Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I 1 trillion frames per second

1. Mar 10, 2017 #1
    First I am not sure if this is the correct place to post this thread, but the thread will be about optics, quantum physics and special relativity, so it is a mixed subject.

Please watch this video first:

This technology allows capturing videos at mind blowing 1 trillion fps, which allows us to see how light propagates in slow motion!

It is a fascinating video, my mind was blown away when I watched it, and it left me puzzled over 2 things:

1- Laser beam captured frozen in space:
    If you watch the video at 1:40 you can clearly see a photo for a bullet of light captured frozen in space. But according to special relativity we are not supposed to be able to see light (moving at c) frozen in all cases, what am I missing here?!

2- Order of events:
    At 9:24 it seems the order of events is reversed! the presenter said:
    Can someone explain what is going on here? Is causality reversed here?!

Thanks,

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 10, 2017 #2

Demystifier

Science Advisor

This one is not a photo of real light, it is just a picture generated by computer.

Last edited: Mar 10, 2017
  4. Mar 10, 2017 #3

Vanadium 50

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

Translation: Please waste 11 minutes of your time so I don't have to provide a summary.

5. Mar 10, 2017 #4
    Why wasting your time by reading a summary :wink: 1 video worth a million words.

6. Mar 10, 2017 #5

Nugatory

Staff: Mentor

There is a reason why real scientific papers have abstracts.

7. Mar 10, 2017 #6

Nugatory

Staff: Mentor

8. Mar 11, 2017 #7
    So no body has an explanation/speculation for the reversed order of events? I though I would find an answer here or at least some ideas.

Last edited: Mar 11, 2017
  9. Mar 11, 2017 #8
    That definitely would explain it
    'Artistic license'

10. Mar 11, 2017 #9
    It's a matter of phase or relative phase between the light wave and the speed of photography; it can make things look like they are going backward.

11. Mar 11, 2017 #10
    I am sure he didn't mean that it is fake or CGI when he said computer generated. The image is reconstructed from thousands of real images, they basically repeat the even thousands of time and each time they record a photo for very short time, and so very little light will be collected and the images will be very dark, but then they combine all the images and process them in a computer to reconstruct a clear image.

12. Mar 12, 2017 #11
    They superpositioned the photographs.

13. Mar 13, 2017 #12

Demystifier

Science Advisor

No, I think this one isn't reconstructed from real images.

14. Mar 15, 2017 #13
    I searched about this but I didn't find a definitive answer, however I found 2 Possible explanations in similar question in http://physics.stackexchange.com, I will put them here for info:

Source: http://physics.stackexchange.com/questions/247022/femtosecond-photography/247051

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted