Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

10-11% of america is estimated to be gay

1. Dec 20, 2003 #1
    Something like 10-11% of america is estimated to be gay, how the hell has a characteristic like this become so prevalent when it's carriers don't breed and it's not contagious? Has there been anything anomolous, such as a lack/over abundance of any hormones or difference in some part/funcion of the brain found constant throughout gays?

Last edited: Dec 20, 2003
  2. jcsd
  3. Dec 20, 2003 #2
    If homosexuality is the result of recessive genes, heterosexuals can carry the gene and pass it down, right?

MIT professor Steven Pinker, I believe, in his book The Blank Slate, says a unique brain structure is found in homosexuals. Or it was the American Psychological Associations new book "Behavioral Genetics in the Post-Genomic Era." If it's worth it, you can check out those two books, or get reviews of them at http://www.neoeugenics.com/

4. Dec 21, 2003 #3

Another God

Staff Emeritus
    Gold Member

There is also the fact that in the past Homosexuality wasn't acceptable, and so many homosexual people were forced into heterosexual relationships by their society, and so they bred and had offspring.

So the act of denying homosexuality has most likely been the most powerful force of perpetuation for it.

5. Dec 21, 2003 #4
    From TalkOrigins.org:

Last edited: Dec 21, 2003
  6. Dec 22, 2003 #5
    Well, historically (especially in homosexually oppressive time such as the las few hundred years in this country) homosexuals do often breed.
    How many stories have you heard about husbands/fathers coming out of the closet?
    I would say that at least as many people that label themselves homosexuals have had heterosexual sex as people that label themselves heterosexual and have had homosexual sex.
    Besides that, your question ignored bisexuals.

I posted an opinion on another forum a while back that I think addresses this topic...

7. Dec 22, 2003 #6

NateTG

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Old/Crackpot theory

One of the theories that I've heard is that a causal factor for homosexuality is having the foetus exposed to testosterone. This can occur if the mother is under certain types of stress during pregnancy.

Under widespread chaos, this would lead to a more androgynous population, while maintaining strong gender roles during good times. Which can make sense from a species survival point of view.

8. Dec 22, 2003 #7

Monique

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Homosexuality and exposure to testosterone.. are you sure? Wouldn't that cause a more masculine phenotype?

9. Dec 22, 2003 #8

NateTG

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Well, it isn't my theory, I just wanted to throw it out there as a variation. The notion of altered foetal environment in general having a correlation with homosexuality is something that can be tested with good numbers about homosexual population, but those are hard to come by.

10. Dec 22, 2003 #9

Monique

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Yes, but in that case it is a little nuanced: an offset balance of testosterone/estrogen would probably be the cause and not just the exposure to testosterone :P

Testing foetal expression levels is not that unambigious and you'd also have to follow that individual for life and hope it comes out of the 'closet'.

As an individual the hormone levels of homosexuals are the same as heterosexuals, but there IS evidence that certain areas of the brain have developed slightly differently..

11. Dec 23, 2003 #10
    Certain females expose themselfes to extremely high testosterone levels, even up to 10 x's as high as a normal male and they are no more or less of a male then they were before the exposure. Mentally speaking of course.

Nautica

12. Dec 23, 2003 #11

iansmith

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

There is a mental change. New research have show that a female expose to testosterone equivalent to male will have mental changes. They did some brain scan with mental exercise and some other mental/physical excercise. The brain pattern and exercise results are becoming more equivalent to the male after about 6 months.

13. Dec 23, 2003 #12
    Trust me on this one. Mentally, they are still very much female.

Nautica

14. Dec 23, 2003 #13
    It sounds like you are discussing homosexuality like its a disease.

15. Dec 23, 2003 #14

adrenaline

Science Advisor

i think you are talking about congenital adrenal hyperplasia which does increase the inutero exposure to testosterone in women as well post birth exposure to testosterone if not diagnosed early and treated in time.

These women do have higher rates of homosexual or bisexual tendencies.
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?cmd=Retrieve&db=PubMed&list_uids=1438641&dopt=Abstract

http://www.boskydell.com/political/outlooks.htm
    http://health.ftmaustralia.org/library/96/1200.pdf

general lecture in reproductive medicine on
    CAH http://home.epix.net/~tcannon1/Physioweek9.htm

Thus suggesting prentatal hormonal environment affects sexual orientation.

Last edited: Dec 23, 2003
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?