Making 10,000ppm Hypochlorite Solution

• Thread starter indoubt
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses how to make a 10,000ppm hypochlorite solution and whether 1ppm is the same as 1mg/l. It is determined that density needs to be considered when calculating the required amount of hypochlorite to add to fill one liter of solution. The person mentions using Sodium hypochlorite with a stock concentration of 12% and asks for help in making a 10,000ppm solution from it. The other person suggests using the concentration (12%) to find the density and then calculating the concentration as 1.2x105 ppm. The appropriate dilution method is also mentioned. However, there is a disagreement about the density and the person asks for
indoubt
I have to make a solution of 10,000ppm hypochlorite, since 1ppm is like 1mg/l for a solute in water solution. Does this mean that i have to add 10,000mg hypochlorite in 1liter water? If hypochlorite is in a liquid form, should i take into account its density and from that to find the volume i add to the water to get a total of 1 litre?

Besides; Is 1ppm the same like 1mg/l ? Or does it depend in other factors like both the densities of the solute and solvent? :frown:

Hope for ideas. THanks.

Last edited:
Chemistry news on Phys.org
Yes, you should consider its density to calculate the final mass, from there add the required amount (10.00 mg) to fill up a one liter of solution, which will give you a 10.00 ppm solution.

The one i use is Sodium hypochlorite (NaOCl), with a stock concentration of 12%. Will you please show me how to make 10,000ppm hypochlorite from a 12% stock? It does not have density, i think.

It has density, as every other liquid. However, I can't find a table at the moment :(

Smarkotan oz gluthozmaz

Last edited by a moderator:
If your concentration (12%) is 12 grams of solute in 100 mL of solution, then we know the density. From there, you'll find the concentration as 1.2x105 ppm if you recalculate. Appropriate dilution will give you what you need.

chem_tr said:
If your concentration (12%) is 12 grams of solute in 100 mL of solution, then we know the density.

I think you are wrong. Could you show how to calculate the density in such a case?

Last edited by a moderator:

1. How do I make a 10,000ppm hypochlorite solution?

Making a 10,000ppm hypochlorite solution involves diluting a concentrated hypochlorite solution with water. First, determine the concentration of your concentrated solution. Then, use the formula C1V1 = C2V2 to calculate the volume of concentrated solution (V1) needed to make 1 liter of 10,000ppm solution. Fill a 1 liter container with water and add the calculated volume of concentrated solution. Mix well.

2. What is the purpose of making a 10,000ppm hypochlorite solution?

A 10,000ppm hypochlorite solution is commonly used as a disinfectant in various industries, including healthcare, food processing, and water treatment. It is effective against a wide range of bacteria, viruses, and fungi, making it a powerful tool for preventing the spread of disease.

3. Can I use any type of water to make a 10,000ppm hypochlorite solution?

It is recommended to use distilled or deionized water to make a 10,000ppm hypochlorite solution. This is because the presence of minerals and other impurities in tap water can affect the accuracy and effectiveness of the solution. However, if distilled or deionized water is not available, you can use tap water but make sure to filter it first.

4. What safety precautions should I take when making a 10,000ppm hypochlorite solution?

Hypochlorite solutions can be hazardous if not handled properly. It is important to wear appropriate personal protective equipment, such as gloves and goggles, when handling concentrated solutions. Also, make sure to work in a well-ventilated area to avoid inhaling any fumes. After making the solution, label the container clearly and store it in a safe place away from children and other chemicals.

5. How long does a 10,000ppm hypochlorite solution remain effective?

The effectiveness of a 10,000ppm hypochlorite solution depends on various factors, such as the type and concentration of the initial solution, the quality of water used, and the storage conditions. Generally, if stored in a cool, dark place, the solution can remain effective for several months. However, it is recommended to make a fresh solution every 24 hours for optimal disinfection.