It seems to me that the problem in the OP could be the result of a calculation, possibly arising from a rotation of axes by 45 degrees.If one solves for x in the OP and plots it on desmos, the answer will be revealed... but one should get it by hand.
James Brady
This problem is:

[itex]\frac{sin(45)cos(\theta) - cos(45)sin(\theta)}{x} = 1 - tan(\theta)[/itex]

I've been trying to find x mostly just by multiplying things by 1-tan(theta), but so far nothing I've tried yields the numerator.

Also, [itex]sin(45)cos(\theta) - cos(45)sin(\theta) = sin(45 - \theta)[/itex], it that helps...

Physics news on Phys.org
If you are to solve for 'x' why can't you just cross-multiply by 'x' and then divide by '1-tanθ '?

Do you need to simplify or something like that?

Likes 1 person
James Brady said:
This problem is:

[itex]\frac{sin(45)cos(\theta) - cos(45)sin(\theta)}{x} = 1 - tan(\theta)[/itex]

I've been trying to find x mostly just by multiplying things by 1-tan(theta), but so far nothing I've tried yields the numerator.

Also, [itex]sin(45)cos(\theta) - cos(45)sin(\theta) = sin(45 - \theta)[/itex], it that helps...
Is your goal to solve for x? To reduce confusion, that's why we ask posters to use the template and enter the complete problem description.

If you're trying to solve for x, start by multiplying both sides of the equation by x.

James Brady said:
This problem is:

Note that ##\sin(45)\cos(\theta) - \cos(45)\sin(\theta) = \sin(45 - \theta)## and that ##\tan(45 - \theta) = \frac{1 - \tan\theta}{1 + \tan\theta}##.

Likes 1 person
rock.freak667 said:
If you are to solve for 'x' why can't you just cross-multiply by 'x' and then divide by '1-tanθ '?

Do you need to simplify or something like that?

Wow, that seems really obvious to me now that you brought that up, haha. I'm having a pretty bad time doing the long division though... Check it out ->

[itex] x = \frac{sin(45)cos(\theta) - cos(45)sin(\theta)}{-tan(\theta) + 1}[/itex]

I'm doing the leading terms in polynomial long division and I end up with...

[itex]\frac{-sin(45)cos(\theta)}{tan(\theta}[/itex]

Ignoring the sin(45) term, I'm getting [itex]\frac{cos(\theta)}{tan(\theta)}[/itex] = [itex]\frac{adjacent}{hypotenuse}[/itex] * [itex]\frac{adjacent}{opposite}[/itex] = [itex]\frac{adjacent^2}{hypotenuse*opposite}[/itex]

The [itex]\frac{adjacent^2}{hypotenuse*opposite}[/itex] term means nothing to me and doesn't really help solve. It's pretty difficult to figure this one out.

James Brady said:
The [itex]\frac{adjacent^2}{hypotenuse*opposite}[/itex] term means nothing to me and doesn't really help solve. It's pretty difficult to figure this one out.

Which is exactly why that approach won't help you in this problem.

Take a look at Curious3141's post and see what you can do with that.

Likes 1 person
Mentallic said:
Take a look at Curious3141's post and see what you can do with that.

Oh I gotcha... because [itex]\frac{sine(x)}{cosine(x)} = tan(x)[/itex]... So I can just divide by cos(45 - [itex]\theta[/itex]) to end up with tan(45 - [itex]\theta[/itex]) which is equal to [itex]\frac{1 - tan(\theta)}{1 + tan(\theta)}[/itex]

Yeah that makes a sense, thanks everyone.

I am in agreement with post##4##unless i am missing something here, ...what is the ultimate aim of the problem?express ##x## as subject? ...here we have two unknown variables i.e ##θ## and ##x##, from my way of looking at it, we can also have,
##\dfrac {\cos(\theta)-\sin(\theta)}{1-\tan(\theta)}##=##\sqrt{2}####x##

chwala said:
I am in agreement with post##4##unless i am missing something here, ...what is the ultimate aim of the problem?express ##x## as subject? ...here we have two unknown variables i.e ##θ## and ##x##, from my way of looking at it, we can also have,

The left-hand-side can simplify.

James Brady said:
Wow, that seems really obvious to me now that you brought that up, haha. I'm having a pretty bad time doing the long division though... Check it out ->

[itex] x = \frac{sin(45)cos(\theta) - cos(45)sin(\theta)}{-tan(\theta) + 1}[/itex]

I'm doing the leading terms in polynomial long division and I end up with...

[itex]\frac{-sin(45)cos(\theta)}{tan(\theta}[/itex]

Ignoring the sin(45) term, I'm getting [itex]\frac{cos(\theta)}{tan(\theta)}[/itex] = [itex]\frac{adjacent}{hypotenuse}[/itex] * [itex]\frac{adjacent}{opposite}[/itex] = [itex]\frac{adjacent^2}{hypotenuse*opposite}[/itex]

If you're are working strictly in a right angled triangle and have assumed one of the angles to be 45 degrees, your ##theta## will get equal to 45 degrees, making you adjacent = opposite.

So, ##\frac{\cos \theta }{\tan \theta} = \frac{adjacent^2 }{hypotenuse \times opposite} ##
And that would simplify to:
$$
\frac{\cos \theta }{\tan \theta}= \frac{adjacent}{hypotenuse} = \cos \theta = \frac{opposite}{hypotenuse} = \sin \theta$$

[Oh my Lord! What I have written for so long.]

But believe me, it's not something we should really try to make sense.

Hall said:
If you're are working strictly in a right angled triangle and have assumed one of the angles to be 45 degrees, your ##theta## will get equal to 45 degrees, making you adjacent = opposite.

There is nothing that forces one to make this assumption about [itex] \theta [/itex].

It seems to me that the problem in the OP could be the result of a calculation, possibly arising from a rotation of axes by 45 degrees.

If one solves for x in the OP and plots it on desmos, the answer will be revealed... but one should get it by hand.

I think the result by @chwala is the most efficient approach.
There's just one more step.

Likes SammyS
robphy said:
There is nothing that forces one to make this assumption about [itex] \theta [/itex].

It seems to me that the problem in the OP could be the result of a calculation, possibly arising from a rotation of axes by 45 degrees.

If one solves for x in the OP and plots it on desmos, the answer will be revealed... but one should get it by hand.

I think the result by @chwala is the most efficient approach.
There's just one more step.
Which step is that? I do not seem to see it...

also i would desist from going to old posts unless necessary...this should be my last post on any old posts...i have been told to avoid that...my apologies...

chwala said:
Which step is that? I do not seem to see it...

From [itex] (\cos(\theta)-\sin(\theta)) [/itex], factor out [itex] \cos(\theta) [/itex].

ok from,
##\cos(\theta)##×##\dfrac {\cos(\theta)-\sin(\theta)}{\cos(\theta)-\sin(\theta)}##=##\sqrt{2}####x##
⇒##\cos(\theta)##=##\sqrt{2}####x## therefore
##x##=##\dfrac {\cos(\theta)}{\sqrt{2}}##...
now solving this gives us; When ##\theta=0, x=0.707 ## this satisfies our original problem in post ##1##

Last edited:

What is the equation for solving for x using 1 - tan(theta) in a trigonometric equation?

The equation for solving for x using 1 - tan(theta) is x = 1/tan(theta).

How do you simplify 1 - tan(theta) in a trigonometric equation?

To simplify 1 - tan(theta), you can use the identity 1 - tan(theta) = cos(theta) / sin(theta).

Why is 1 - tan(theta) used in trigonometric equations?

1 - tan(theta) is often used in trigonometric equations because it helps to convert a tangent function into a ratio of sine and cosine functions, making it easier to solve for x.

What are the restrictions for using 1 - tan(theta) in a trigonometric equation?

The restriction for using 1 - tan(theta) in a trigonometric equation is that the value of theta cannot be equal to 90 degrees or any other value that makes the denominator (sin(theta)) equal to 0.

How can solving for x using 1 - tan(theta) be applied in real-life situations?

Solving for x using 1 - tan(theta) can be applied in real-life situations such as calculating the height of a tree, determining the angle of elevation for a ladder, or calculating the distance between two objects using triangulation.