1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

(1+x)^2/x^6 doesn't simplify?

1. Nov 2, 2005 #1

Pengwuino

Gold Member

Ok I got an equation here...
    [tex]2\sqrt {\frac{{(1 + 2t^4 )^2 }}{{t^6 }}}[/tex]
    is the equation (sorry for misleading title but its the same concept).
    Now I was always under the assumption that the top square could be removed as long as you reduce the bottom to [tex]t^3[/tex] since [tex]t^3[/tex] squared is [tex]t^6[/tex] and that you can cancel out squares like that. I guess I'm wrong? I'm running some examples in my mind and I'm kinda realizing you can't do it... but i feel like ive always thought it was true for soem reason.
    I also did a simplification through mathematica and found out that the square root actually allows you to remove the [tex]^3[/tex] to get to the [tex]t^3[/tex].
    The first question i'm asking is: without that square root... would I be able to simplify?
    The 2nd question is exactly why I am able to use that square root to simplify. Sorry if its confusing....

Last edited: Nov 2, 2005
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 2, 2005 #2

TD

Homework Helper

Well you can get rid off the square root, since

[tex]
    \sqrt {\frac{{a^2 }}
    {{b^2 }}} = \sqrt {\left( {\frac{a}
    {b}} \right)^2 } = \left| {\frac{a}
    {b}} \right|[/tex]

4. Nov 2, 2005 #3

Pengwuino

Gold Member

Yah I was under the impression that even without that square root, it could turn into a/b

5. Nov 2, 2005 #4
    Just remember that the quantity has to remain positive. So the simplification of the original equation is:
    [tex]
    |{1/t^3 + 2t}|[/tex]

6. Nov 2, 2005 #5
    If you want to see the reduction broken down then this is what you should do.
    [tex] 2\sqrt{\frac{(1+t^4)^2}{t^6}} =2\left(\frac{(1+t^4)^{2\frac{1}{2}}}{t^6}\right)^{\frac{1}{2}}[/tex]
    [tex]=2\frac{(1+t^4)^{2\frac{1}{2}}}{t^{6\frac{1}{2}}}=2\frac{1+t^4}{t^3} [/tex]
    [tex]=2t^{-3}+2t^{-3+4}=|2(t^{-3}+t)| [/tex]

which almost yields the same result as knavish. I think he is missing a factor of 2 somewhere in there as

p.s. sorry I didn't break it down with the absolute value signs, but those were already explained pretty well... and for some reason I like to add them afterwards. bad habit i guess

Last edited: Nov 2, 2005
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?